OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: H&R Block's Second Tower?

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:08 pm
mgh7676 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:04 pm Recently saw a promo video for a possible tower on this site (directly west of H&R block tower). Won't be a new tallest or anything, but would certainly be a nice/unique addition to our skyline. I don't know any additional details or likelihood of the project happening, hoping the video is released sometime soon!

Also, to shoot down any rumors, the proposed tower was NOT in the "Light" series! :)
Where did you see the video? H&R Block's offices?
If it’s what was heard earlier this year, this video is showing a new Cordish involved hotel on the site of HR Block Tower 2. The old timeline from early this year had been to announce and potentially even break ground this year. That changed when the city balked at 3 Light incentives.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:21 pm
mgh7676 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:04 pm Recently saw a promo video for a possible tower on this site (directly west of H&R block tower). Won't be a new tallest or anything, but would certainly be a nice/unique addition to our skyline. I don't know any additional details or likelihood of the project happening, hoping the video is released sometime soon!

Also, to shoot down any rumors, the proposed tower was NOT in the "Light" series! :)
If it’s what was heard earlier this year, this video is showing a new Cordish involved hotel on the site of HR Block Tower 2. The old timeline from early this year had been to announce and potentially even break ground this year. That changed when the city balked at 3 Light incentives.
If it was earlier this year, then Cordish should've announced anyway. I wonder if it would be a Live! Hotel. Not one like in St. Louis that is By Loews but Cordish's own upscale version. There really shouldn't be a need for incentives for this but I don't know what goes on in Cordish's mind.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Must have been a different video, a hotel is not a part of this plan. I can't say any additional details, but watch for more information in the near future!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:24 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:21 pm

If it was earlier this year, then Cordish should've announced anyway. I wonder if it would be a Live! Hotel. Not one like in St. Louis that is By Loews but Cordish's own upscale version. There really shouldn't be a need for incentives for this but I don't know what goes on in Cordish's mind.
IIRC, it was said that the issue with the city pushed that project on to the back burner.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

mgh7676 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:34 pm Must have been a different video, a hotel is not a part of this plan. I can't say any additional details, but watch for more information in the near future!
Very likely. The 3 Light incentives issues with the city likely killed the hotel plan. They probably wanted a number of incentives for any hotel project.
Last edited by normalthings on Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:44 pm
mgh7676 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:34 pm Must have been a different video, a hotel is not a part of this plan. I can't say any additional details, but watch for more information in the near future!
Very likely. The 3 Light issues with the city likely killed the hotel plan.
If there is money to be made it would happen... they aren't backing out because of hurt feelings.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

This is the spec office tower that has been discussed forever. Not a "light", as indicated earlier.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wouldn't think any project--office or hotel--on this site would need incentives because the parking garage underneath it is already built, and old infrastructure issues were taken care of when the site was prepared for the retail building. Those are normally the two main issues for which developers seek financial help. The other being demolishing buildings, which was already done years ago.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Parking garage is not built. It is prepped for a parking podium
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I'll correct my statement and say <200 parking spaces are built in the existing garage and they all belong to the Hotel President. The footprint is ready for like another 700 spaces on top of the existing garage.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

OK, I didn't know the parking garage was not built large enough for a future tower.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Made to accomodate future construction
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

https://youtu.be/dkh2Qbqmy04
But will it be more unique than this vaporware? /s
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:09 pm https://youtu.be/dkh2Qbqmy04
I expect a box on this site. The 13th and Grand tower should happen but I doubt it will. We will most likely see a stubby proposal on that lot. I don't expect either tower (13th and Grand or H&R2) to crack 10 floors.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:25 pm
I expect a box on this site. The 13th and Grand tower should happen but I doubt it will. We will most likely see a stubby proposal on that lot. I don't expect either tower (13th and Grand or H&R2) to crack 10 floors.
You must be fun at parties /s
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

normalthings wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:47 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:25 pm
You must be fun at parties /s
I just seem pessimistic because I love seeing big beautiful towers go up but if Cordish has anything to do with this, I'm not getting my hopes up. Plus, Copaken Brooks has great ideas but them executing them seem pretty hard which is why 13th and Grand seems odd. Either way, I know you're having fun with the tower and speculation because I'm excited but just cautiously optimistic. You have to think, there are several office projects proposed in Downtown KC, although small, that could effect the size of new office projects. H&R2 and 13th and Grand probably are going based off of how well the market is in KC. I don't know the vacancy rate in Downtown but I don't think its very high if you have Corrigan Station 2 going up and the proposal at 13th and Wyandotte. On top of that now you have 13th and Grand and the potential H&R2. Its a great time for Downtown KC but I'm just being cautious overall.

I'm not trying to be a ass but it's the way I am. We can be excited and brag all about a new tower or building but we must be cautious with celebrating because there is always a chance of the "R" word coming into play. In the end, I hope 13th and Grand is built and I hope H&R2 has a beautiful design and rivals the height of One Light or the current H&R Tower. Now, I've wandered to far off the topic so let me get back on track. This site is really prepped for a new tower, as specified somewhere on this forum, because just looking at google Earth, you can see the supports on the roof for a future tower and the outline for a core. As specified in this thread, the lobby is there but just bare. The possibilities are endless and I hope the architects and developer can think of something nice to go in here.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The garage at 11th and Main has been prepped for a tower for decades and nothing has materialized. Till there is a tower crane up, I tend to expect nothing will happen. This is not just in KC, but in just about every mid sized city, but especially KC. With Cerner building 4 million sq ft and the Sprint Campus about to go full blown multi tenant dumping millions of sq ft into the market, I just don't see downtown KC getting more than a few hundred thousand st ft of new office every 3-7 years. No way would anybody put up a large 500k plus spec tower in KC. Now if there is another H&R Block type company moving downtown, something might happen.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

GRID wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:32 am The garage at 11th and Main has been prepped for a tower for decades and nothing has materialized. Till there is a tower crane up, I tend to expect nothing will happen. This is not just in KC, but in just about every mid sized city, but especially KC. With Cerner building 4 million sq ft and the Sprint Campus about to go full blown multi tenant dumping millions of sq ft into the market, I just don't see downtown KC getting more than a few hundred thousand st ft of new office every 3-7 years. No way would anybody put up a large 500k plus spec tower in KC. Now if there is another H&R Block type company moving downtown, something might happen.
Agree 100%.
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

hartliss wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:23 am
GRID wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:32 am The garage at 11th and Main has been prepped for a tower for decades and nothing has materialized. Till there is a tower crane up, I tend to expect nothing will happen. This is not just in KC, but in just about every mid sized city, but especially KC. With Cerner building 4 million sq ft and the Sprint Campus about to go full blown multi tenant dumping millions of sq ft into the market, I just don't see downtown KC getting more than a few hundred thousand st ft of new office every 3-7 years. No way would anybody put up a large 500k plus spec tower in KC. Now if there is another H&R Block type company moving downtown, something might happen.
Agree 100%.
Sadly I also agree. Wish we had a foreign investor with DEEEEEEP pockets who would take an interest in our city! Maybe open a overseas office here, jobs downtown, 65 story spec tower on lot north of Sprint, Hotel, appts, few condos, retail. gregydf g5o4gj5 -Sorry I fell asleep, but it was a GREAT dream!!!
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Any updates on this?