Why don't we just put a roof on Arrowhead?

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
rokhok
Pad site
Pad site

Why don't we just put a roof on Arrowhead?

Post by rokhok »

Couldn't we get the national events with a roof on Arrowhead at a lot lower cost than a rolling roof?  The Royals don't rain out that much.  The All-Star game doesn't care about the roof.  The Royals aren't contributing to the roof anyway.

Am I missing something?
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Why don't we just put a roof on Arrowhead?

Post by bahua »

That was my feeling, too. What is the point of a rolling roof in an MLB city that gets more sunny days than almost any other outdoor MLB city?

However, I think sitting outside is part of the charm of watching football. Bundling up, rejoicing in the hot food, watching your cheers in the air in front of you. Football was meant to be played in the cold, and Super Bowls were meant to be played in the South.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Why don't we just put a roof on Arrowhead?

Post by Steve52 »

Thats to obvious, practical, cost effective.
LS_Tiger
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

On the money....

Post by LS_Tiger »

Seriously, 90% of the economic benefit (superbowl, other large events conventions, final four) is what happens inside Arrowhead with a roof.  The Royals truly don't need it -- not hard to make up a rainout -- and we can get an all-star game without it.  The pavilion idea between the stadims is pretty lame.  It wouldn't be climate controlled, only good for providing a little shade in the summer for some events. 

The problem may lie in how to put a retractable roof on a stadium that, even with improvements, is probably not designed for one.  The Chiefs certainly don't want the roof in place during football games for home field advantage, but we could get a bowl game on a regular basis with one.