One really good reason voters should've rejected the stadium tax

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: One really good reason voters should've rejected the stadium tax

Post by KCPowercat »

trailerkid wrote: That's a funny spin to put on it-- the stadiums are great at generating revenue and economic benefit to Jackson County. Where is the dollar for dollar exchange on the investment?
You're right, let's vote it down hoping a county in KS steps up and takes on the burden...I'm sure that's why all the pro-ks people mentioning this want the team...has nothing to do with status or taking something from MO...they simply want to be good metro neighbors and tax themselves and take on this heavy burden......as you said it's nothing but a rip off...but KS people want to put it on themselves?

wait nobody has stood up and those who have even mentioned it have been on here with the aire of "we get something".

some people may not have thought it was the best spending of money...that's fine.  What's done is done.....until I hear something more than idle chatter about "sharing the load" I'm calling BS.  Hence this thread really has no point any more...does it?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: as you said it's nothing but a rip off...but KS people want to put it on themselves?
I guess they'll never get that opportunity...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

well some would say BS2 was a good chance.....I don't understand.  YOu wanted JaxCo to vote it down say 5 times (guessing) before the teams finally said "we're leaving" and then JoCo would have proudly stood up and put forward a proposal?  Come on dude.

It's not happening...it never was even dreamed up.  JaxCo is the leader once again taking care of stuff.....I'm glad somebody can stand up and be more than a bedroom community in this metro.  So you stand out there firing shots from Lawrence and we'll keep "being idiots".

KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

Only a moron would think that a metro of 2 million would have no sports teams. It won't happen, there is too much money to be made. So the suggestion that KC might have lost all of it's sports teams was idiotic to me. If Lamar and Glass left, 10 others would step in immediately with better deals.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: well some would say BS2 was a good chance.....I don't understand.  YOu wanted JaxCo to vote it down say 5 times (guessing) before the teams finally said "we're leaving" and then JoCo would have proudly stood up and put forward a proposal?  Come on dude.

It's not happening...it never was even dreamed up.  JaxCo is the leader once again taking care of stuff.....I'm glad somebody can stand up and be more than a bedroom community in this metro.  So you stand out there firing shots from Lawrence and we'll keep "being idiots".
This is exactly the kind of "leadership" we don't need. It is leading us back into the 70s. Maybe at the Truman roof unveiling they can play some Foghat records and have an appearance by Farrah Fawcett.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

[quote][It's not happening...it never was even dreamed up.  JaxCo is the leader once again taking care of stuff.....I'm glad somebody can stand up and be more than a bedroom community in this metro.  So you stand out there firing shots from Lawrence and we'll keep "being idiots"./quote]

I was 110% against prop 1 & 2 until I read this post.  I will give it to Jackson Countians for taking up the slack of the remaining counties in the metro. 
Calling a spade a spade.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

so tk what leadership do you think the metro needs...?  Examples please.  What has any other municipality done to show they can be a leader?

lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

KCPowercat wrote: so tk what leadership do you think the metro needs...?  Examples please.  What has any other municipality done to show they can be a leader?
You are calling JackCo a leader?  Leaders are proactive.  JackCo is reactive at best.  The only way JackCo can be called a leader is if we MUST have a leader, then they receive that distinction by default.  We need to stop pretending that JackCo is some kind of visioary force.  They/we are not.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yes, we are by default...call it the least bad leader

kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

We're not leading.  We're just the first to walk off the cliff everytime we hit a quandary while everyone else chooses to look for a bridge.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

no, everyone else looks for us to build the bridge...and then they walk over it.

ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

OK.  I'm officially burying the hatchet regarding the April 4th vote.  It didn't occur to me till this afternoon what's really important in life while playing tee ball with son in my parents backyard.  My dad was listening to the Royals game and my son(who will be 3 in July) is knocking the crap out of the ball.  I'm like what the hell I'm taking him to the Royal's game tomorrow against the White Sox.  Sure the TSC is not downtown but I really don't think my son cares.  He doesn't care about the tax increase for renovations, he doesn't care what little David Glass chipped in.  Everything is new to him and not giving him the opportunity to experience things I experienced when I was a kid is not fair.  So tomorrow we'll be out there around 12:30p, getting seats in the old right field GA.  We're doing the Little K, buying him a Royals jersey and hat, and hopefully get to watch a majority of the game and make it till the kids run the bases.  The weather is going to be beautiful and I'm looking forward to it.  I'm really looking forward to taking my son to STL for a Cardinals game in there new stadium but damn the K is nice and convenient especially if you're almost 3.
Calling a spade a spade.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

ShowME wrote: but damn the K is nice and convenient especially if you're almost 3.
Couldn't have said it better.  Now for those of us 4 and older........ :) :(
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

It's "convenient" for my parents who live in St. Charles County to be able to park for free at the Hanley Park&Ride and hop on the Metrolink for 3 bucks and go to ball games at a downtown stadium.  :wink: :wink:
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

[quote][It's "convenient" for my parents who live in St. Charles County to be able to park for free at the Hanley Park&Ride and hop on the Metrolink for 3 bucks and go to ball games at a downtown stadium. /quote]

Couldn't agree more.  People put down St. Charles County all the time but man it sure would be nice to drive 10 minutes and catch light rail to all the city's destinations.
Calling a spade a spade.
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

I'm ready to focus now on getting KC's rail transportation off the ground...now that we have TSC in place for the forseeable future, why not build light rail out to there from the core?  At least the parking lots out there could be used as massive park 'n ride lots for commuters from the east.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

I'm ready to focus now on getting KC's rail transportation off the ground...now that we have TSC in place for the forseeable future, why not build light rail out to there from the core?

That will never ever happen.  It would take away from the parking revenue that the owners reap.  We don't want to take money away from their starving families.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I don't think the owners have a say if the city decides it wants to build a rail out to the facility. After all, they're the taxpayers' facilities.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

kucer wrote:

That will never ever happen.  It would take away from the parking revenue that the owners reap.  We don't want to take money away from their starving families.
just can't let it go, can you?!
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

kcdcchef wrote: just can't let it go, can you?!
53-47.