How about this?

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
KCDevin

How about this?

Post by KCDevin »

Why don't we all shut our mouths about the renovations and talk about how to improve the Royals so we can make the renovations work for the next 25 years?

Step 1: Get rid of Glass and his Son, Convince them to sell the Royals
Step 2: Get rid of Baird and hire a new GM
Step 3: Add in decent staff that won't treat our minor league players like their in the minor leagues
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: How about this?

Post by Maitre D »

KCDevin wrote: Why don't we all shut our mouths about the renovations and talk about how to improve the Royals so we can make the renovations work for the next 25 years?
The renovations won't "work".  They're so poorly planned, and they will generate very little incremental cash flow.  Re-doing the Stadium Club and putting in 15 great suites would be an idea that would.  The Crown Club project from 10 years ago was another great idea.

But adding seats in the outfield, increasing ticket offices (nobody goes anyway!), putting in more t-shirt shops,  and putting in Slugger's "Lair", is so dumb it's amazing.
Step 1: Get rid of Glass and his Son, Convince them to sell the Royals
Why would they sell now?  They just saw the value of their investment skyrocket thanks to the stupid JackO voters. 
Step 2: Get rid of Baird and hire a new GM
Makes no diff.  MLB is an unfair system to begin with, and the Glass-Holes are horrid owners.  Baird is way down the list of reasons we're a laughingstock.
Step 3: Add in decent staff that won't treat our minor league players like their in the minor leagues
I can't make heads or tails of this.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

Just think, the citizens of Jackson County could have negotiated a deal to buy the team *instead* of refurbishing the stadium, and ABSOLUTELY guaranteed the Royals would never leave...and it would have cost less money.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

.....Or MLB could have chosen  G. Brett and partners instead of another lizard like themselves.
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

bbqboy wrote: .....Or MLB could have chosen  G. Brett and partners instead of another lizard like themselves.
And our lizard is a really cheap one. MLB is so screwed up it's not even funny.

Sorry Devin, it's not our call to get rid of David Glass and family. It's their team, not ours. And the days of Ewing Kaufman who had a true love for the Royals and winning baseball are gone. Unless Glass can convince the rest of the owners and the players union to install a cap and spread out the revenues, we won't have a team that will cost more than he can make in a season. Do you think the "lizards" that have all the money to spend give a damn about the Royals? Other than having to pay us a luxury tax, they only think about us when it's time to beat the crap out of us and sweep a series. Then we're great to have around.

I sure as hell wouldn't want Allard Bairds gig.... Don't blame the injuns either... This one is on the Chief.
the only thing for sure is change.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Does Glass just not care at all how much this city is coming to revile him?

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Tosspot wrote: Does Glass just not care at all how much this city is coming to revile him?
Best example of a rhetorical question on this forum's short history.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

The best hope that KC baseball fans could have had would have been to vote down the renovations and hope Glass moved the team.  I guess he still could...it would only cost him $25 million...
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

49r wrote: The best hope that KC baseball fans could have had would have been to vote down the renovations and hope Glass moved the team.  I guess he still could...it would only cost him $25 million...
But where would GRID have taken his kids to see MLB?  Everyone that voted YES to keep the Status Quo should be happy, that's what we've got :lol:
kman
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kman »

Tosspot wrote: Does Glass just not care at all how much this city is coming to revile him?
why does he cares, he lives in Bentonville for crying out loud.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

lock&load wrote: But where would GRID have taken his kids to see MLB? 
I didn't think much of that post he put out there, myself.

LS_Tiger
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Try again....

Post by LS_Tiger »

1) Why would Glass sell now?  Because he just doubled his investment with the tax passage (Forbes est. worth $200k, up from $96k he paid to buy them) and it won't appreciate much anytime in the near future. Its like selling a stock when you know it has climbed too fast and will plateau for years.  The problem is finding a buyer that would pay 200k now, not whether Glass would sell after seeing his investment double in a few short years.

2) Next owner: Instead of signing 1 or 2 washed up free agents, take the extra 6-8 Mil each year and create the best farm system and scouting in MLB (good scouts and minor league coaches can be hired for a fraction of the cost of what they will end up producing - see, e.g., Dye, Damon, Beltran, etc.)  You, small market team, will now live permanently on young talent, and with a better winning record achieved with top flight young talent, and some increase in revenue, can sign a few more of the home-grown superstars at free agency (still can't sign all of them b/c we aren't the Yankees, right?). 

3) The formula in (2) above is what most teams are using in our division.  The Indians grew it from scratch in the 90's, and since have completely torn it down and rebuilt it all again -- all that in just over a decade.  The Royals only need to focus on is winning the division, that's it.  Don't worry about the Yanks --- in any 7 game series, you have a shot. 

3) Look around, small market isn't that big of a problem with the rest of our division.  The White Sox won it all with a 75 Mil payroll, not 150 Mil.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I think you mean that he paid $96m, not $96k. That's like Brigade numbering.
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

I think it's a fairly recent thing. At least for me it is. For a long time I was really pissed that MLB was so screwed up. No salary cap, no revenue sharing, the Yankees with 200 million more to spend that us....  We heard that Glass was leading the charge for change ( I know I heard that somewhere) and I was really hoping that baseball would eventually be more like the NFL where teams are so even that you never know who's going to be in the Super Bowl each year.

But the other little guys in baseball are winning. Can't deny that. And we're not. We're the worst team in baseball. it's really embarrassing.

So now I do blame Glass, it's his team. He has the money to keep the good guys if he wanted, to pick up some "real" free agents if he wanted to. That's how Kauffman did it. He gave Brett and Wilson lifetime contracts back when a million a year was unreal money...

Bottom line for me..... Glass is starting to remind me of the lady owner in "Major League" who did everything she could to screw up the team.

Except in the movie...... they won.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Cyclops wrote: Bottom line for me..... Glass is starting to remind me of the lady owner in "Major League" who did everything she could to screw up the team.

Except in the movie...... they won.
That's how I feel, too.    I have never hated the Royals so much until this year, for some reason.  Maybe it's the embarrassment of being the first team to lose 100 for 3 years in a row, while getting WORSE each year.  Maybe it's because KC doesn't have a good sports team (expect the 3-0 Wizards).  Maybe I feel betrayed JaCo giving all the money for renovations...only to be EMBARRASED BY A THE WORST TEAM IN BASEBALL in return.

For whatever reason, my anger at David Glass (and the Royals as a whole) is at the highest level it's ever been.    :x
KC is the way to be!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Cyclops wrote:   We heard that Glass was leading the charge for change ( I know I heard that somewhere) and I was really hoping that baseball would eventually be more like the NFL where teams are so even that you never know who's going to be in the Super Bowl each year.
Doesn't seem like he is making much progress there either.  The current ownership/labor climate seems like we are headed much more towards small incremental change rather than any baseball reform revolution.  And Glass has probably become more a liability to reform rather than an agent of change.  By spending less on payroll than he takes in in revenue sharing, the large market teams now use him as the poster boy for why they shouldn't have to contribute more to revenue sharing.  Way to make your case for reform!  What a disaster.   
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Are we sure we even want more revenue sharing? It gives Glass no incentive to field a winning team.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

^^Exactly. If he even showed a small amount of desire / effort to field a real team, spend some of his precious cash, not hoard the small amount of money he receives from the other teams, he might have a voice.

I just find it hard to believe he doesn't have some pride in there somewhere. Just sitting back and watching the team appreciate in value is not enough for most of the owners. Where's the competitive ego?
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Try again....

Post by KCFutbol »

LS_Tiger wrote: 1) Why would Glass sell now?  Because he just doubled his investment with the tax passage (Forbes est. worth $200k, up from $96k he paid to buy them) and it won't appreciate much anytime in the near future. Its like selling a stock when you know it has climbed too fast and will plateau for years.  The problem is finding a buyer that would pay 200k now, not whether Glass would sell after seeing his investment double in a few short years.
I might be wrong but doesn't any profit from the selling of the team by Glass go to the charity that benefited from the original sale?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

No one knows if that deal is still in place. And that rumored deal only applied I believe if he sold to out-of-town owners.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag