Questions Fail - Downtown Baseball?

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City

If the Apr 4 ballot questions fail, and another question, for a downtown ballpark emerges, how would you vote?

Yes - build it!
60%
No - screw it!
40%

Total votes: 65

kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Questions Fail - Downtown Baseball?

Post by kard »

warwickland wrote: here is a snippit from denvers version of the pitch ( i know, just thought i'd share a denver viewpoint)

"Another development that greatly affected the city was the group of decisions that placed the Broncos stadium, Coors Field and the Pepsi Center all in the Central Platte Valley. "Because of where they're located," he says, "it's been a tremendous argument for building out the light-rail system, because you have to get all the people out from the suburbs into the city for the games." As opposed to, say, Kansas City, where all the stadiums are located in the outer rings of the suburbs, this concentration "helped keep the core of the Denver region vital, where in other cities the core needs all the help it can get."

http://www.westword.com/Issues/2005-01- ... ture2.html

this article echos my viewpoint that the connection between a downtown stadium and a subsequent exposure to a much larger swath of suburbanites, and downtown vitality is not even a question.
Hey--it's been said over and over again on this board--KC doesn't listen to views of outsiders!  Even if they're just across the street in Kansas!  Don't post that trash here!  ;)
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

heres  a viewpoint from cleveland... :o

"Probably one of the more telling parts of our conversation grew out of a comparison of the sports stadiums in each city. I told him how I didn't like the design of Arrowhead, in that it was surrounded by a sea of parking. I told him I preferred Jacobs Field and Gund Arena here, because they are sandwiched between an urban neighborhood and downtown. When he asked me why I liked what we have, I told him because you could visit a restaurant, sports bar or nightclub, or just walk the neighborhood streets, before or after the game. He immediately responded "well, they don't do that in Kansas City. After the game, everyone just heads for home."

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/http:// ... 289#p35289
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

warwickland wrote: heres  a viewpoint from cleveland... :o

"Probably one of the more telling parts of our conversation grew out of a comparison of the sports stadiums in each city. I told him how I didn't like the design of Arrowhead, in that it was surrounded by a sea of parking. I told him I preferred Jacobs Field and Gund Arena here, because they are sandwiched between an urban neighborhood and downtown. When he asked me why I liked what we have, I told him because you could visit a restaurant, sports bar or nightclub, or just walk the neighborhood streets, before or after the game. He immediately responded "well, they don't do that in Kansas City. After the game, everyone just heads for home."

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/http:// ... 289#p35289
they fucken go home in cleveland too. i went to indians games last year, and the traffic jam to get back to new york was over 30 minutes, every one was in their cars, headed home.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

at least they have a choice.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: they fucken go home in cleveland too. i went to indians games last year, and the traffic jam to get back to new york was over 30 minutes, every one was in their cars, headed home.
So no one hung around?  Of course most people are going to leave, but if only 10% stay, that is a lot of activity.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: So no one hung around?  Of course most people are going to leave, but if only 10% stay, that is a lot of activity.
did 10% stay? well, i am not sure, but if i had to guess, less then that. 10% would have been 2,500, no way. on the way through the gateway district to our car, most restaurants were closed in the malls and what not, so, it is hard to say, but, what i do know, is every car in the parking garage we were in was getting filled and leaving.

here in pitt, everyone walks across the 7th street bridge, right into the cbd parking garages, and bails.

the true sports fans go have a beer somewhere in any city, and you know what dude? they go do that in kc to. they just have to drive 8 miles to grab a cold one.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Numbers are easy to pull out of one's posterior.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Of course rather than address the issue, chef dwells upon the 10% number.  It's just a ballpark man, don't take everything so literally.  Again, I haven't been to Cleveland, so I don't know.  I have been to ballparks in urban areas, where it works.  You want to continue to focus on those that don't, fine.  That doesn't me if we tried it here it wouldn't work.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

I'm for DT baseball.. in fact, i'm for DT.  I recently reserved a loft DT, and unlike you (who doesn't even live here) I think DT baseball will help tremendously with DT's rebirth.

This really is not a sports issue, this is about a quality of life, economic benefit issue.  This is also about the baseball stadium being within walking distance to the Financial District, therefore allowing our larger employers downtown to accomodate their visitors.. Also, this is about being 25 min. closer to JoCo... therefore, JoCo can help generate tax dollars for DT.

It all makes clear sense to me.. in fact, it makes so much sense, JACO of course would'nt understand it.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

skim82 wrote:
JACO of course would'nt understand it.
This is the kind of crap I read on this forum and hear on the radio that makes me just want to vote yes.

Jackson County is a VERY diverse county and people have their reasons for voting yes or no.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

skim82 wrote: JACO of course would'nt understand it.
I'll just sit back and laugh at the irony of that statement.  :lol:
KC is the way to be!
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

GRID wrote: This is the kind of crap I read on this forum and hear on the radio that makes me just want to vote yes.

Jackson County is a VERY diverse county and people have their reasons for voting yes or no.
Well then, vote yes...

I can't imagine you REALLY think that this is the best deal for YOU.. 

However, i don't have a vote yet, but i soon will when i move DT.  So, this isn't a "he's a joco guy so he hates KCMO" thing.  I have a tremendous amount of pride for KC, and i truly do think that JaCo has a responsibilty to do the best for its citizens (tax base) ... i don't think this is a good deal for taxpayers. 

I hope being critical about Jackson County's gov. won't affect your vote... it's not a dis... its a realistic opinion i have about JaCo, they need to be held accountable for their actions.  There is a huge credibility factor here. 
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

AllThingsKC wrote: I'll just sit back and laugh at the irony of that statement.  :lol:
wouldn't

at least i hold myself accountable for my actions. 
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

skim82 wrote:
wouldn't

at least i hold myself accountable for my actions. 
Ok...and I don't?
KC is the way to be!
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

i was referring to the leaders in Jackson County
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

skim82 wrote: i was referring to the leaders in Jackson County
Ok...that was what was throwing me off.  I would have to agree with you.  But, I still question the Jackson County voters, who elected (and re-elected) that bad leadership in the first place.
KC is the way to be!
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

AllThingsKC wrote: Ok...that was what was throwing me off.   I would have to agree with you.  But, I still question the Jackson County voters, who elected (and re-elected) that bad leadership in the first place.
Yet you want to pony up another $1 billion to reward that bad leadership?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

lock&load wrote: Yet you want to pony up another $1 billion to reward that bad leadership?
No.  I want to pony up $1billion to keep the teams in KC, and get a Super Bowl, All Star Game, Final Four, and the Second Coming of Christ!  Those 4 events combined will bring more than $1b to the county.  I always knew Jesus loved KC.  :lol:
KC is the way to be!
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

AllThingsKC wrote: No.  I want to pony up $1billion to keep the teams in KC, and get a Super Bowl, All Star Game, Final Four, and the Second Coming of Christ!  Those 4 events combined will bring more than $1b to the county.  I always knew Jesus loved KC.   :lol:
What is the estimated windfall from the Second Coming?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

lock&load wrote: What is the estimated windfall from the Second Coming?
Well, what we're going to have to do is fill up both stadiums, so that's what...120,000?  And since no one knows the day or the hour, we'll keep those people there for a big "wait party."  The people who are there will be spending money there everyday.  And, if the Lord comes back in the year 3006, those people will be spending money for one thousand years.  I think that alone would cover the $1b.  So, there you have it: Common sense on why to vote yes!
KC is the way to be!