Now What?

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Now What?

Post by kcdcchef »

bahua wrote: Please feel free to quote me on this:

I don't expect any appreciable work to be done on the stadiums with this money. The ballot language doesn't require or enforce it. I expect the money we're handing them to become as lost as Jimmy Hoffa.

I also expect that they'll be demanding more money before the decade is out.

Kansas City forsook itself, and for that, I am supremely disappointed.
oh my god. i really thought when one passed the lunacy would stop. amazing. now you are thinking that the onwers are just going to build nothing and pocket the dough. yeah. sure.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

bahua.....well hopefully there is proper oversight....but if that's what you think, why would a tax for a new stadium be much different?

There obviously needs to be controls in place to make sure this money is spent the right way....I really don't think they are simply going to add new paint to the walls and call it good.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

KCPowercat wrote: bahua.....well hopefully there is proper oversight....but if that's what you think, why would a tax for a new stadium be much different?

There obviously needs to be controls in place to make sure this money is spent the right way....I really don't think they are simply going to add new paint to the walls and call it good.
I don't think they're going to rewire the stadiums either. Why is it in their hands, anyway? Shouldn't *we* be the ones responsible for that?
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

KCPowercat wrote: What was it?  The lack of another plan.  If there was a downtown groundswell, the leadership should have had the balls to stand up, piss off a few people, and let that plan be known.
There isn't any leadership.  Sometimes the people need to step up and correct things.  I've heard numerous people today say "I voted yes because there was nothing better out here."  Saying the lesser of two evils is still evil is ok.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

bahua wrote: I don't expect any appreciable work to be done on the stadiums with this money. The ballot language doesn't require or enforce it.
Oh, I imagine they'll do some pretty serious cosmetic work, add some revenue-generating luxury suites, and improve the locker rooms. I'm not sure that will account for all the money, though. I'm more worried about what will happen to the money the tax will generate above and beyond the payoff.

Oh yeah, and KC's sewers.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

That giant sucking sound of KC Taxpayer dollars mysteriously evaporating into the ether.
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

There'll be plenty to talk about with all the construction that will be going on out at TSC.  This forum will be just as informative as the P&L district forum.

When does construction begin?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

49r wrote: There'll be plenty to talk about with all the construction that will be going on out at TSC.  This forum will be just as informative as the P&L district forum.

I would guess on the K as soon as the season is over. (October 1st by all accounts). I would guess they will let the contracts in phases. It will take most of the summer to do the design work and let the contracts. The demolition and foundation contracts could be on line by the end of September.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

49r wrote: There'll be plenty to talk about with all the construction that will be going on out at TSC.  This forum will be just as informative as the P&L district forum.

You mean Constructing Championship Teams that will be big draws and revenue producers?