Keitz and Barnes

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Keitz and Barnes

Post by Tosspot »

Yes, it's true, most American cities completely suck. That's why I like to travel outside the US whenever I get the opportunity.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Personally, I wouldn't call it close to dead....and that's after living here quite a while and visiting other downtown areas.  I'd say right now, I'd grade it a C-....far from dead.
Fair enough - but does a C- mean that a person who cares about downtown can't complain and demand better?  

The only time I am going to get offended about someone complaining about downtown being too dead is if that person is some suburbanite who hasn't been downtown after dark in years and has no idea what is going on DT.  
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

my question is does Keitzman really CARE about downtown?  I seriously don't think so.  To me, his motive is for personal gain of having a "cool" downtown to show off....not that he would ever use it but he doesn't want to lose arguments with his friends who live in regional cities.

Again, this is just the impression I get......he doesn't seem sincere.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I don't care if his intent is sincere or not, the fact is, he's doing it, and I think its helping.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

in some cases it does help...in others where he bashes downtown to validate why his real monetary interest don't locate there, I don't think it helps much.  That's why I can't put much faith in anything he stands for....he'll switch it up whenever necessary.

Going back to the original point...does him bashing Barnes for not pushing for a downtown stadium (that the owner of the team didn't want) really mean much when 1 year ago he was praising Barnes for her leadership and foresight for the new arena?  I mean seriously....most people see through that.  The guy appears very phony, which is fine, he's a talk show host....so let's not put him in the class of people truly helping downtown.  Save that for people really making a difference.

kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I think your problem with him is that he's phony.  Is that it?  I do still agree that he is most of the time.

But, his point has never changed.  "Put these things Downtown."  Right?

And yeah, Barnes has made a difference.  The Barnes Arena is going to be awesome.  But she has kind of puttered out here after getting that through (admittingly, it IS hard to top that, but still...).  It would have been awesome to see her rise to the occasion and say to the County, "Hey!  We want that Downtown!"  I see it as a lost opportunity that lingers on her as much as the achievement of the Arena does.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yes, a big part is he's a phony.

His point of "hey, YOU put things downtown" might not have changed...I'm not sure.  Again, actions speak louder than words.

Barnes arena?  Seriously.....that is kind of a cynical take on the arena asserting that it is her "pet project" but then complaining she didn't push for a downtown stadium?  Would you have then called a new downtown baseball stadium Barnes Park?

Puttered out?  She has led a $3Billion redevelopment downtown.  Kind of hard to keep that momentum going, don't you think?  She got the arena, downtown housing, H&R Block, & Cordish all together to start the process....I find it hard to say it's puttered out...but that's just me.

I would have loved a downtown park....but there is only so much people can do if the owner of the team doesn't want to move....I understand there are some financial pressures that can be put on the team but if the team doesn't want to move, they aren't moving.

kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I kid when I call it Barnes Arena or "Barnes anything".  This town names anything after any living mayor...Wheeler, Berkley, Cleaver...I'm hedging my bets for what Barnes will get.  It's kind of silly.  But that's besides the point.

And yeah, she did roll over on the stadiums issue.  Not a peep.  It is hard to keep that momentum going and I said that.  But when presented with a once-in-a-generation opportunity like that when you're a mayor who's number one issue is Downtown and you don't do anything?  It didn't make sense to me.  I'm very pleased with what is happening with the arena but am still disappointed when I think of what might have been.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

and again I'll say, it's pretty hard to get a team to go somewhere they don't want to go.  Personally I would have loved a downtown park, but if Glass isn't going to put up a good sum of the cash (over $25M) then we don't need to be putting up $300-400M for a new park.  Why would she speak up if the team isn't willing?

Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

It pisses me off that somebody apparently made Cauthen keep his mouth shut...

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 643827.htm
Kevin Collison: Speaking of baseball, what about the recent stadium vote that eliminated the possibility of a downtown ballpark?

Wayne Cauthen: “The stadium vote was a disappointment for me. In the long run, we’ll view it as probably not the right decision. … I think the campaign was very shrewd by saying if we don’t do this, we’ll lose the teams. …. Downtown baseball would have added to everything here.â€
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCPowercat wrote: in some cases it does help...in others where he bashes downtown to validate why his real monetary interest don't locate there, I don't think it helps much.  
my point entirely. hell, i love kietz's show, i listen to between the lines all of the time, it is a great show, he truly has a great passion for kc sports.

back to the reality of it, he spends a helluva lot of time saying how everyone should invest their tax dollars in dt kcmo, and as an owner of union broadcasting AND the 810zone, two seperate entities, he had TWO chances to invest in dt, like the kempers, blochs, halls, helzbergs, kauffman foundation, dst, ron jury, etc, have over the past 20 years, even during a bad time for dt, and he ran like a bitch.

this whole attitude of dt is dead is sad. even during dt's darkest hours, the 90's, any night of the week you could be right in the cbd, and hitters, ashleys, city seen, those places would be jamming, and in the last 10 years, ANY part of quality hill has action going on, the attitude of it is dead at night in dt because there is not foot traffic, is retarded. there is a lot of people there, they are just already somewhere doing something, just not out milling around. newsflash~~there is not a lot of pm foot traffic in a lot of cities. hell, i lived in new york for years, there are lots of parts of tribecca, upper east side, the village, where, you can be outside at 8pm and not see a soul for a few blocks, get over it. a month ago in boston right on yawkey way, when the sawks were playing no less, there was noone on foot near the commons or the public gardens, two places that are usually jammed.

to assert, that a city is dead because there are not thousands out roaming around, is fucken dumb, and bad on his part on the air to say. he has no problem, whatsoever, pimping falcon ridge, falcon lakes, and all the other golf courses that give him free golf!!
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

You mention Keitz in the same sentence as the Kempers, Blochs, Helzbergs, Kauffman Foundation...  That's not even on the same level.  810 is a small company.  They cross-branded with a restaurant, their first non-radio venture as far as I know.  I don't think Keitz has nearly as much financial power as you're implying.

810 has said they lost a lot of ad revenue during the stadium debate for promoting Downtown.  So in a way, they did put some money where their mouths were.

I don't get it.  I don't think I ever will.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote: back to the reality of it, he spends a helluva lot of time saying how everyone should invest their tax dollars in dt kcmo, and as an owner of union broadcasting AND the 810zone, two seperate entities, he had TWO chances to invest in dt, like the kempers, blochs, halls, helzbergs, kauffman foundation, dst, ron jury, etc, have over the past 20 years, even during a bad time for dt, and he ran like a bitch.
Apparently the concepts of a "corporation" and a "minority shareholder" are lost on you.  
kcdcchef wrote: this whole attitude of dt is dead is sad. even during dt's darkest hours, the 90's, any night of the week you could be right in the cbd, and hitters, ashleys, city seen, those places would be jamming, and in the last 10 years, ANY part of quality hill has action going on, the attitude of it is dead at night in dt because there is not foot traffic, is retarded. there is a lot of people there, they are just already somewhere doing something, just not out milling around. newsflash~~there is not a lot of pm foot traffic in a lot of cities. hell, i lived in new york for years, there are lots of parts of tribecca, upper east side, the village, where, you can be outside at 8pm and not see a soul for a few blocks, get over it. a month ago in boston right on yawkey way, when the sawks were playing no less, there was noone on foot near the commons or the public gardens, two places that are usually jammed.
Of course every city has down times and dead spots in the evening.  However, in Kansas City, the areas where there is any degree of consistent afterdark activity are extremely limited.  One or two blocks around the Quaff and Tanners does not make for a vibrant downtown.  
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Apparently the concepts of a "corporation" and a "minority shareholder" are lost on you.  

not lost whatsoever rich. the fact is, if you think that bmac and hurricane monty invested that much more then kietz did in both ventures, YOU ARE CRAZY. and further, he had a much bigger stake in the 810 zone.

back to the realizy of it, the point you are missing, who is the bigger investor is lost on you, because, who is the most powerful man in kc sports media? kevin kietzman. and he goes on the air and with one breath says invest in a dt stadium, and in the other, says he did not invest in dt property because it is dead as hell. good pr for dt kietz.

Kard wrote: You mention Keitz in the same sentence as the Kempers, Blochs, Helzbergs, Kauffman Foundation...  That's not even on the same level.  810 is a small company.  They cross-branded with a restaurant, their first non-radio venture as far as I know.  I don't think Keitz has nearly as much financial power as you're implying.
no, kevin kietzman can not write a check as big as julia irene kauffman, or don hall, but give me a f'ing break here, the man has more power in the media then any of them. he broadcasts one of the highest rated radio shows in kc, and kc history for that matter, he mobilizes masses. and i was saying, with regards to the aforementioned dt supporters, it is not about how much money they have or invested in dt kcmo, it is the fact that you never hear any of them bitching about how dead kcmo is. during the pac iniative, have you ever heard julia irene kauffman piss on dt? nope. and she was pushing for something big in dt. same with the halls, pushing for the union station iniative, you ever hear them bashing dt or kcmo during that??

point is, why talk about why taxpayers should support dt while you are talking shit on it?
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

You're right chef, KK should have used his microphone to rally the common man and solicit the capital to buid and 810 Zone downtown.  What the hell was he thinking?

You seem to know quite a bit of the personal financial details about people....first David Glass, now Keitzman.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

kcdcchef wrote: ...
no, kevin kietzman can not write a check as big as julia irene kauffman, or don hall, but give me a f'ing break here, the man has more power in the media then any of them. he broadcasts one of the highest rated radio shows in kc, and kc history for that matter, he mobilizes masses. and i was saying, with regards to the aforementioned dt supporters, it is not about how much money they have or invested in dt kcmo, it is the fact that you never hear any of them bitching about how dead kcmo is. during the pac iniative, have you ever heard julia irene kauffman piss on dt? nope. and she was pushing for something big in dt. same with the halls, pushing for the union station iniative, you ever hear them bashing dt or kcmo during that??

point is, why talk about why taxpayers should support dt while you are talking shit on it?
And I say give him a break.  He's got this large media power and is using it to boost Downtown.  That's what I don't get.  He's reaching thousands of people and getting them interested in Downtown but that's not good enough.  I'm sure current businesses in DT are happy for the free press, with or with out an 810-something run by someone else there.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Kard wrote: And I say give him a break.  He's got this large media power and is using it to boost Downtown.  That's what I don't get.  He's reaching thousands of people and getting them interested in Downtown but that's not good enough.  I'm sure current businesses in DT are happy for the free press, with or with out an 810-something run by someone else there.
Me too, give the guy a break... everyone is always trying to bust his balls, and quite frankly it's getting old.  He cares about KC, grew up in Mission, and has lived here his entire life. 

BTW, I don't think he actually owns all of 810WHB or even the 810Zone... i believe he is just a partner.

All I gotta say is that 810 with Soren, Keitz, and Armstrong have the best mid afternoon-late night lineup... It blow 610 away.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

skim82 wrote: BTW, I don't think he actually owns all of 810WHB or even the 810Zone... i believe he is just a partner.
like Lenexa keeps saying, he's a minority shareholder. I own a few shares of Brinks but that doesn't mean I can control where they place their headquarters.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Tosspot wrote: like Lenexa keeps saying, he's a minority shareholder. I own a few shares of Brinks but that doesn't mean I can control where they place their headquarters.
Apparently he has abandoned that argument and has switched to the tack of arguing that downtown boosters can't complain about the lack of activity downtown. 
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Apparently he has abandoned that argument and has switched to the tack of arguing that downtown boosters can't complain about the lack of activity downtown. 
Chef still hasn't responded to the Pot Calling The Kettle Black argument.  It's ok for Chef to leave town to further his career and still say Downtown is great, but not for KK to invest in a venture in the burbs while promoting DT.

Wonder why he hasn't responded.  I'm sure it's a completly different scenario.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator