OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: H&R Block's Second Tower?

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:07 pm
mgh7676 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:04 pm Recently saw a promo video for a possible tower on this site (directly west of H&R block tower). Won't be a new tallest or anything, but would certainly be a nice/unique addition to our skyline. I don't know any additional details or likelihood of the project happening, hoping the video is released sometime soon!

Also, to shoot down any rumors, the proposed tower was NOT in the "Light" series! :)
Any updates on this?
Guess nothing besides the construction company rumors I mentioned before
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Five Light

Post by KCPowercat »

Strata announced by collison on this site. 16 stories.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Spec proposal - 25 stories including parking/retail...
https://twitter.com/kckansascity?ref_sr ... r%5Eauthor
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

earthling wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:10 pm Spec proposal - 25 stories including parking/retail...
https://twitter.com/kckansascity?ref_sr ... r%5Eauthor
Link isn't working for me

Edit: works for me now. Excellent news!
Last edited by TheLastGentleman on Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Fixed his first tweet. Used to say 16. Like this much better.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

With there being a need for new office space downtown, wonder why Cordish never ventured into a mixed use tower, especially given the incentives they were (previously) getting to help with the parking garage. Nine or ten stories for a garage with some of the spaces shared between office and residents, ten stories of office and 25 stories for residential. Does the extra height make it financially prohibitive to insert office space that would provide some nice revenue?

I like this development getting underway in Austin. https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/ ... 1403034492
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kcjak wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:33 pm With there being a need for new office space downtown, wonder why Cordish never ventured into a mixed use tower, especially given the incentives they were (previously) getting to help with the parking garage.
Two Light is a mixed use tower with retail and office space in it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

25 stories is a complete surprise to me. At 250K sqft total, the floor plates will be smaller than those of 1 Light. In fact, it appears that the office tower is going to take up just the empty portion of the block. It will not stand above any existing building.

Overall I am excited by the project and am looking forward to a modern/slim tower downtown.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

edit
Last edited by earthling on Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:57 pm 25 stories is a complete surprise to me. At 250K sqft total, the floor plates will be smaller than those of 1 Light. In fact, it appears that the office tower is going to take up just the empty portion of the block. It will not stand above any existing building.
that would be hard. to just go over the loading area is only 135k per floor.

Using the existing columns that are inside the existing buildings is your 250k floorprint.

N-S that's about 50% of the block, E-W 80%.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Star has it... 250K sqft? Looks like it will cover full block, not small floor plates? 16 floors at 250Ksqft sounds skinny. Biz tends to prefer large floor plates. HR Block is abut 500Ksqft with 17 floors. Parking reduced to 750 spaces instead of abut 1300 originally proposed for spot.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 47040.html
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Oops. The entire block is only 70k square feet. So a 250k sq foot tower would be 4 floors.

The area over the empty space is about 11k square feet. So it would need to only cover the dock to hit 25 floors and 250k total. That's without parking

half parking, half office (13 floors of office) gets you to the the existing column footprint of about 24k square feet. That's about right for a 1300 space garage

The 8 floor, half block P&L garage has 2000 spaces.
65% the spots would bes 5 floors, and half the physical space is ten floors.

So it will probably have about 10 floors of parking and 15 floors of office and take up half the building with big setbacks
Last edited by flyingember on Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Hope the 25 stories does not include the parking structure. A big win for DT and for the streetcar reducing parking needs.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I'm guessing since Copaken is involved in this tower that we can assume nothing is going to happen with their project at 13th & Grand anytime soon.

We'll have quite a few cranes up if this all goes through. Convention Hotel, 3 light, 1800 Walnut, Strata, City Club (?), Hotel Bravo (?)...
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

kboish wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:40 pm I'm guessing since Copaken is involved in this tower that we can assume nothing is going to happen with their project at 13th & Grand anytime soon.

We'll have quite a few cranes up if this all goes through. Convention Hotel, 3 light, 1800 Walnut, Strata, City Club (?), Hotel Bravo (?)...

Yeah, I would have preferred there, but the nature of this site and city subsidies make it far cheaper.

We need new office space downtown. If this shows that spec can work downtown, it might finally encourage more development.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

Has anyone seen the renderings for this?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Also, does anyone know the details of this site? I swear I used to know but time has killed my memory.

I would normally call this copaken vapor, but I believe HR block loses rights to build here eventually, so there might be a strong incentive to get this done.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

LCDSI wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:57 pm Has anyone seen the renderings for this?
A few people on here have seen the renderings confidentially.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

normalthings wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:04 pm
LCDSI wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:57 pm Has anyone seen the renderings for this?
A few people on here have seen the renderings confidentially.
And? Is it something to be excited about, or another One Light, Two Light looking building?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Give us a courthouse sketch Normalthings. :lol:

If the Port Authority has agreed to finance the parking garage, and operate it, I would say this is not a vaporware project.