Jan 9, 2007 Tenant Announcement

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Jan 9, 2007 Tenant Announcement

Post by Highlander »

Thrillcekr wrote: Besides, there are bound to be a few tenants who won't survive long in P&L.  We can always cross our fingers and hope that it's Famous Dave's that falls.  Of course, you can assist by not going in there and by steering your friends, family, and the occassional visitor you run into away from there.   8)
As much as I doubt if I will ever eat chain BBQ in KC, I hope this place does well if only just for the reputation of P&L District and DT KC.  I really think it would be bad if some of the higher profile restaurants (which unfortunately, I believe this is probably one of them), that is successful across the US, fails in the P&L District.  That might just send a bad message to prospective tenants.  For sure, some of these places will fail because they either were not the right places at the right time or place, and others because they just suck, but let's hope the district first gains a reputation as a good place to be....and then a few years down the road....out with Famous Daves and in with Arthur Bryants!
Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

Highlander wrote: As much as I doubt if I will ever eat chain BBQ in KC, I hope this place does well if only just for the reputation of P&L District and DT KC.  I really think it would be bad if some of the higher profile restaurants (which unfortunately, I believe this is probably one of them), that is successful across the US, fails in the P&L District.  That might just send a bad message to prospective tenants.  For sure, some of these places will fail because they either were not the right places at the right time or place, and others because they just suck, but let's hope the district first gains a reputation as a good place to be....and then a few years down the road....out with Famous Daves and in with Arthur Bryants!
You misspelled "Gates," but I agree, it's far more about attracting the largest amount of patrons possible than how authentically "Kansas City" the BBQ joint is.  If Dave's can draw huge crowds, then by all means put in two, lets just get that critical mass we need so badly downtown.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Pretty sure I couldn't have scripted up a more comical "Tenant Announcement" list if I tried.

Seriously, another freakin' Famous Dave's BBQ chain and Joseph A. Bank?

Awesome.  What's next, A Men's Wearhouse and a Chili's???

This thing is really shaping up.................
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

MidtownCat wrote: Awesome.  What's next, A Men's Wearhouse and a Chili's???

This thing is really shaping up.................
"I guarantee it."

-George Zimmer, President, Men's Wearhouse

[/quote]
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Brodees wrote: I would imagine it's a play off of the Chinese meal called "Dim Sum."
or maybe its just a stupid name by some stupid american businessmen who couldnt think of a better name..so called it...gimme sum...just like it sounds..Give me some...like...err.r...im hungry man! In reality it probably has zero percent to do with any kind of chinese background naming, that would cost to much and require too much thought to get done.  either way I think its lame..for more than one reason
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

im2kull wrote: or maybe its just a stupid name by some stupid american businessmen who couldnt think of a better name..so called it...gimme sum...just like it sounds..Give me some...like...err.r...im hungry man! In reality it probably has zero percent to do with any kind of chinese background naming, that would cost to much and require too much thought to get done.  either way I think its lame..for more than one reason
Actually, I am pretty sure its a take off from the Chinese cooking/serving style called "Dim Sum".  But, I agree it is a really dopey name. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dim_sum
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Highlander wrote: Actually, I am pretty sure its a take off from the Chinese cooking/serving style called "Dim Sum".  But, I agree it is a really dopey name. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dim_sum
why dont you think its just a lame name from an underachieving businessman who just threw out "give me some" and made it "gimme sum"...

..look at the resturant..then tell me if you think there was enough brains behind the operation to make a clever gimme sum name based off "dim sum"
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Seriously, did somebody make this up as a joke?

This stuff isn’t even a big deal in Manhattan, KS.

I’m having a hard time believing that Famous Daves and Chipotle merit a tenant announcement for our world class entertainment and dining destination.
Last edited by MidtownCat on Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

i was checking out their website (Gimme Sum), it looks like they are also planning locations in Olathe and at the Legends in addition to P+L. lame....
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

im2kull wrote: why dont you think its just a lame name from an underachieving businessman who just threw out "give me some" and made it "gimme sum"...

..look at the resturant..then tell me if you think there was enough brains behind the operation to make a clever gimme sum name based off "dim sum"
Well, perhaps because they called it Gimme Sum not Gimme Some!  Of course, they could just be talking about sum as a mathmatical term??  In any event, you can always write the owners and find out ....  here is a form where you can request information about a franchise...or about the franchise's name.

http://www.franchise.com/en/us/template ... y/SO:N1746:
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

MidtownCat wrote: I’m having a hard time believing that Famous Daves and Chipotle merit a tenant announcement for our world class entertainment and dining destination.

I think they were trying to blow everyone's socks off with Gordon Biersch and Mosaic Lounge, not Daves and Chipotle. Only thing is, they forgot that they had already announced Gordon Biersch like 5 months ago. For a second, I thought I was having deja vu or something. Nice goin' Blake. Way to stay on top of things.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Highlander wrote: Well, perhaps because they called it Gimme Sum not Gimme Some!  Of course, they could just be talking about sum as a mathmatical term??  In any event, you can always write the owners and find out ....  here is a form where you can request information about a franchise...or about the franchise's name.

http://www.franchise.com/en/us/template ... y/SO:N1746:
I laughed my ass off at this post because I can just imagine a bunch of white collar white dudes sitting around thinking up retarded names for restaurants, like "Give me some". They might as well have called it "Food".  :lol:

So I'm wondering if they intended for it to be pronounced "Gim Sum". Because there's no fuckin' way in hell Americans are going to pick up on it. Everyone here will think it's a play on "Give me some", as I and im2kull thought.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

damn, lighten up.  so what if its chains. so what if its gimme sum or Famous Dave's. If you are expecting unique, cutting edge restaurants all ove the P&L district, then you've not been to any big city in the world.

I'm more impressed that they are at 85% leased, and that a cool lounge is opening, as well as the Bristol. Bank may be a standard retailer, but its a national clothing retailer in the downtown loop. Macy's isn't downtown, nor Dillards, nor Sax, or any other national retailer.  There isn't going to be a larger number of high end retailers locating downtown unless and until the damand is there.  This men's shop will serve the convention and hotel business, residents, and workers. The clothing will at least be more affordable than  a Brooks Brothers or Armani or Kate Spade.

Try not to sound the death knell until the distict is open at least. Then you can sit back and judge what a shit poor job Cordish did. As many will do.  :roll:
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

tat2kc wrote: damn, lighten up.  so what if its chains. so what if its gimme sum or Famous Dave's. If you are expecting unique, cutting edge restaurants all ove the P&L district, then you've not been to any big city in the world.

I'm more impressed that they are at 85% leased, and that a cool lounge is opening, as well as the Bristol. Bank may be a standard retailer, but its a national clothing retailer in the downtown loop. Macy's isn't downtown, nor Dillards, nor Sax, or any other national retailer.  There isn't going to be a larger number of high end retailers locating downtown unless and until the damand is there.  This men's shop will serve the convention and hotel business, residents, and workers. The clothing will at least be more affordable than  a Brooks Brothers or Armani or Kate Spade.

Try not to sound the death knell until the distict is open at least. Then you can sit back and judge what a shit poor job Cordish did. As many will do.  :roll:
=D>
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Indeed. The last thing we need is another damn upscale hoity-toity shopping district with nothing but overpriced clothes and food. The more the thing resembles a functional neighborhood the better.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

we arent complaining about the chinese resturant...purely the name..
THINK (ONE) KC.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

im2kull wrote: we arent complaining about the chinese resturant...purely the name..
Actually I'm not complaining about it. I just thought the whole discussion was hilarious. They could call it "Me Love You Long Time" and I'd still be OK with it.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

exactly, Toss. Its got to be a place people will want to go to every day, and can afford to patronize a lot.  Upscale is awesome, but everyday ammenties are just as important.  A bar you can afford to hang out in frequently. Retail that meets the routine needs of locals, as well as higher end. The more diverse the mix, the better the chance of success.

Whats the big deal about the name? There used to be several places in the French Quarter called Chinese takee outee. Fried stuff on a stick. Cheesy and goofy, but at 4 am, when you're wasted, it was freaking awesome! No one got pissy about the name. We laughed. and we loved it. If Gimmee Sum gets your panties in a wad, then you really aren't going to be happy.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

tat2kc wrote: exactly, Toss. Its got to be a place people will want to go to every day, and can afford to patronize a lot.  Upscale is awesome, but everyday ammenties are just as important.  A bar you can afford to hang out in frequently. Retail that meets the routine needs of locals, as well as higher end. The more diverse the mix, the better the chance of success.

Whats the big deal about the name? There used to be several places in the French Quarter called Chinese takee outee. Fried stuff on a stick. Cheesy and goofy, but at 4 am, when you're wasted, it was freaking awesome! No one got pissy about the name. We laughed. and we loved it. If Gimmee Sum gets your panties in a wad, then you really aren't going to be happy.
To be honest, I rather think the mix that has been announced so far is great for KC and downtown.  A few cheaper places and a few nice classy places.  Basically something for everyone.  And there are undoubtedly more to come.  While Famous Dave's is not exactly a place I would frequent, I hope it does well.....I'll be watching it from Bristols or HRC (which my kids love).  I'll probably even go to Gimme Sum...although I still think the name leaves a bit to be desired (I would prefer Gimme Gimme...now that sounds like really big portions). 

Having said all that, look what the discussion is about here....the creators of Gimme Sum aren't that dumb afterall...certainly creating some name recognition!
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Blake is right, this definitely won't be competing with the plaza.  At this rate we're going to have a tough time competing for tourism dollars with Crackerneck Falls.

I really have a hard time buying this argument of we need more mundane suburban bullcrap downtown.  I thought the intention was to establish a world class dining and entertainment district.

You talk about building infastrucutre, and how downtown needs this stuff.  You really think downtown dwellers are going to support a place like this, much less be able to entice Joe Shmoe in Olathe or Lee's Summit to load up the minivan to head downtown when he's got the same thing a block from his house.  Hell, if Applebee's couldn't survive downtown, why is this place going to?  People living downtown want places of interest.  Most of them are affluent, discriminating clientelle.  Given a choice, they'll spend their money at a place like Nara of the Cashew 9 out of 10 times over a place like Fred P Ottes.

When we visited 4rth Street Live in Louisville this summer we went to the Maker's Mark Lounge and Lucky Strike.  Why, because we all wanted a fun and unique experience.

It's like expecting visitors to Baltimore to eat at Joe's Crab Shack.  It won't happen.