Turncoat Star

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
scooterj
Ambassador

Turncoat Star

Post by scooterj »

Did you all see what The Star had to say today about downtown baseball... in St. Louis?

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/14310182.htm
The stadium alone hasn't changed things, but Slay said it gave confidence to businesses and investors, helping create momentum that is transforming downtown St. Louis from its desolate, dilapidated state of a decade ago.
Today, many of those buildings now house restaurants, shops, lofts and apartments. And many others are in the process of being gutted and remodeled. Before long, the revitalization spread to the rest of downtown.
Part of this year's development is the new Busch Stadium, where the Cardinals hosted the Milwaukee Brewers in Monday's home opener. The new ballpark offers a picturesque view of the Gateway Arch and the historic Old Courthouse.

"This truly is a wonderful addition to St. Louis," Gov. Matt Blunt said during a dedication ceremony prior to the game. "It is a symbol of the renaissance under way in this great city."
"I think what the ballpark does is not only serve as an important anchor and centerpiece for the revitalization effort, but it really adds to the momentum that will create a lot of new activity in that area," said Tom Reeves, a bank president and executive director of another downtown booster group, Downtown Now.

It's time for a new newspaper.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Turncoat Star

Post by kard »

That was an AP story, but yeah, I'm surprised they picked it up.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
omenapt
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by omenapt »

oh how i wish i hadn t stumbled upon this posting..Just makes my blood boil!!!

It has got to be one of the most annoying Rags in the country!
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

those worthless pieces of dung.... no wonder all their glass is shot out.

They can use the kickbacks from this laughable TSC vote they'll get to fix the broken glass.
Last edited by Deleted User on Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

HA! I'm just wondering when Pravda - DOH!! er The Star (that'd be the "daily rag" for you in the business) is going to demand the Jackson County taxpayers PAY for the glass that's been shot out.

BTW - Who's freakin brain-trust was that.  :shock: :shock: Glass panels the size of Montana, next to an interstate, in a deserted downtown.
Oh noooo, these won't draw ANYONE'S attention, oh noooooo. (play Mr. Bill tape here)

BANG BANG!!!!

Sportster
...did ya git it irv? ummm, think so!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Doesn't The Star, which I think supports downtown, see the irony in having that article?

"VOTE YES....KEEP THE TEAMS 5 MILES FROM DOWNTOWN."

"A DOWNTOWN BALLPARK IS GREAT....FOR ST. LOUIS."

:?:
KC is the way to be!
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

AllThingsKC wrote: Doesn't The Star, which I think supports downtown, see the irony in having that article?

^^ :D^^
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i saw a giant "pujols family" highway sign 30 miles outside of kc this weekend.

the pathetically small amount of whatever you want to call  it i have for the royals shriveled up and died.

off topic, way off topic.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i disagreed with the star's stance, too... but remember that news pages and opinion pages are not always edited by the same person (and in this case, they are not). most daily readers can discern the difference (those pesky editorials are actually on a page labeled "opinion", as well... just in case). did TV news bring you all the alternative angles the star did? no, they sure didn't... because they were too busy chasing thunderstorms and cell-phone swallowers to give a shit. i do expect criticisms of our only real local news source (sorry, i don't count bloggers... they just link to the star anyway), but please make sure your argument distinguishes between news and opinion.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

DaveKCMO wrote: i disagreed with the star's stance, too... but remember that news pages and opinion pages are not always edited by the same person (and in this case, they are not).
Except in this case the Star really went over the line between news and editorial when they sent a last-minute pro-SOS email to their database of online uses.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

dangerboy wrote: Except in this case the Star really went over the line between news and editorial when they sent a last-minute pro-SOS email to their database of online uses.
The SOS campaign took out a lot of advertising in the Star...I think its value was probably in the 10s of thousands of dollars. It's the same as Comedy Central not airing anti-Scientology stuff for fear of loss of advertising revenue. Objectivity flies out the window when a business is involved.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

dangerboy wrote: Except in this case the Star really went over the line between news and editorial when they sent a last-minute pro-SOS email to their database of online uses.
yeah I got this too.... I hate them for life, pathetic morons.
I hope the people in charge of their official position are gone soon.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The argument about the separation between the news and editorial sections went out the door when the Star turned over their front page to the SOS campaign.  The Star's idea of criticism is not publishing a Posnanski love fest for a day.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Now is a GREAT time to complain to their new parent company.  Let them know you're upset.  I'm sure the new guys are eager to start fiddling with management.  Lets help them figure out where to start.

contact@mcclatchy.com

http://www.mcclatchy.com/news/2006/stor ... 0749c.html
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

AllThingsKC wrote: Doesn't The Star, which I think supports downtown, see the irony in having that article?

Let me correct my own quote.  I misread the KC Star article.  The headline talks about how a downtown ballpark is IMPROVING DOWNTOWN ST. LOUIS.

That said, I can't believe the Star doesn't seem to see the irony in that.
KC is the way to be!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Not saying a stadium would not help (very limited) downtown, but the Star took the view of what was best for the Kansas City area as a whole, not a small section of the whole area.
There is a difference.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Not saying a stadium would not help (very limited) downtown, but the Star took the view of what was best for the Kansas City area as a whole, not a small section of the whole area.
There is a difference.
Uh...I think you might have sparked a fire with the downtown ballpark supporters...    So, just sit back, and wait for someone to explain how a DT ballpark would have been the best thing for the KC area as a whole...
KC is the way to be!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Not saying a stadium would not help (very limited) downtown, but the Star took the view of what was best for the Kansas City area as a whole, not a small section of the whole area.
There is a difference.
how is channeling hundreds of millions into a giant mistake of a development (TSC) best for KC as a whole?  hell, the TSC improvements don't even help a "small section," let alone "the whole area."  the Star's position was basically the equivalent of putting $200M into "upgrading" the obsolete, poorly-located Kemper Arena rather than spending $270M on a brand new facility in the heart of downtown.  picture a new K a few blocks from the Sprint Center.  you're telling me that wouldn't be good for more than just downtown? 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

^^^
Let's see.  A downtown stadium tying up 4 to 6, or more, blocks sitting empty for 280 days a year, bringing no life at all to downtown.  In its place have those same blocks occupied by offices, retail, restaurants, residences, etc. bringing life to downtown just about every day of the year.
I will take the second choice.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

interesting.  i guess kansas city, arlington TX, phoenix, anaheim, etc. have it right and the rest of the cities in the league have it wrong.