Borders/Barnes and Noble?

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
barkerr
New York Life
New York Life

Borders/Barnes and Noble?

Post by barkerr »

Do you think either of these companies would consider becoming part of the Power and Light district? It seems to me that either would do well once more of the lofts are filled with residents. Many downtowns have one or both of these stores downtown and seem to do reasonably well.

Any thoughts?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Borders/Barnes and Noble?

Post by dangerboy »

Cordish has said there would be a big bookstore.  They usually do business with Barnes & Noble, but there is already one nearby on the Plaza.  So, the question is, is there room for B&N in both places, or would Cordish break with precedent and work with Borders?
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Downtown and the Plaza are at least 4 miles apart or more, and on a pedestrianized scale that may as well be fifty miles, if the point is for downtown residents to have something accessible without having to drive. My bet is there will be a Barnes and Noble.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

how about something more like the "Tattered Cover"  in Denver?  A while back I heard rumblings that they were interested.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

zonk wrote: how about something more like the "Tattered Cover"  in Denver?  A while back I heard rumblings that they were interested.
I visited that bookstore in Denver, years ago. It was a memorable experience. Great store.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
barkerr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by barkerr »

Tosspot wrote: Downtown and the Plaza are at least 4 miles apart or more, and on a pedestrianized scale that may as well be fifty miles, if the point is for downtown residents to have something accessible without having to drive. My bet is there will be a Barnes and Noble.
This is pretty much what I was thinking, especially the fact that the new downtown is supposed to have everything available to residents on foot, thereby negating the Plaza's bookstores and those in NKC.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i hope they do something different than b+n, they need to differentiate the p+l from the plaza and everything else in the metro every chance they get in my opinion. downtown needs the entire metro to come in to spend their money, not just downtown residents. this is what has made downtown denver, and every other similar downtown revitalization work.

then again, im not in the marketing business. who knows.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

warwickland wrote: i hope they do something different than b+n, they need to differentiate the p+l from the plaza and everything else in the metro every chance they get in my opinion.
Perhaps, but bookstores are rarely going to be the reason anyone ventures to P&L. It will be a nice ancillary reason to go, maybe do some browsing while waiting for a hockey game, or something to shop for after dinner at the Hard Rock. I don't think anyone will be coming to see the unique bookstore at P&L.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

If it had a big selection of used books -- like Columbia's Acorn Books times 20 -- I'd make a trip just for that.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KC0KEK wrote: If it had a big selection of used books -- like Columbia's Acorn Books times 20 -- I'd make a trip just for that.
if it had exactly the same selection as Acorn or Columbia Books, i'd make a trip just for that! 

i wish Powell's in Portland was interested in exporting that concept to other cities.  it's the perfect bookstore.
catfish1812
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by catfish1812 »

I'm guessing there will not be a b+n in the power and light district.  When the b+n on Barry Rd. (now Zona Rosa) was ready to open, the Plaza store filed a lawsuit based on the fact that the two locations were too close.  I guess when b+n opened on the plaza they had some agreement that another store wouldn't open within 10 miles (or something like that).  Then opening was delayed 3 weeks before both sides could work it out.
you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

If Zona, The Plaza, Gateway / Mission, etc all sign agreements with BN and Borders not to open proximity stores then BN and Borders are screwing themselves out of position and leaving DT wide open to competitors.  If these deals include Waldenbooks (Borders) and B. Dalton (BN) then they've really missed it.  If that's the case, then nice going, guys.  A really big Waldenbooks would have been perfect.

Maybe Rainy Day Books could hop in and one-up the Borders they've been fretting about in Mission.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

chrizow wrote: if it had exactly the same selection as Acorn or Columbia Books, i'd make a trip just for that! 

i wish Powell's in Portland was interested in exporting that concept to other cities.  it's the perfect bookstore.
Powell's is one of the reasons DT Portland flourishes. It is a tourist draw in itself, and people plan vacations  to include a visit.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

catfish1812 wrote: the Plaza store filed a lawsuit based on the fact that the two locations were too close. 
the store filed suit or Highwoods filed suit?  i don't think B+N would sue itself.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: the store filed suit or Highwoods filed suit?  i don't think B+N would sue itself.
Exactly, I don't think B&N is a franchise operation. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

dangerboy wrote: Cordish has said there would be a big bookstore.  They usually do business with Barnes & Noble, but there is already one nearby on the Plaza.  So, the question is, is there room for B&N in both places, or would Cordish break with precedent and work with Borders?
Cordish has Borders in Louisville. I'd strongly assume Borders is the store of choice because they don't have any stores within 10 miles of this site.

This is kind like a Starbucks vs. Caribou debate.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I didn't see anything in the more recent renderings that looked like a likely location for a Borders or B&N so I have been feeling a bit pessimistic about the prospects.  If that is indeed true than I will be disapointed as that was one of the things I was most looking forward to as a downtown resident.  A giant bookstore with coffee shop, within walking distance would be a dream come true.  Though it could ultimately lead to my financial ruin. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

catfish1812 wrote: I'm guessing there will not be a b+n in the power and light district.  When the b+n on Barry Rd. (now Zona Rosa) was ready to open, the Plaza store filed a lawsuit based on the fact that the two locations were too close.  I guess when b+n opened on the plaza they had some agreement that another store wouldn't open within 10 miles (or something like that).  Then opening was delayed 3 weeks before both sides could work it out.
Nichols sued B&N because of an exclusivity clause in the tenant agreement for their Plaza store. This was before places like B&N were as common in the exurburban landscape as Quik Trip. B&N sued owners of Town Center Plaza for overpayment of their lease...they have renderings for a replacement store at Corbin Park on 135th.
LenexatoKCMO wrote: I didn't see anything in the more recent renderings that looked like a likely location for a Borders or B&N so I have been feeling a bit pessimistic about the prospects.  If that is indeed true than I will be disapointed as that was one of the things I was most looking forward to as a downtown resident.  A giant bookstore with coffee shop, within walking distance would be a dream come true.  Though it could ultimately lead to my financial ruin. 
I saw that too...it seemed like the large book store footprint disappeared along Main in the newest site plans.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

Actually, the idea mentioned earlier, about Rainy Day Books going in would be perfect.  It's well known in the area, they bring in great authors all the time, Very friendly staff, and they are local!  Throw in a nice coffee bar and you'd have the ideal urban bookstore.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Can Rainy Day afford the rent? I thought that steep leases were a major reason why many locals have decided not to go into the P+L.