Official: Arrowhead Final Four Speculation

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City

Rolling Roof supporters claim that Kansas City could compete for a Final Four if the roof is approved. What do you think?

Yes
80%
No
16%
I don't participate in polls
4%

Total votes: 49

Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Official: Arrowhead Final Four Speculation

Post by Tosspot »

lock&load wrote: I love this statistic.  We've hosted exactly one Final Four since 1965.  Talk about living in the past.
The radio station, I cant remember which, was playing it up like it was the best thing ever to hit this city.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Better wander down to the "new stadiums" section of the forum - folks have been talking about it non-stop all day.  There is much for you to learn about this final four. 
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I found out long ago that trying to keep up with the New Stadiums section is utterly futile.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

For those who are against the TSC proposals you appear to be really sore about these developments, MLB All-Star Game, Super Bowl, possible NCAA Final Four.  Well, too bad.  These are great events for the area, and especially for downtown.  Is the cost high.  Well, the cost would be very much more if there was a new stadium DT for the Royals and a new stadium for the Chiefs.

With these two issues we are getting like new stadiums with a rolling roof that gives the TSC facility much more flexibility at a cost to a taxpayer the cost of one new stadium ($425M).  Is the interest costs drive it up higher but we would have the same cost escalation building two new stadiums.

Compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges.

By the way, it would be easy to covert the floor to a basketball floor.  The Chiefs usually replace the turf after the season anyway - even part of it a few times during the season.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

THIS JUST IN!

The Republican Party and the Democratic National Convention have both stated that both the K and Arrowhead would have the required capacity to host their national conventions...if the rolling roof is voted in!

The preceeding message has been brought to you by the wildly inaccurate and unfounded rumors department of the city of Kansas City!

w00t!
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

49r wrote: THIS JUST IN!

The Republican Party and the Democratic National Convention have both stated that both the K and Arrowhead would have the required capacity to host their national conventions...if the rolling roof is voted in!

The preceeding message has been brought to you by the wildly inaccurate and unfounded rumors department of the city of Kansas City!

w00t!
Dude, Jesus is making his second coming appearance at the TSC if the roof passes, one up that :)
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

lock&load wrote: I love this statistic.  We've hosted exactly one Final Four since 1965.  Talk about living in the past.
Must have been Walt Bodine talking about it.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
SouthKC1985
Pad site
Pad site

Post by SouthKC1985 »

49r wrote: Has anyone put a wooden basketball floor on top of a natural grass surface before?  If not Arrowhead would be a first for something like that.
I think I saw it once on ESPN. I was flipping through channels and I think there was some women's college game or something at that stadium in Phoenix where the Diamondbacks play. I think they even had the roof open (not exactly sure). Not sure how they put the floor on top of a baseball field but that was a few years ago though
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

SouthKC1985 wrote: I think I saw it once on ESPN. I was flipping through channels and I think there was some women's college game or something at that stadium in Phoenix where the Diamondbacks play. I think they even had the roof open (not exactly sure). Not sure how they put the floor on top of a baseball field but that was a few years ago though
if they can turn a football field into a outdoor hockey rink for a day, then this too is possible.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Caycee
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Caycee »

Really? I heard Municipal hosted 9 FF's.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Caycee wrote: Really? I heard Municipal hosted 9 FF's.
The last one Municipal hosted was in 1964.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Four ... ampionship
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Michigan State played that game at Ford Field to try and break the attendance record but I think they are turf. 

Sooner or latter people will have to realize that playing bball in football stadiums is rediculous. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

the NCAA will never realize it...too much cash.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

KCPowercat wrote: the NCAA will never realize it...too much cash.
See, you are not always wrong.  Sometimes you agree with me.  :P    :lol:

As long as the NCAA has people willing to buy the tickets they will stay in the stadiums.  To move back into the arenas would be like all new baseball stadiums seat no more that 25,000 and football stadiums no more than 45,000 to 50,000.  It may not make great viewing but with the video scoreboards and all plus the atmosphere many would rather be in a stadium than at home watching it on TV.
It may be ridiculous but so is being in a 22,000 seat arena watching a basketball game in the last row of the upper level.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

well, sometimes you are right :)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: See, you are not always wrong.  Sometimes you agree with me.   :P    :lol:

As long as the NCAA has people willing to buy the tickets they will stay in the stadiums.  To move back into the arenas would be like all new baseball stadiums seat no more that 25,000 and football stadiums no more than 45,000 to 50,000.  It may not make great viewing but with the video scoreboards and all plus the atmosphere many would rather be in a stadium than at home watching it on TV.
It may be ridiculous but so is being in a 22,000 seat arena watching a basketball game in the last row of the upper level.
Supposedly there has been a tremendous amount of fan disatisfaction and complaints with some of these recent venues.  If you shell out thousands for a prime front and center seat and still can't see for shit due to the crappy angle - you probably are going to have a word or two for the NCAA.  Its not just the distance from the court - the seating angles in football stadiums are not suitable for bball.  Yes there is a lot of money to be made, but I don't think the NCAA will want the Final Four to continue developing a reputation as the major sporting event where the fan is gauranteed a shitty experience. 
Quay Girl
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Quay Girl »

Forgive me in advance for not knowing more about the new arena, but why on earth are they talking about having the Final Four at Arrowhead and bringing in a temporary floor for the game? Aren't we building an arena downtown? What is the arena meant to be used for, if not this exact type of event?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

But those same people still buy the tickets.  And if not them, others wait in line.  It might change.  In 10 years?  15 years?  20 years?  35 years.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Sprint Arena, and all other similiar size arenas are too small for the Final Four.  Simple as that.  Final Fours are now held in stadiums.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Yeah. They want to pack in 80K people for the same price, and a worse view/experience. It makes sense for the ticket-sellers, but we fell for it.