Re: Develop the area around the TSC?

Post by bahua »

I like sour cream.
AF
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by AF »

I think apart of the renovation is a right field restaurant that would be open after the game. Long term, light rail is the answer. The bus is ok but it still has to wait in traffic. That would be so fantastic on gamedays for to have light rail that would make it a quick trip from dt to tsc. after everything that is currently slated to be done, this is the next big thing. This would be better than anything at TSC. I would just rather see new development downtown and a fast way to get back and forth.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I think we've been through this, so forgive me for asking an old question, but isn't light rail stuck in traffic too? Using ground-level tracks that cross city streets and wait at lights? Dallas' system was this way, when I was there.

What's the word for something like Chicago's system? The El, not the Metra.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

AF wrote: light rail is the answer. The bus is ok but it still has to wait in traffic. That would be so fantastic on gamedays for to have light rail that would make it a quick trip from dt to tsc.
Soo..  We spend a Billion or so to connect dt to the tsc? When we couldve...  ugh.. nevermind.
AF
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by AF »

MidWestSider wrote: Soo..  We spend a Billion or so to connect dt to the tsc? When we couldve...  ugh.. nevermind.
I agree with your sentiments about where the ballpark is located but I think are alot of other benefits other than connecting dt and tsc.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

AF wrote: I agree with your sentiments about where the ballpark is located but I think are alot of other benefits other than connecting dt and tsc.
save it AF. people here never see benefits to ANYTHING unless it is parked right in the cbd.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
AF
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by AF »

With the right leadership its possible. Ten years ago if you told someone that we were going to get a new arena, a pac, an entertainment district and have a massively expanded National WWI museum downtown, they would have told you this town would never go for that.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

GRID wrote: The stadiums are surrounded by 22,000 parking spaces.  It makes no sense what so ever to force retail development "around" the stadium, which would be along Blue Ridge or something.

A suburban office park across I-70 is about the only thing that could happen there.
Grid...take a chopper down to DFW. This is what Steiner(yes, our Steiner) is building around the new Cowboy's stadium in Arlington:

DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

I think you mean around the Rangers' field instead of Cowboys. By the way, the Cowboys too are getting a new stadium and it's going to be downtown :(
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Last edited by Deleted User on Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthKC1985
Pad site
Pad site

Post by SouthKC1985 »

DowntownBryan wrote: I think you mean around the Rangers' field instead of Cowboys. By the way, the Cowboys too are getting a new stadium and it's going to be downtown :(
Yeah... Downtown Arlington
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Michael, did you see my Dallas/Fort Worth threads on ssp?  Missed Arlington though.  I don't understand the rendering, that looks like a baseball stadium...
Last edited by GRID on Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

Isn't Dallas/Ft Worth the 5th largest metro in the country?
KC can't pull this off, there's no way the metro could support anything there.
And why should they? What's the difference or special attraction to the Applebees at TSC rather than just drive home to your neighborhood in Lees Summit and stop at Chile's there?

Downtown would have been a distinct and unique draw before and after games.

The whole idea of retail & entertainment around a ballpark is only realized from critical mass.
You can't "build" critical mass out of nothing.
TSC is a disparate lagoon surrounded by ugly, sprawled industrial and old, nearly rural-looking, low-income suburbs.

Face it, the area around TSC is a joke.
Just accept what the Jackson Cty leadership gave you and be done with it.
A billion dollar rehab... Lol. We'll have exactly what we had in 1970.

Isn't Washington DC building something out of basically "nothing." What about the plans for Candlestick(49's). Talk about an urban wasteland. Hunters Point in SF makes TSC look like an oasis. I think HOK is doing the design for a refurbished Candlestick and surrounding area
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

macnw wrote: Isn't Washington DC building something out of basically "nothing." What about the plans for Candlestick(49's). Talk about an urban wasteland. Hunters Point in SF makes TSC look like an oasis. I think HOK is doing the design for a refurbished Candlestick and surrounding area
I think you just backed up his point by naming two metros that are probably 4-5 times larger than ours.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Last edited by Deleted User on Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

Those are renderings of what DC will look like. Can you verify that is what is there now? SF metropolitan area has 6-8 million people in an area 2-3 x size of KC's area. Have you been to the SF metro area. It makes KC look small. On the other hand SF and the mid peninsula area have a few million, if that. How you can include Oakland, San Jose, Concord, Santa Rosa etc in the same breath is beyond me. FYI, Hunters Point is still questionable. Visit there and tell me you will live there, view or no view.
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

Seems to me that they've done a pretty good job at Village West of building up the level of "critical mass".

Developing the area around TSC could be easily done, it's just a matter of will.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

We need more attitude like that of 49er, a can do approach. 8)
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Last edited by Deleted User on Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

macnw wrote: Those are renderings of what DC will look like. Can you verify that is what is there now? S
yes. i can. not one damn thing. there is NOTHING there except whores, drug dealers, and crime, in a desolate sea of shit. they are going to build it up.
Michael® wrote: It's within walking distance of the capital, you dunce.

Hunter's Point has 3 million people within a short drive and mass transit.

only if you are into track and field. anocostia is miles from the capitol. sure, you can see it. duh, the capital is fucken huge, you can see it from miles away. just like you can see the kansas city skyline from the back of kauffman. big deal. does not make it walkable.

Michael® wrote:

Hunter's Point has 3 million people within a short drive and mass transit.

the ballpark in san fran, candlestick, is no where near downtown. just like kauffman.

get over it. it is done. and they are right mikey, if they can develop vw and the commons, developing the area around the tsc is very possible, and feasible, and will ultimately happen in one way or another in the next 10 years.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D