Official: Arrowhead Final Four Speculation

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City

Rolling Roof supporters claim that Kansas City could compete for a Final Four if the roof is approved. What do you think?

Yes
80%
No
16%
I don't participate in polls
4%

Total votes: 49

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Official: Arrowhead Final Four Speculation

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Supposedly there has been a tremendous amount of fan disatisfaction and complaints with some of these recent venues.  If you shell out thousands for a prime front and center seat and still can't see for shit due to the crappy angle - you probably are going to have a word or two for the NCAA.  Its not just the distance from the court - the seating angles in football stadiums are not suitable for bball.  Yes there is a lot of money to be made, but I don't think the NCAA will want the Final Four to continue developing a reputation as the major sporting event where the fan is gauranteed a shitty experience. 
the ncaa does not give two shits. they love filling 55-70,000 venues out. the revenue for their evil little corporation that loves raking in the dough while preaching to the kids that play it not to be money grubbers, LOVES THE MONEY.

and the idea of playing hoops before like 82,000 an arrowhead could hold for this, has got them salivating.

they really do not care at all about the fan experience. not one bit. because for every fan pissed off that the view sucks, or cannot see it, or whatever, there are 10,000 other fans lining up just to get in to see the action.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Today's sports page in the Star has a shot from inside the Ed Dome at last year's Final Four in the Lou.  It's about 2/3 full.  I'm guessing 40 thousand with the floor seats?

"Echo!"

echo.....

echo....
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

kcdcchef wrote: because for every fan pissed off that the view sucks, or cannot see it, or whatever, there are 10,000 other fans lining up just to get in to see the action.
Well, to look in the general direction of the action. Only people with excellent vision could actually see it.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: But those same people still buy the tickets.  And if not them, others wait in line.  It might change.  In 10 years?  15 years?  20 years?  35 years.
Ticket sales are but a tiny drop in the total revenue bucket for the final four.  If the fan experience surveys are as ugly as it sounds, it isn't going to take them 10 years to take corrective action.  I would be shocked if it already isn't becoming a consideration in the selection process.  Sure they are committed to domes for a few more years but it won't be long after that before we see them shifting back into MSG and Staples Center type venues - not that big of a revenue difference, and much better PR. 
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I'm just curious. How, besides tickets, does the NCAA make money with the Final Four? I know a lot of money changes hands on hotels and restaurants, but the NCAA doesn't see any of that.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

bahua wrote: I'm just curious. How, besides tickets, does the NCAA make money with the Final Four? I know a lot of money changes hands on hotels and restaurants, but the NCAA doesn't see any of that.
Television and corporate sponsorship, plain and simple.

Actually when they started going to the football domes - the stated objective was to allow more fans of the teams to go, not to make more money.  They have a lot of corporate pukes and media types and what not, that hog a lot of the tickets so the thought was that if they had more seats, they could get more actual fans in and make it more like a real college basketball game atmosphere.  It is becoming increasingly obvious that it made it even less like a real college basketball game atmosphere. 
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Sure, but wouldn't that sponsorship be there anyway, regardless of the venue? If they can make more money for hosting the event in a massive terrible stadium, and people will pay it, then what reason do they have to change?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

bahua wrote: If they can make more money for hosting the event in a massive terrible stadium, and people will pay it, then what reason do they have to change?
Yeah but the difference in revenue is minor in the bigger picture and that increased revenue is comming at the expense of the reputation of the event.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

bahua wrote: Well, to look in the general direction of the action. Only people with excellent vision could actually see it.

that may be so bahua, but, you are missing the point. THEY DO NOT CARE. they want these seats full, and filling 40,000 extra seats for 3 games that cost around a hundred bucks, makes them a shitload of money.

they are in domed stadiums permanently. make no mistake about it.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I can't wait for a Final Four at Arrowhead.  We can nickname it the Trailer Park Championship or the Junkyard Tournament.

Seriously though, are there any other F.F. venues as far from a downtown as Arrowhead?  Mayor Barnes makes the point that we have all the amenities and hotel rooms to host, but almost none are adjacent to the venue.  What good is a Downtown entertainment district when there the tournament is 7 miles away?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote:
that may be so bahua, but, you are missing the point. THEY DO NOT CARE. they want these seats full, and filling 40,000 extra seats for 3 games that cost around a hundred bucks, makes them a shitload of money.

they are in domed stadiums permanently. make no mistake about it.
Way to ignore everything posted ahead of you. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Way to ignore everything posted ahead of you. 
dude, i read it all, and i do not even agree with the ncaa doing this, i was just saying it again, the ncaa really does not care. this is a cash cow for them.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The 2003 Final Four in the Super Dome was packed. It was an awesome experience. I imagine it will sell out here.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

I can't belive they even sell the seats in the red!!
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

KCMax wrote: The 2003 Final Four in the Super Dome was packed. It was an awesome experience. I imagine it will sell out here.
to even think abou selling out..  a Big XII north team would have to make it.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

MidWestSider wrote: to even think abou selling out..  a Big XII north team would have to make it.
indy has sold out this year. i know nola sold out, and it is pretty big. minnesota sold it out.

so, kc, i am sure, could sell out arrowhead.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

At the end of the anthem before each game...

"...and the home-----of the----CHEIFS!!"
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote: dude, i read it all, and i do not even agree with the ncaa doing this, i was just saying it again, the ncaa really does not care. this is a cash cow for them.

Its a few million out of a multi-billion event.  Hardly a cash cow.  Money wasn't even the motive for doing it in the first point. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Its a few million out of a multi-billion event.  Hardly a cash cow.  Money wasn't even the motive for doing it in the first point. 
bullshit. 20-40,000 more tickets at 140 a piece, that is a motive. the ncaa loves money. that is between 3-6m more. and a multi-billion dollar event? well, tv pays a lot for the rights, sure, but, this is a way for the ncaa to make millions more dollars.

and they are doing it, with no end in sight.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote: bullshit. 20-40,000 more tickets at 140 a piece, that is a motive. the ncaa loves money. that is between 3-6m more. and a multi-billion dollar event? well, tv pays a lot for the rights, sure, but, this is a way for the ncaa to make millions more dollars.

and they are doing it, with no end in sight.
reasonable, logical points once again hit the inpenetrable brick wall.  Its like carrying on a debate with the professional spin doctors on political TV shows that just ignore anything inconvenient to their own argument rather than address it - only less talented, and not as well-spoken.