OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Five Light

Post by gfenn11 »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:09 am There's already a parking garage entrance.

I would love it if they would use this for the entrance but I have a feeling they won't.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

There won't be a car hole on Main, that's for sure.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Car entrance will be on Baltimore, but I’m not convinced that the only people entrance will be mid-block on Main. I really think that they will have that as access to the garage from Main and the glass cube will be the grand entrance for businesspeople in the tower.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

So is this tower part of Power and Light? In the paper it mentions Copaken as developer? Would the business like Yardhouse remain open during construction?

Nice design. The unique design makes it look much shorter than 25 floors in the renderings though. I was hoping the next tower in KC would be along Grand to infill some of the open spaces north of Sprint Arena. It's a great addition but like so many things in KC, developers tend to concentrate activities in the same locale even resorting to tear downs rather than going a couple of blocks down the street (in this case it's building over an existing building). Main will be super dense.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It's part of the power and light agreement. The district was built with the idea that HR Block would build tower 2 there. That obviously never happened, but they retained development rights. I believe they were extended recently with the idea of this happening.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:55 am Car entrance will be on Baltimore, but I’m not convinced that the only people entrance will be mid-block on Main. I really think that they will have that as access to the garage from Main and the glass cube will be the grand entrance for businesspeople in the tower.
Why would they give up rentable corner retail space to create an entrance when they already have an empty section set aside mid-block for that purpose?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I would love anyone with inside information to jump in, but my understanding is that the lobby and entrance are all predesigned
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

FangKC wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:48 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:55 am Car entrance will be on Baltimore, but I’m not convinced that the only people entrance will be mid-block on Main. I really think that they will have that as access to the garage from Main and the glass cube will be the grand entrance for businesspeople in the tower.
Why would they give up rentable corner retail space to create an entrance when they already have an empty section set aside mid-block for that purpose?
Because businesses want it. Look at H&R Block across the street. Big lobby that makes a splash when clients come in with security and space to gather.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

I'm not buying that at all. The tower is mid-block so that corner isn't underneath it. They would have to take out Jos A. Bank as well to reach the elevators.

The mid-block lobby will be two stories and not that small square footage-wise, I don't see the issue.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:24 pm I'm not buying that at all. The tower is mid-block so that corner isn't underneath it. They would have to take out Jos A. Bank as well to reach the elevators.

The mid-block lobby will be two stories and not that small square footage-wise, I don't see the issue.
Just a question...we’ll see! :)
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

WoodDraw wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:02 pm I would love anyone with inside information to jump in, but my understanding is that the lobby and entrance are all predesigned
I have no inside information, but I have always thought it was common knowledge (among those of us who care, haha) that the blank facade between Yard House and Jos. A Bank was the entrance of a future tower, with loading areas accessed from Baltimore. Parking is either the Hilton entrance or the Baltimore side. There is no suggestion of a parking entrance on Main.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This is a sidenote, but KC lost another potential 700 jobs to Memphis. An ag-startup company, that is growing fast, is taking 64,000 sq. feet in Toyota Center, with eventual expansion up to 175,000 sq. feet in the future. Combined with Starbucks passing on Kansas City in its' search for 100,000 sq. feet of office space, this might explain the two new office projects going forth along 13th Street in downtown--the other being on the NE corner of 13th and Wyandotte.

Both of those out-of-Kansas City companies landing here would have also probably increased the demand for more downtown and central city housing.

KC made the finals for ag-tech company's 700-job expansion, but (spoiler alert) didn't get it

Kansas City was in the running to land ag-tech startup Indigo Ag’s North American headquarters, a project that will now bring 700 jobs to Memphis.

The Boston-based company, which wanted to locate the office in a market near to its agriculture-industry customers, picked Memphis after winnowing its list of candidates to six cities, according to the Daily Memphian. In addition to Kansas City and Memphis, the company considered Chicago, Dallas, Minneapolis and St. Louis.
Business Journal of Kansas City
https://tinyurl.com/y7d6ocr8

Memphis Business Journal
It's official: Downtown startup to bring 700 jobs, $6.6M investment

...The company first established operations in Memphis in late 2016. Earlier this year, it moved its local offices from a building on Rozelle Street in Midtown to a 22,000-square-foot floor in Downtown's Toyota Center building.

Since August, the tech firm has increased its headcount in Tennessee from 60 to 175. It plans to add another 525 within the next two or three years, Perry said, with the other 175 new jobs coming after that.

Indigo plans to soon occupy 64,000 square feet of space — about three floors — in Toyota Center, which will be renamed Indigo Plaza. Eventually, Perry said, he expects his company to occupy most of the 175,000-square-foot building.
Memphis Business Journal
https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/new ... obs-6.html

Toyota Center
The 8-story, 200,000-square-foot historic renovation of a 1913 dry goods building was performed in compliance with U.S. Department of the Interior National Park Service guidelines. Rehabilitated as an integral part of the downtown Memphis ballpark development, the building is adjacent to AutoZone Park and houses the ballpark catering kitchen, team offices, private club, retail store and Class A office space. The building’s renovation included repairing the building’s original skin and structure, providing architectural design services and complete new mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire protection systems.
http://www.lrk.com/projects/toyota-center/

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 65855.html

Council holds both Strata office tower on Five Light and 3rd & Grand office building. Also, Quinton Lucas voted against them and lost my vote for mayor.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:02 pm https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 65855.html

Council holds both Strata office tower on Five Light and 3rd & Grand office building. Also, Quinton Lucas voted against them and lost my vote for mayor.
Katherine Shields' term is up in 2019. I hope we never see her in politics again.

I do not have as strong as feelings about QL. He strikes me as a thoughtful guy, and while I don't agree with everything he does seem to have measured opinions about development and low inc housing. He does not have a chance for Mayor.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

If I could vote, Lucas would not be by choice. He seems to me to be a politician at heart, a panderer. I don't think he would do what's best for KC.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Jolie for the win.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:29 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:02 pm https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 65855.html

Katherine Shields' term is up in 2019. I hope we never see her in politics again.
But who will run against her?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

The 4th district is maddening. Shields will win basically unopposed and then be term limited next time. Then, Jim Glover will run again and win. It’s the vortex of hell.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Two people have filed to run against Shields -- Austin Strassle and Robert Westfall.

https://www.austinstrassle.com/
https://robertwestfall.com/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Shields has it if she wants it.