As a "bystander" watching the voting process from JoCo:

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

As a "bystander" watching the voting process from JoCo:

Post by StL_Dan »

I commend the seemingly fantastic turnout for today's voting.

810 WHB just gave the percentage of registered voters that turned out...I missed the number, but it seems like it was unusually high given historical turnout.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: As a "bystander" watching the voting process from JoCo:

Post by dangerboy »

Sorry but I have interest in bystander comments on this issue. The "bystanders" had an opportunity to participate in this process in November 2004 (a.k.a. Bistate II) and we all know what choice y'all made.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

apples and oranges

not the same proposal
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah let's try to keep this down to one dividing issue per thread and not introduce who pays for what...that's just me.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

heck, i just wanted to give a shout out to those that showed up to vote, regardless their choice....and bi-state II is resurrected from the dead and shoved in my face.

classy
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Sorry but there are still a lot of hard feelings around the county regarding Bistate II and the fact that once again a minority of metro residents has to step up and take responsibility for something that the majority benefits from.

Bottom line, now is not the time for people outside Jackson County to be telling us what they think.  That time has passed, unless your county wants to offer some it's tax money to help offset the cost of the stadium improvements.  Dan, when was the last time you wrote letters to your city/county/state reps asking them to contribute to the stadiums and/or make their own bid to takeover the burden?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Clark Hunt freaks me out.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Why would a JoCoer write his rep asking them to pay for something they are currently getting for free?  This isn't a charity project (although JackCo seems to think it is).
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

dangerboy wrote: Sorry but there are still a lot of hard feelings around the county regarding Bistate II and the fact that once again a minority of metro residents has to step up and take responsibility for something that the majority benefits from.

Bottom line, now is not the time for people outside Jackson County to be telling us what they think.  That time has passed, unless your county wants to offer some it's tax money to help offset the cost of the stadium improvements.  Dan, when was the last time you wrote letters to your city/county/state reps asking them to contribute to the stadiums and/or make their own bid to takeover the burden?
Wow...you have more pent up anger than a Jayhawk fan.

I have written letters to local reps regarding moral issues, but to date, none regarding financial issues regarding taxes relating to the public benefitting wealthy owners of pro sports teams.

And, I probably never will as long as Hunt and the Kauffman Foundation continues to own the Chiefs and Royals but only contribute a measely 25% of total expenses to revamp their own places of business.

For the record, I prefer...check that, I want the Royals to remain in MISSOURI.  But, it's not up to me this time around.  Last time, 90% of the money going to K and Arrowhead renovations was from tax dollars.  GET REAL.  Two wrongs don't make a right.  It's not a JoCo vs JackCO issue...it's an issue of not wanting to get effed up the rear while Hunt and the Royals laugh all the way to the bank.

Look at what happened in StL.  The Ed Jones Dome was taxpayer funded.  The avg taxpayer got screwed.  But, they learned.  Next time around, when the public was asked to finance the majority of Busch III, they said F U.  The Country Day Boys rattled their sabres and threatened a move to Illannoy.  Blah blah blah.  It didn't happen.  Instead, the CDB caved and are financing 92% of the new construction costs.

I'm not preaching StL vs KC here...I'm just saying that voters in KC have no back bone on this issue and caved out of irrational fear this time around.  They held up in 2004, but caved in 2005.  Don't get pissy with me over it.

So be it.  Let's move on.