Develop the area around the TSC?

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Develop the area around the TSC?

Post by kard »

Unless you do something Village West, Independence Center-size, or large company (400+ workers maybe) then I don't see any development happening at the TSC.  It's just too isolated, with too much red-tape/complication to get through.  I predict it will sit there, just for sports events (and a few random concerts, etc), like it has for the past 30+ years.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

why would you even waste your time with the parking lot at TSC.

The only possibility I see is if they put a regional draw there such as an IKEA... 
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

They need to build more lots out there...there isn't NEARLY enough parking at TSC.
BigBill33
Pad site
Pad site

Post by BigBill33 »

shinatoo wrote: Tax Increases.....

and, Pinot Noir.
Yes, I realize it is all stagnant!

What's wrong with tax increases if it is used for infrastructure enhancements, ie. transit, stadiums (maybe), downtown improvements, etc.?

Bill
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

The voting public apparently thinks the Truman Sports Complex is a wonderful place, and that sporting events don't need any sort of surrounding development or activity. 

If a private developer wants to build at the TSC . . . well, I would support throwing some incentives at them to bring their development into the core, and if they still want to build at TSC, they're on their own, and more power to them. 

Throwing public incentives at a developer to build at TSC is just wrong.  The smart use of the money would have been to bring baseball downtown, and you automatically get activity that is already downtown and the activity scheduled to come online over the next few years.  Give incentives to development at TSC, and you're suddenly spending the same, if not more, money to get that development in an isolated area, where fewer people will take advantage of it. 

Plus, development at the TSC would only be good for supporting itself, while spending that same money downtown would have a ripple effect.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Any development around TSC would not necessarily be for TSC.  Development would occur because the land is available.  Development would probably be on the fringes so that it would not interfere with game day parking activity inside the complex.  This area is worthy of economic incentives much like any other area in the City.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

The bigest problem for this area is Skip Slyster. That dude owns thousands of aecers along 40 from the blue river to Blue Ridge Cutoff. He has been holding it out of speculation and the only businesses he has put on it are trailer parks, cheep motels and a strip club.

Once he dies off things will hopefully break loose over there.

Dude is a nut.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Talking with a friend walking out of the game tonight, we thought even just a bar ran by the royals that stayed open a few hours after the game would be good....kind of like a Stadium Club but for all people, not just season ticket holders.

Maybe even have it so people could mill around the area under/behind the crown scoreboard....so if friends wanted to catch a drink after the game, they could be at the park and do it there......

if they don't fine with me, I can see people driving 10 minutes west to a newly opened P&L district.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote: Talking with a friend walking out of the game tonight, we thought even just a bar ran by the royals that stayed open a few hours after the game would be good....kind of like a Stadium Club but for all people, not just season ticket holders.
Yeah, that would be great - sitting out there in the middle of INdependence, wtih all the stadium lights off excpet for the scoreboard bank.  What a neat setting to drink with the buds.

In 5 years, when P&L is up and running, people will rue the day they let the Glasses demand the renovations.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: Yeah, that would be great - sitting out there in the middle of INdependence, wtih all the stadium lights off excpet for the scoreboard bank.  What a neat setting to drink with the buds.

In 5 years, when P&L is up and running, people will rue the day they let the Glasses demand the renovations.
You've never been more right.

We went Tuesday and the first thing my girlfriend said was "why don't they build bars around here like they do in Chicago?"

"Would you really want to come to bars way out here?"

"I guess not. They should build a rail system out here then."

And we actually ate at the Denny's. I can see why the teams wanted to stay at the TSC. That Denny's is AWESOME!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

Has anybody else felt that perhaps this folder on the discussion board is now inappropriately named?  "New Stadiums Discussion" really is pretty saddening to see now.

Maybe the "New" should be removed from the name of the folder?  Just a thought...
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCMax wrote: You've never been more right.

We went Tuesday and the first thing my girlfriend said was "why don't they build bars around here like they do in Chicago?"

"Would you really want to come to bars way out here?"

"I guess not. They should build a rail system out here then."

And we actually ate at the Denny's. I can see why the teams wanted to stay at the TSC. That Denny's is AWESOME!

11K today on a gorgeous Spring afternoon, with Santana on the mound.

And it was a pain to drive out of there afterwards, backed up before you even got to the entry gates (where they take your parking passes).  What a stupid, 1970s plan this is.  (And will be!)
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

And it was a pain to drive out of there afterwards, backed up before you even got to the entry gates (where they take your parking passes). 
I thought it was only a pain in the ass to get in and out of a downtown stadium.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: Yeah, that would be great - sitting out there in the middle of INdependence, wtih all the stadium lights off excpet for the scoreboard bank.  What a neat setting to drink with the buds.

I've seen people drink in odder places than that.  Probably not a lot of people would use it but I think you'd be surprised....can we quit bringing up the downtown park stuff, it's over.

I'm all for people driving to the P&L and partying there.....just take the bus out to the game and back downtown....no freaking need for light rail.

Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

KCPowercat wrote: ...no freaking need for light rail.
i want the city to be blanketed with rail transit options.  :)

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

sewers first.

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCPowercat wrote: sewers first.
i would agree with that too. there is no need to pursue light rail in kc until the other components of the city are in place, p&l, sprint center, east village, hopefully riverfront development, THEN, light rail.

right now, fix those sewers. that is a mega problem waiting to happen.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote: I've seen people drink in odder places than that.  Probably not a lot of people would use it but I think you'd be surprised....can we quit bringing up the downtown park stuff, it's over.
I'm not ever going to completely stop talking about this vote.  It was horrible, and you can bet your last dollar that you'll be hearing plenty more of it in the coming years, when DT is thriving.

And why should you stop talking about something important, anyway?  When the war vote passed in 2003, did that mean people couldn't still bitch & moan about it?  Esp. when it ends up going so poorly a couple years later?  Hardly.  Things are never really 'over' in development, or politics.

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: I'm not ever going to completely stop talking about this vote.  It was horrible, and you can bet your last dollar that you'll be hearing plenty more of it in the coming years, when DT is thriving.
then have a nice 30+ years bitching and moaning about something that will NEVER happen.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

well let's complain about how the states of MO and KS were divided up....I really hurt development in KC drawing a line down so close to KC so let's discuss it here....we can do a lot about it.

Annoying.  Just discuss what the topic calls for.