Fixing p&l traffic backups

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Fixing p&l traffic backups

Post by WoodDraw »

StrangerThings wrote:
swid wrote:Are short-term street closures in P&L being pushed to map data providers? If not, that would be very good first step.
They happen so often, I'm not sure. The district did just partner with Uber which is nice because they'll be directed to specific drop off/pick up points.
This is good to hear. Google, et al aren't big on changing directions just for fun. But the ride sharing companies will do designated pick up and drop off locations if you ask and have enough traffic.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

StrangerThings wrote:Do we think there would be heavy pushback from people coming downtown for events who are not regular downtown folks by closing main? People from the suburbs already think downtown is “inconvenient” and that parking is a nightmare. We all know that’s not true, they don’t.
those people should be directed to better parking spaces and use the streetcar to get to their final destination. we literally made the streets smaller when we build P&L, so let's stop pretending that all of christendom can squeeze through in their SUVs for a sprint center event at the same time.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:Also to help main traffic...quit shutting down all the other roads around p&l ....grand, walnut, 14th, truman
someone wants to vacate walnut at truman! can you believe it?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

StrangerThings wrote:The district never shuts down Truman, unless it's construction related. The other closures are always going to happen because pedestrian safety is priority number 1. Not to mention, several events/festivals are held on the streets. Urbana, Family Fun Days, Beer Fest, Pig and Swig and the list goes on. If there's a concert happening inside of kc live, the only street they close is 14th and that's because of the bands loading their equipment in and out. Once again, it's a safety concern.

Cordish closes Grand 2-4 times a year max. AEG shuts it down anytime they have an event, beats someone getting hit by a car.
This thread is to brainstorm ideas.... Letting streets open would improve main traffic.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Observing tonight, the main problem is the one kc place garage.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

StrangerThings wrote:The district never shuts down Truman, unless it's construction related.
between sprint center loading and constant construction, westbound truman has become pretty useless. the temporary is permanent.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:Observing tonight, the main problem is the one kc place garage.
which has a redundant entrance on baltimore! easy fix!
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

I live in a big city with plenty of construction in tight spaces and it almost never disrupts the streets or the sidewalks. It's not a good problem to have.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

kas1 wrote:I live in a big city with plenty of construction in tight spaces and it almost never disrupts the streets or the sidewalks. It's not a good problem to have.
Have any examples of this no-disruption construction?

Outside of the much needed temporary sidewalk ordinance that was passed, there's not much more that can be done to mitigate construction staging.
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

horizons82 wrote:Have any examples of this no-disruption construction?
Here's archived Street View imagery of a 15 story building under construction on a corner: https://www.google.com.ar/maps/@-34.583 ... 6656?hl=en
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

StrangerThings wrote:If you can come up with a better option to place a crane capable of building a 25-30 floor high rise, do tell so we can all get rich.
You don't need to block the sidewalks and a driving lane of two different streets in order to install a single crane.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Observing tonight, the main problem is the one kc place garage.
which has a redundant entrance on baltimore! easy fix!
I haven't witnessed this problem alot as I'm not usually in that area at those times....but this seems like it would be a well known problem that has been going on for years with an easy solution you just stated....who is the hold up to resolving it?
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

kas1 wrote:
StrangerThings wrote:If you can come up with a better option to place a crane capable of building a 25-30 floor high rise, do tell so we can all get rich.
You don't need to block the sidewalks and a driving lane of two different streets in order to install a single crane.
And for that matter, cranes can be installed within the footprint of a building itself: https://www.google.com.ar/maps/@40.7532 ... 6656?hl=en
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

kas1 wrote: Here's archived Street View imagery of a 15 story building under construction on a corner: https://www.google.com.ar/maps/@-34.583 ... 6656?hl=en
Buenos Aires is not remotely comparable to the US in terms of building code and OSHA requirements. Show me a project in Nashville, Chicago, etc, and I'm all ears. Otherwise you're talking about an overhaul of state and federal safety regs, good luck with that...
kas1 wrote: And for that matter, cranes can be installed within the footprint of a building itself: https://www.google.com.ar/maps/@40.7532 ... 6656?hl=en
Now this is more possible, but as you can see they're still taking over sidewalk and street space.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

horizons82 wrote:
kas1 wrote: Here's archived Street View imagery of a 15 story building under construction on a corner: https://www.google.com.ar/maps/@-34.583 ... 6656?hl=en
Buenos Aires is not remotely comparable to the US in terms of building code and OSHA requirements. Show me a project in Nashville, Chicago, etc, and I'm all ears. Otherwise you're talking about an overhaul of state and federal safety regs, good luck with that...
kas1 wrote: And for that matter, cranes can be installed within the footprint of a building itself: https://www.google.com.ar/maps/@40.7532 ... 6656?hl=en
Now this is more possible, but as you can see they're still taking over sidewalk and street space.
I'm guessing there are 20 buildings "3 light" size right now being built in New York and I'd wager none of them block sidewalks or lanes of traffic.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

StrangerThings wrote: Something worth having is rarely convenient.
LOL, oh goodness....Cordish's decisions aren't above reproach. They don't need lanes of traffic to build a 15 story building.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Demanding better out of our quality of life...yes even during construction...isn't comical. It should be our standard that every construction project respects the already existing environment. If a company doesn't respect that lets get someone in here that does.

I just got back from New York and walked through numerous construction site of buildings 3 times the size of two light...and didnt have to cross the street due to closed sidewalks...it's not hard.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I agree the event traffic is the main cause...but all of this feeds into the problem. People coming down for events having less options of getting to their destination pushes them onto main.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

In this discussion might be helpful to try disconnecting the cause of the closure with whom is doing it. The who isn't important.

Closing sidewalks might not be a big deal to you and me as far as effort to avoid it but sidewalks aren't just for able bodied people...and nobody in this city can do a sidewalk closure appropriately (signage, protections, ramps) without citizens pestering the city codes enforcement to go back and fix the problems.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

And yes this is a great.problem to have....amazing to even be discussing when I think back to when I moved down here over a decade ago.