Official: April 2006 election results thread

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Official: April 2006 election results thread

Post by im2kull »

KCMax wrote: I think we should move downtown to the TSC.
Why not have some development around it, it could happen.  Look at clayton compared to stl...and they dont even have a stadium there....

I think that makes the argument for development away from the core of a city.  I still dont see why nobody has offered to make a garage and build on top of it around the tsc...I cant imagine a better location for a big hotel or mall.  Or a damn bar.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCPowercat wrote: anybody who thinks this vote hurts downtown needs to open their eyes a little wider....downtown is rocking.
Here, Here!!!    =D> =D> =D>  This vote will NOT kill Downtown Kansas City!!!
KC is the way to be!
loft_dweller
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by loft_dweller »

KCPowercat wrote: drop an ikea there and stuff will follow.  I do hope they work in some businesses around the complex.
Why not have some development around it, it could happen.  Look at clayton compared to stl...and they dont even have a stadium there....

I think that makes the argument for development away from the core of a city.  I still dont see why nobody has offered to make a garage and build on top of it around the tsc...I cant imagine a better location for a big hotel or mall.  Or a damn bar.
Yes Yes, squander your resources and spread out your density further.  You guys make it all to easy.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

Michael® wrote:
Downtown will never reach it's potential and KC will never, ever be a world class city in my lifetime.
Pissant
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

thanks for your concern.

downtown and suburb developments aren't an either/or situation.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

KCPowercat wrote: anybody who thinks this vote hurts downtown needs to open their eyes a little wider....downtown is rocking.
My eyes are wide open.  If by rocking you mean construction activity, then yes.  But DT is far from "rocking" by any reasonable use of the term.

The same people we are trying to bring downtown for the new entertainment options are the one that prefer their suburban stadiums.  It is an uphill battle.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Try traveling to another city sometime. KC's downtown could have DOUBLE the projects it has now and still be light years away from our peers. Sure downtown is seeing more development than at any other single time in the past but now Downtown will simply NEVER reach it's potential. Anyone who thinks otherwise has his head in the sand. There is very little private development going on downtown. KC only has a certain amount of people and development dollars and baseball downtown was one of the few possibilities we had to truley catch up and create a real after-hours vibe.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

AllThingsKC wrote: Here, Here!!!    =D> =D> =D>  This vote will NOT kill Downtown Kansas City!!!
Of course it won't.  However, it won't be nearly as cool, nor will it be showcased in the same way as it may have had a dt stadium become a reality.

But, let's move on.  Hopefully, the improvements at the K will dramatically reduce the sterile ambience of the place.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

well it's all relative I guess...since I've moved down here, I'd now call it rocking....more construction wise right now, I agree....

a vote for renovations wasn't a vote against downtown....that's foolhearty to believe.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

im2kull wrote: I think that makes the argument for development away from the core of a city.  I still dont see why nobody has offered to make a garage and build on top of it around the tsc...I cant imagine a better location for a big hotel or mall.  Or a damn bar.
People would be irate. They love tailgating in the sprawling parking lot.

C'mon, let's not be bitter. The renovations passed, let's make the best of it. The stadiums will look great once they're done, they're just in a poor location.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Michael® wrote: Try traveling to another city sometime. KC's downtown could have DOUBLE the projects it has now and still be light years away from our peers. Sure downtown is seeing more development than at any other single time in the past but now Downtown will simply NEVER reach it's potential. Anyone who thinks otherwise has his head in the sand. There is very little private development going on downtown. KC only has a certain amount of people and development dollars and baseball downtown was one of the few possibilities we had to truley catch up and create a real after-hours vibe.
I'm with you....I love going to Denver, Baltimore and seeing what they've done...but it's not the only way to do things....I would love a downtown park....but I could also be a devil's advocate and show you sT. Louis....years of a downtown park and nothing around it....obviously it looks like that is changing now.....which I'm happy about.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KCMax wrote: People would be irate. They love tailgating in the sprawling parking lot.

C'mon, let's not be bitter. The renovations passed, let's make the best of it. The stadiums will look great once they're done, they're just in a poor location.
I'm with Max on this...it's over....no use worrying about it now...let's make the best of it.........I'm excited to see Kauffman 2.0

loft_dweller
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by loft_dweller »

KCPowercat wrote: obviously it looks like that is changing now
Yes some cities learn from the past.....and some don't.
kevink
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kevink »

voltopt wrote: well, somebody loan me 2 billion dollars and i will make this happen - it will reorient the city to the southeast - increasing the denisty, population, connectivity.  there is no reason we can't connect downtown through 18th and vine down linwood to the sports complex and back to the plaza.  it could become very nice if someone wants to throw money my way...  truly a world class city!

But where will everybody park??  :lol:
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

loft_dweller wrote: Yes some cities learn form the past.....and some don't.
well nothing has proven out yet.....30 years of a downtown park and STL had nothing to show for it...they were the example of the people against downtown ballparks.  Now run away.

lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

On Paintfumes driveway :)
kevink
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kevink »

StL_Dan wrote: Of course it won't.   However, it won't be nearly as cool, nor will it be showcased in the same way as it may have had a dt stadium become a reality.
Agreed. Of course it's not a DT killer, but it's a really silly waste of precious resources and people. A missed opportunity, to say it politely.

Who wants to establish the over/under on when the teams will come back wanting new stadiums? Will it be longer than the Kemper renovations-Sprint Center vote timeline, or about the same?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

You have got to be fucking kidding me.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kevink wrote: Agreed. Of course it's not a DT killer, but it's a really silly waste of precious resources and people. A missed opportunity, to say it politely.

Who wants to establish the over/under on when the teams will come back wanting new stadiums? Will it be longer than the Kemper renovations-Sprint Center vote timeline, or about the same?
I think we'll be building a new stadium about the time ST. Louis has to build another one....so in the short term, we've saved a little cash :)

im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

loft_dweller wrote: Yes Yes, squander your resources and spread out your density further.  You guys make it all to easy.
everyone is applauding stl, but they do the same thing...every city in the US experiences urban decay..end of story.

Im a billion percent towards DT, but some dumb people need to open their eyes and realize its not about the actualy limits of the city, its about the region as a whole, THINK KC, open your eyes, realize the imaginary lines are just that...imaginary.  We are all one region, we should stand tall and represent it well.

Whats in your heart, comes out your mouth.  Whats in KC, spills into the neighboring area, it betters the community as a whole.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.