Why don't you go to more Royals games?

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Why don't you go to more Royals games?

Post by StL_Dan »

kcdcchef wrote: going to any games in any cities they gouge your for parking. how about $40 for parking in the sea of parking lots in the meadowlands??
Not in StL.  I, along with thousands of others, park for free on city streets and enjoy the walk through downtown to the stadium.

We make it a fun walk by taking in the pagentry, taking photos with the skyline as the backdrop and buying a program or something.  Plus, it's a great way to actually discover more of the city's less traveled streets by choosing a new spot to park and walking a different route to Busch.

I know it sounds a trifle simplistic and unimportant, but, it's just one more thing the average, big parking lot, little-to-no perimeter parking KC Royals fan can comprehend.

I've actually parked at Adam's Mark and on the grass outside of the Graveyard many many times to avoid the cost of parking fees.  There is absolutely no excitement or fun to be found traversing Stadium Blvd or crossing the G Brett Bridge en route to Kauffman.

Baseball in a downtown stadium is so much better than any alternative for many reasons, even the seemingly insignificant.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

That's the point chef. At TSC you HAVE to park. With a downtown stadium you wouldn't have to park because you wouldn't need to drive.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: That's the point chef. At TSC you HAVE to park. With a downtown stadium you wouldn't have to park because you wouldn't need to drive.

for some. every downtown game i go to in other cities, there are tens of thousands driving in. you think that the 5,000 or so downtown residents are gonig to be the only ones going to these games? please.

you ever been to other downtown stadiums? if so, then you have to have seen the cars there too. i got tied up in a horrid traffic jam with everyone fighting to get out of the jacobs field parking garages.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCMax wrote: That's the point chef. At TSC you HAVE to park. With a downtown stadium you wouldn't have to park because you wouldn't need to drive.
Ummmm, I would. And so would 80% of the people who live in Jackson County. No evening busses to Raytown, Sugar Creek, Blue Springs, Lee's Summit, Grandview, Oak Grove, Lone Jack or Greenwood.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

No, but there will certainly be more people not driving than there are now.

And yes, I have driven to downtown stadiums in St. Louis and Baltimore and never had more or less of a hassle getting out than I have at the TSC.

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

shinatoo wrote: Ummmm, I would. And so would 80% of the people who live in Jackson County. No evening busses to Raytown, Sugar Creek, Blue Springs, Lee's Summit, Grandview, Oak Grove, Lone Jack or Greenwood.
thank you.
KCMax wrote: No, but there will certainly be more people not driving than there are now.

And yes, I have driven to downtown stadiums in St. Louis and Baltimore and never had more or less of a hassle getting out than I have at the TSC.
really? i guess if we get a dt stadium kc will give up its addiction to cars overnight.

when i have driven to the other dt stadiums, same thing max, no more, no less. i was not saying it was more of a hassle, i was saying it is the same.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

really? i guess if we get a dt stadium kc will give up its addiction to cars overnight.

Where did I say that? All I'm saying is with a downtown stadium there will be some people that will not drive to the game because they live downtown. There is no one that lives within walking distance of the TSC.

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCMax wrote: really? i guess if we get a dt stadium kc will give up its addiction to cars overnight.

Where did I say that? All I'm saying is with a downtown stadium there will be some people that will not drive to the game because they live downtown. There is no one that lives within walking distance of the TSC.
That is not what you said.

This is what you said.
At TSC you HAVE to park. With a downtown stadium you wouldn't have to park because you wouldn't need to drive.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

KCMax wrote: really? i guess if we get a dt stadium kc will give up its addiction to cars overnight.

Exactly. Also, a downtown location will provide multiple options for parking, and not just the trap method. People could skirt the whole parking fee thing too.

They could drive in from Shawnee, park on the Plaza, get lunch, and catch the MAX to the ballpark.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

StL_Dan wrote: Not in StL.   I, along with thousands of others, park for free on city streets and enjoy the walk through downtown to the stadium.

We make it a fun walk by taking in the pagentry, taking photos with the skyline as the backdrop and buying a program or something.   Plus, it's a great way to actually discover more of the city's less traveled streets by choosing a new spot to park and walking a different route to Busch.

I know it sounds a trifle simplistic and unimportant, but, it's just one more thing the average, big parking lot, little-to-no perimeter parking KC Royals fan can comprehend.

I've actually parked at Adam's Mark and on the grass outside of the Graveyard many many times to avoid the cost of parking fees.  There is absolutely no excitement or fun to be found traversing Stadium Blvd or crossing the G Brett Bridge en route to Kauffman.

Baseball in a downtown stadium is so much better than any alternative for many reasons, even the seemingly insignificant.
parking.  god, it should be this town's logo.

Dan, KC people have no idea how to "park on city streets and walk".  They illustrate this at every auto show and well, damn, not too many other events going on downtown  :(.

And they will do it with the Sprint Center.  I'm telling you, KC people are going to FREAK OUT on parking with the new arena, while I park for free and walk or take a bus.

BTW, you might stay away from Busch, you don't want a bad case of cancer do you?
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

GRID wrote: Dan, KC people have no idea how to "park on city streets and walk".  They illustrate this at every auto show and well, damn, not too many other events going on downtown  :(.
Don't mean to run off topic, but almost every Friday and Saturday, the streets are clogged with traffic, because of downtown events. This year, the auto show was just another one of them.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

GRID wrote: parking.  god, it should be this town's logo.
And they will do it with the Sprint Center.  I'm telling you, KC people are going to FREAK OUT on parking with the new arena, while I park for free and walk or take a bus.[/quote]

LOL...so true. 

GRID wrote:BTW, you might stay away from Busch, you don't want a bad case of cancer do you?
:(  I guess I'm out of the loop in this regard.  What is the latest?  Why is the new Busch such a cancer risk?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I'll admit that the poor attendance is one reason I don't go more.  It's not as much fun to be one of 5,000 fans as it is to be one of 40,000. 

Another is reason is that I feel that ancillary costs are getting incrementally out of hand.  The ticket prices alone are reasonable, the high costs for parking, beer, food, pop, etc. add up very quickly.  What other business can get away with raising prices as the quality of their product goes down?

The Royals Express is too unreliable.  The ATA is misisng a great marketing opportunity by not providing a better service.
Wallace T Hardcopy
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Wallace T Hardcopy »

StL_Dan wrote: :(  I guess I'm out of the loop in this regard.  What is the latest?   Why is the new Busch such a cancer risk?
http://www.saveourowners.com/blog/2006/ ... se-cancer/
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

bahua wrote: Don't mean to run off topic, but almost every Friday and Saturday, the streets are clogged with traffic, because of downtown events. This year, the auto show was just another one of them.
"clogged with traffic"?

I have only seen Downtown KC clogged maybe once or twice.  Both times were when it snowed during or before the evening rush hour.  KC actually looked like a real city for a couple of hours.

Sure, 20th gets jammed up during first fridays a bit, Broadway/Wyandotte/12th gets busy often too when events are going on in the convention center area.

By far and large, the streets of KC are NEVER "clogged" though.

Half of downtown's streets are closed, Grand does not even go through, nothing crosses 670 and Oak is now down to one lane each way east of the Sprint Center.  Broadway is about it and it usually has cars parked on it south of 670 making it a two lane road.

We even had a St Pat Parade during business hours and it did not do much except the JoCo crowd gettin off I-35 and trying to go south on Pennway and east on Pershing kept things backed up all day on the Pennway Viaduct.

KC has NO urban traffic at all compared to other towns.  NONE.

One reason is the freeways, everybody is one or two blocks from a freeway entrance.

The other is our relatively small downtown workforce and residential population using infrastructure that could handle four times the people.

Off topic, sorry.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

^ Yeah, it's relatively wide open.  Just a few mildly congested spots like Broadway heading toward the bridge or the JO lane on Southwest Blvd. heading to I-35. 
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Then I must be seeing things. There is "KCGridlock" almost every weekend, on the west side of downtown. It happens so much, I don't really even notice it anymore.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

W T, would you mind copying the entirity of the blog contents referenced, here?  My firewall at work does permit access to your link.

Thanks.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Study: Downtown Ballparks Cause Cancer
by Wallace T. Hardcopy

ATLANTA, GA - In a study released by a blue-ribbon fact-finding commission, composed of some of the finest minds in medical science, it has been revealed that baseball stadiums in or near downtown areas are an active carcinogen.

“This is undeniably true, we’re afraid,â€
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

As to the clogging of DT streets--  it's all on the western half of DT.  Broadway has been clogged pretty much all winter.  I was DT a lot of Saturday and it was crazy on the west side.  The streets were pretty full even to the Library.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator