Official: Arrowhead Final Four Speculation

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City

Rolling Roof supporters claim that Kansas City could compete for a Final Four if the roof is approved. What do you think?

Yes
80%
No
16%
I don't participate in polls
4%

Total votes: 49

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Official: Arrowhead Final Four Speculation

Post by kcdcchef »

shinatoo wrote: Come on KCDCBlacknight, where are you?

I guess you just got your head choped off.
hey, a lot of people heard 2013 then an hour later on the next sportscenter heard contender.

either way, we do the roof, we will get the final 4. this seals it.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: hey, a lot of people heard 2013 then an hour later on the next sportscenter heard contender.

either way, we do the roof, we will get the final 4. this seals it.
How does this seal it?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote: we will get the final 4. this seals it.
Sounds about as non-committal as it gets.  "sure we will consider you . . . "
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Kietz just made a good point.

The NCAA requires a "test" run with a regional final before the Final Four.  So, this would mean the Sprint Center would have to give it up.  He was aiming this remark at Barnes, since she was promoting it, which makes it sound a little odd.  Either way it would be a win for the city, but it did sound a little like a kid in a candy shop coming from Barnes' mouth.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Sounds about as non-committal as it gets.  "sure we will consider you . . . "
We'll file your resume, and if anything comes up, we'll let you know.

Don't call us. We'll call you.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Kard wrote: Kietz just made a good point.

The NCAA requires a "test" run with a regional final before the Final Four.  So, this would mean the Sprint Center would have to give it up.  He was aiming this remark at Barnes, since she was promoting it, which makes it sound a little odd.  Either way it would be a win for the city, but it did sound a little like a kid in a candy shop coming from Barnes' mouth.
Is the "test" run for the city or the venue?  Do regional finals always even sell out?  I suspect what you say is true as the the Minneapolis regional this year was played in the Humphrey Metrodome to crowds of around 21,000.  Why else would they do that?    Why would you want to put a relatively small crowd in such a huge place?  

I think it would be great to have the final four in KC but I'd almost rather have a regional final in the Sprint Center because 1) it shows off the new downtown and arena 2) DT and the entertainment district could use the shot in the arm and 3) why vote for the roof on the basis of a psossibility that is not even a sure thing.    
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Its for the venue. Next year the Final Four will be in Atlanta. So this year, instead of housing the regional in the Phillips Arena, the cozy home of the Hawks, they had it in the spacious Georgia Dome. Its to test the facility to make sure they can handle such an event. In Arrowhead's case it will be very important to see whether or not the facility can handle hoops.

The Atlanta crowds were VERY small this year!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

Has anyone put a wooden basketball floor on top of a natural grass surface before?  If not Arrowhead would be a first for something like that.
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

...and can you even do that?

hmmmmm
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

49r wrote: Has anyone put a wooden basketball floor on top of a natural grass surface before?  If not Arrowhead would be a first for something like that.
I think if we put a few 3rd year engineering students to the task we could probably figure it out.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

49r wrote: ...and can you even do that?

hmmmmm
i do not think anyone has ever done it, however, they already said they are going to tear out the turf and the dirt all the way down to the asphalt. remember, not even 1 foot below that grass, it is asphalt.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Really though they're going to have to put in synthetic turf to hosts concerts and conventions on a regular basis, otherwise it will be too expensive to rip out the grass everytime one of these events comes along.

Like I said, they don't have all the details ironed out yet, we'll get to learn all of that after the vote is long over.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

KCMax wrote: Really though they're going to have to put in synthetic turf to hosts concerts and conventions on a regular basis, otherwise it will be too expensive to rip out the grass everytime one of these events comes along.
Don't underestimate the spending power of a billion dollars.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: Really though they're going to have to put in synthetic turf to hosts concerts and conventions on a regular basis, otherwise it will be too expensive to rip out the grass everytime one of these events comes along.

Like I said, they don't have all the details ironed out yet, we'll get to learn all of that after the vote is long over.
Better plan on turf anyhow - it'll be tough to grow grass after that half-baked roof gets permenantly stuck in a half open position. 
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Predictions on the editorial the Star comes up with tomorrow about this?  "Another great development in the stadium debate, we're just floored over the deal we're getting here. Vote YES!"
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

i am at a loss - this entire debacle is a farce and very annoying. 
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
jj116533
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by jj116533 »

believe it or not if the bills pass then KC will be a big time city.  Hosting the Super Bowl, NCAA tourney, All Star Game, and then there will be Schlitterban, and all of Village West, then on top of that there could even be all of downtown (hopefully still booming).  It would really make KC a great place to come, on buisness, or possilby even pleasure.  The three biggest sporting events WOW! Now that I think about it KC could host the NBA All-Star Game too if we get a team in the Sprint Center, and I heard talks about the AFL all star game coming here too.  All together maybe 5 humongous,giganitc, titanic sporting events, and all in the period of about 3-7 years.  HELL YA
Student at NYU studying Metropolitan Studies and Economic Theory.  Real Estate connoisseur.
http://twitter.com/#!/grecobs
CGOCPFTF
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by CGOCPFTF »

jj116533 wrote: believe it or not if the bills pass then KC will be a big time city.
:lol:
jj116533 wrote: It would really make KC a great place to come, on buisness, or possilby even pleasure.
:lol: :lol:
jj116533 wrote: The three biggest sporting events WOW! Now that I think about it KC could host the NBA All-Star Game too if we get a team in the Sprint Center, and I heard talks about the AFL all star game coming here too.  All together maybe 5 humongous,giganitc, titanic sporting events, and all in the period of about 3-7 years.  HELL YA
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow, they brainwashed the hell ot of you.  That got funnier and funnier as I read further through it.
A few one time events will not propel KC into the bigtime. A DT stadium however....
STL, head city in MO.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

They were rambling on the radio this afternoon something about KC competing with NYC for a NCAA tournament. A feather in Kansas Citys hat is that it has hosted more of these than any other city in the country....

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Tosspot wrote: A feather in Kansas Citys hat is that it has hosted more of these than any other city in the country....
I love this statistic.  We've hosted exactly one Final Four since 1965.  Talk about living in the past.