Keitz and Barnes

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Keitz and Barnes

Post by GRID »

I admire KK's passion for a downtown stadium, but that is as far as I would take it.  He is clueless about KCMO, Jackson County, the Northland and anything else that is not in Lenexa or OP just like everybody else in radio (and most tv) media in this town.

He bought a condo in western auto and are trying to sell it at a vast profit.  That's wonderfull. 

Try a bit harder next time KK, you have plenty of time to think about it when you drive from K7 & 83rd to 135th & Metcalf everyday.

The dude in so out of touch with KCMO it's not even funny, just like every other media outlet in the metro.

As far as Barnes, the leadership in KC is HORRID, absolutely HORRID.  Barnes is one of the better ones though, but I'm quickly loosing faith in her.  Her passion for getting sprint built was shortlived and isolated to that project.

She could have done SOOOO much more, she had so many more opportunities to really apply that same passion and momentum she was building and failed miserably.

We are getting a new arena though.
Last edited by GRID on Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I agree, he's probably out of touch with downtown, but I think he does more to help downtown by arguing for a downtown stadium, than an 810 Zone ever could help downtown.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

skim82 wrote:
When has Keitz ever ragged on DT?

several times. whenever anyone questions him on air about how come he did not put his beloved restaurant in dt kcmo, he always says dt is dead, noone is there, noone is there at night, it is a ghost town at night, typical "i NEVER go there ever" shit, because, anyone who hangs out in dt kcmo at night, would know that is a crock of shit.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: because (as chef stated) he rags on downtown too and when he had a chance to do something positive and invest his money or restaurant or company downtown, he balked and fled south. 
For the fiftieth time (for Chef as much as you) - He is a minority owner in Union Broadcasting.  All of this "his business" and "his restaurant" crap that Chef has been throwing around is BS.  None of it is "his" beyond a minority interest.  You can't lay the blame on him for the fact that the corporation chose to locate in JoCo.  For all we know, he could have argued till he was blue in the face for locating downtown. All we do know is that he and Petro are about the only two media personalities in town that have been championing downtown and talking about what a great place it can be.  Would you rather listen to the typical KC media idiots with their debbie downer "downtown will never be shit" attitude?
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

My impression is that Kevin Keitzman has a genuine love for Kansas City.  You can look at the fact that he has invested his own money in downtown real estate.  More importantly, however, you can look at the role he played in getting the downtown arena built.  Without 810 and Keitzman, both Johnson County entities, drumming up support for the stadium, we may not be on this board debating whether an NHL or NBA team should be the anchor tenant.  

As far as the 810 Zone goes, I think any criticism is grossly misguided.  As of one year ago, when the 810 Zone was built, downtown was in fact "dead."  I'm not sure there is much debate here.  You may be a patron of a local bar in the downtown, but the vast majority of Kansas Citians put their money into Westport, River Market, Plaza, and yes, Town Center.  

Any criticisim of Kevin Keitzman, as an investor, could easily be given to any other restuarant or bar owner in the metro area.  

Why are the P&L district and the arena collectively referred to as "downtown revitaliztion?"  Because it was "dead" and it needs to be revitalized.  
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

KC-wildcat wrote: My impression is that Kevin Keitzman has a genuine love for Kansas City.  You can look at the fact that he has invested his own money in downtown real estate.  More importantly, however, you can look at the role he played in getting the downtown arena built.  Without 810 and Keitzman, both Johnson County entities, drumming up support for the stadium, we may not be on this board debating whether an NHL or NBA team should be the anchor tenant. 

As far as the 810 Zone goes, I think any criticism is grossly misguided.  As of one year ago, when the 810 Zone was built, downtown was in fact "dead."  I'm not sure there is much debate here.  You may be a patron of a local bar in the downtown, but the vast majority of Kansas Citians put their money into Westport, River Market, Plaza, and yes, Town Center. 

Any criticisim of Kevin Keitzman, as an investor, could easily be given to any other restuarant or bar owner in the metro area. 

Why are the P&L district and the arena collectively referred to as "downtown revitaliztion?"  Because it was "dead" and it needs to be revitalized. 
Echoing my thoughts completely.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Kard wrote: Echoing my thoughts completely.
Yeah...pretty well said.

I think KK's a stereotypical "boring white guy", but he's pretty pro-KC. A LOT of the stuff he was saying in his rant the other day is the same stuff 90% of the people here go on & on about.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: For the fiftieth time (for Chef as much as you) - He is a minority owner in Union Broadcasting.  All of this "his business" and "his restaurant" crap that Chef has been throwing around is BS. 
horseshit. minority or majority owner is not relevant. the biggest sports microphone in kansas city, is relevant. this man mobilizes over 10,000 for things he pimps on air, share the wealth, share the wealth II, the petition drive for a dt stadium, the man mobilizes people, and his listeners believe in a lot of what he peddles.

he could have stepped up to the plate and said that dt was the place for a kc sports themed bar he would be behind, but he refused to step up and be bold.
KC-wildcat wrote:

As far as the 810 Zone goes, I think any criticism is grossly misguided.  As of one year ago, when the 810 Zone was built, downtown was in fact "dead."  
no, it was not. 12 years ago when i lived there f/t it was not "dead", go to any part of quality hill any night of the week, between 8th and 12th on broadway, go to the crossroads area any night, between 17th and 20th, go to the freighthouse district, go to the river market, any time i come to town, which, btw, has been twice in the past month, these areas were hopping. when i come in in february, there is plenty of foot traffic going on. this mantra of dt is dead and the p&l will change that, or a dt stadium would have, is a crock. dt is far from dead. certain areas, sure, they are. as a whole? no fing way!!
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

While Keitz is full of BS a lot of the time, I guess I don't know what more you want from him.  He has used his microphone to pimp downtown, and he is vilified here for it.  We don't know everything behind 810 Zone, but you surely cannot expect Keitz to get into an on air dispute with the other owners of Union over the location of a restaurant.

Keitz pushed hard for the arena, pushed hard for a DT ballpark......that is better than almost anyone else in the KC media has done.  It would be great if he lived and worked downtown, but look at how few of us actually live and work downtown.  The man is a mere mortal.  Sometimes people make decisions for personal reasons, not to benefit the community as a whole.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

^^^  He should start pimping JoCo as the place to be and should have been promoting the renovations at the TSC, apparently.

Look, I know 810 zone could have opened Downtown but it wasn't completly his decision--anyone can see that.  He's a talk show host, not a restaurant developer.  810 has done events Downtown before (not exactly a sports mecca) like the car show.  Besides, let them stick to radio.  Big deal.

Besides, maybe there will be an 810 downtown--no one knows yet.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

So you're criticizing Kietzman for not moving to downtown KC with his business because financially it wasn't the ideal situation?

You want to explain one more time why you're not in Kansas City anymore?

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

His comments and positions come off fake to me.  I don't believe he's sincere in 90% of his comments (based on hearing comments on both sides of an issue) and people like that scare me.

It's very easy to "rag" on KCMO leadership from 30 miles away from the city limits.  I hope he makes tons on his condo.  Thanks for the help on the arena.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Kard wrote: ^^^  He should start pimping JoCo as the place to be and should have been promoting the renovations at the TSC, apparently.
What's that old saying?  Actions speak louder than words?
Look, I know 810 zone could have opened Downtown but it wasn't completly his decision--anyone can see that.  He's a talk show host, not a restaurant developer.  810 has done events Downtown before (not exactly a sports mecca) like the car show.  Besides, let them stick to radio.  Big deal.
Honestly I don't want the 810zone downtown.  It's horrible (in my opinion).  He is just a talk show host.....maybe his comments should stick to that...not pontification as to why "his" business (his words) located where they did, why such and such leadership sucks, etc. 

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: So you're criticizing Kietzman for not moving to downtown KC with his business because financially it wasn't the ideal situation?

why not? the quaff, tanners, the peanut, the savoy, the hyatt, bar natasha, zin, 12baltimore, all those dt places do a GREAT business, why would his not?
KCMax wrote:

You want to explain one more time why you're not in Kansas City anymore?
sure. my career benefited from the move. what does my address have to do with kietz pussing out?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Its okay for you to foresake KC for the benefit of your career, but Kietz can't do the same?

Look, I don't blame either of you. I don't expect every single person to be willing to put thousands of dollars on the line for the sake of downtown. I wish they would, but I don't expect it. But I'm not going to bash him for not doing so. The fact is, his over the air support for things downtown - the Union Station sports exhibit, the car show at Bartle Hall, promoting the Brigade at Kemper, UMKC games at the Muni, his pushing for downtown baseball, pushing for the Sprint Center all have much more impact than yet another restaurant downtown would ever have in my opinion.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Kard wrote: Look, I know 810 zone could have opened Downtown but it wasn't completly his decision--anyone can see that. 
apparently not not "anyone"
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: apparently not not "anyone"
But what about noone? :)
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

kcdcchef wrote: no, it was not. 12 years ago when i lived there f/t it was not "dead", go to any part of quality hill any night of the week, between 8th and 12th on broadway, go to the crossroads area any night, between 17th and 20th, go to the freighthouse district, go to the river market, any time i come to town, which, btw, has been twice in the past month, these areas were hopping. when i come in in february, there is plenty of foot traffic going on. this mantra of dt is dead and the p&l will change that, or a dt stadium would have, is a crock. dt is far from dead. certain areas, sure, they are. as a whole? no fing way!!
Point 1:
Chef, as opposed to you, who may have lived here twelve years ago, I have lived here my entire life.  By no means am I attempting to diminish downtown when I say that it has been "dead."  Like you, I think that it has enormous potential.  I think that we are all witnessing that potential take form.  Unlike you, however, I do not think that an investor should be lambasted because he did not think that, as of one year ago, downtown KC was the most economically lucrative place in the market to open his business.

Point 2:
What is your definition of "downtown?"  If you consider the Rivermarket, Crossroads, Freighthouse and Crown Center all downtown, than why don't you also consider the Plaza and Westport to be downtown?  When I think of downtown revitalization, I am talking about the central business core. 
In terms of the CAB, until the P&L district comes to fruition, there is nothing "downtown" that leads me to believe that it is in any way vibrant.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote: he could have stepped up to the plate and said that dt was the place for a kc sports themed bar he would be behind, but he refused to step up and be bold.
Were you at the Union Broadcasting shareholder and board meetings when they decided where to locate their businesses?  Are you privy to some sort of inside corporate info?  Or are you just making guesses to support your own irrationally biased view? 
kcdcchef wrote: no, it was not. 12 years ago when i lived there f/t it was not "dead", go to any part of quality hill any night of the week, between 8th and 12th on broadway, go to the crossroads area any night, between 17th and 20th, go to the freighthouse district, go to the river market, any time i come to town, which, btw, has been twice in the past month, these areas were hopping. when i come in in february, there is plenty of foot traffic going on. this mantra of dt is dead and the p&l will change that, or a dt stadium would have, is a crock. dt is far from dead. certain areas, sure, they are. as a whole? no fing way!!
Really???  because I live downtown and walk through the neighborhoods and I am sad to say that it is disappointingly "dead" more often than not.  The nights where there is vibrant street activity are vastly outnumbered by those where there is little to none.  There are still huge swaths of downtown where you can walk many blocks at night without encountering another pedestrian or any signs of life for that matter.  And many businesses still struggle mightily to get traffic after 5:00.   Are there plenty of promissing signs for success in the future? - you bet.  But am I going to blast someone for complaining that it is still too "dead" down there?  Not if the person complaining is someone who honestly hopes to see it change.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Lenexa...you just described the majority of downtown's in America.  Wide swaths are not used after 5.......I have pictures of my friends and I walking back through the almighty "denver downtown" from LoDo to our hotel and nobody within eyeshot. 

Do people really think we're going to get to a point of every block feeling like Time Square?  I think goals should be re-evaluated a bit.

Personally, I wouldn't call it close to dead....and that's after living here quite a while and visiting other downtown areas.  I'd say right now, I'd grade it a C-....far from dead.

BUUUUT....that's not what this thread is about...sorry for misguiding.