Develop the area around the TSC?

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Develop the area around the TSC?

Post by bahua »

Build a bunch of ten-level parking decks, and fill in a bunch of the land that's currently wasted on surface parking, and put in bars.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

bahua wrote: Build a bunch of ten-level parking decks, and fill in a bunch of the land that's currently wasted on surface parking, and put in bars.
Or build garages and build on top of them...just like many buildings...*gasp* downtown!

BRILLIANT!!
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
BigBill33
Pad site
Pad site

Post by BigBill33 »

Something needs to be done around the stadium complex!

A few things come to mind...

-Better access points
-Improved traffic control
-Hotels (might help in attracting big name events)
-Bars and restaurants (Normally I am opposed to corporate types - bars & restaurants, but it might help improve the scenery)

Resurface parking lots might be nice too!

Bill
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

GRID wrote: There is enough money to build a retractable roof on Arrowhead in that tax.
Yes, I've been for a retractable over Arrowhead only this whole time. I hope this is what gets done.
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

I think they should invest in some more surface parking...and more interstate highways.  That should help alleviate some of the traffic problems they have around there now.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

BigBill33 wrote: Something needs to be done around the stadium complex!

A few things come to mind...

-Better access points
-Improved traffic control
-Hotels (might help in attracting big name events)
-Bars and restaurants (Normally I am opposed to corporate types - bars & restaurants, but it might help improve the scenery)

Resurface parking lots might be nice too!

Bill
I would rather just leave it as it is.  To build something here with the critical mass to make it worthwhile would create a serious competitor with downtown.  DT does not need that right now with a mirror image of what people want at TSC coming to fruition at Village West.  Especially not with the P&L district coming on line within the next year.  KC is just not big enough to support all these entertainment/restaurant venues and we certainly cannot afford to have downtown come out the loser.  The best thing you could build at the stadium right now would be a light rail terminus to bring people in from downtown.  That would be the best scenario given the fact a DT stadium sill not be built, make TSC a five minute Light Rail commute from downtown.   
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Yeah, I kind of like the idea of leaving the TSC as wretched as it is, so people can eventually figure out that it sucks to have stadiums in the middle of nowhere.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

GRID wrote: Stadiums don't generate retail activity, they just don't.  They actually detract from it.
And that is why a stadium should not be downtown.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: And that is why a stadium should not be downtown.
bingo. if kauffman were in the north loop from the get go, this forum could have been saved 400 pages of bullshit.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

it all depends on the context, and situation of the surrounding area.  I agree, if you just plop a stadium down somewhere, you can't expect retail to naturally pop up.  I think the couple of stadiums that we enjoy and think of as examples of great "neighborhood" ballparks (Wrigley and Fenway) are intimately intertwined with their surrounding context, and not only serve as ballparks but as lynchpins to retail areas that have morphed into entertainment districts over time.  I think it'll be interesting to see how the Ballpark Village does in St.L, as a new way of building stadiums along with associated entertainment distrcits.  I'm guessing much of the Ballpark Village's success will depend on the health of downtown as a whole, and its ability to not only continue building up residential density but also make it a frequent entertainment destination for St. Louisans year round.  Retail will not work at the TSC because there is no surrounding context to provide synergy to it, or the kind of "backup" for non game days, and i doubt they can create another "destination" retailing complex with so many in the pipeline.

I think a dt stadium WAS a viable option, and it's fine if people disagree with it for other reasons, but saying it wasn't a good idea because it would never be able to support retail or create spinoff benefits is just not accurate.  I'm not saying it would be easy, or a surefire success, but i think it was an option well worth exploring.  But some here would not even entertain the possibility.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Stadiums and retail don't get along very well.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Stadiums + Downtown = stagnant
Stadiums + Retail = stagnant

What DOES go well with stadiums?  (I'm not aiming this any you, Grid--this is just the general point that I'm getting from a lot of folks).
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Kard wrote: Stadiums + Downtown = stagnant
Stadiums + Retail = stagnant

What DOES go well with stadiums?  (I'm not aiming this any you, Grid--this is just the general point that I'm getting from a lot of folks).
Tax Increases.....

and, Pinot Noir.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

shinatoo wrote: and, Pinot Noir.
I prefer a nice sweet beer, to go with the sour/bitter baseball.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
BigBill33
Pad site
Pad site

Post by BigBill33 »

Highlander wrote: I would rather just leave it as it is.  To build something here with the critical mass to make it worthwhile would create a serious competitor with downtown.  DT does not need that right now with a mirror image of what people want at TSC coming to fruition at Village West.  Especially not with the P&L district coming on line within the next year.  KC is just not big enough to support all these entertainment/restaurant venues and we certainly cannot afford to have downtown come out the loser.  The best thing you could build at the stadium right now would be a light rail terminus to bring people in from downtown.  That would be the best scenario given the fact a DT stadium sill not be built, make TSC a five minute Light Rail commute from downtown.   
That might be the best of both worlds!  Plus, it could be a teaser for people who are "on the fence" about LRT.  I understand your points.  I am certainly not suggesting a full scale production like at Village West, but something more than what is there now.  Maybe some cleaning, resurfacing the lots, better traffic control would be better.  Actually I like the idea of the LRT!  Someone should propose that to the Mayor!

Bill
DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

I think we could really develope the area between the two stadiums where the roof will cover when its idle. If we got rid of the player parking and moved it somewhere else, I could see a P&L District sort of thing happenin, just on a smaller scale.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i'm not down with decanting any more potential or future wealth and vibrancy from downtown to the tsc. i hope they just leave it as it is, and eventually have a LRT stop there.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

DowntownBryan wrote: I think we could really develope the area between the two stadiums where the roof will cover when its idle. If we got rid of the player parking and moved it somewhere else, I could see a P&L District sort of thing happenin, just on a smaller scale.
The rolling roof is dead, for now. If anything comes up, it will most likely just be a roof for Arrowhead.
DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

really? its dead for good? i would have thought they would gather as many representatives as they can to pitch in privately this whole summer to fund it. but if not thats sad because i get the feeling that many jackson county residents werent told that they wouldnt have to pay a tax for the roof, my grandfather sure didnt.

oh well, we can still dream i guess.

maybe we could still develop that spot and just build a smaller glass awning across it, similar to the one in the P&L district.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I didn't say it was dead for good. I said it was dead for now.