April 4th Ballot Questions: Panel Discussion Hosted By KMBZ, Thursday March 30

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

April 4th Ballot Questions: Panel Discussion Hosted By KMBZ, Thursday March 30

Post by kard »

They've said on air that both sides will be represented, the Yes side by Glorioso...not sure on the No side, but I would guess Craig Davis would be invited.

http://www.kmbz.com/listingsEntry.asp?ID=421522

[edit] Note:  Agar is not hosting the discussion.  A member of KMBZ's news team is doing it...I didn't catch the name of who it is.  But it is not a talk show host.

Can Kansas City afford it? Will the teams leave? What's the economic impact? Join NewsRadio 980 KMBZ for a Town Hall Forum discussing both sides of the most important important ballot issue to face Kansas City voters in years. Join us next Thursday and be an informed voter.

Kansas City Public Library - Helzberg Room Downtown Kansas City
Thursday, March 30, 2006

4-7pm Jerry Agar Broadcasts Live
7-8pm Town Hall Forum

Image  Image
Last edited by kard on Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: April 4th Ballot Questions: Panel Discussion Hosted By KMBZ, Thursday March 30

Post by lock+load »

Agar is on the No side.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: April 4th Ballot Questions: Panel Discussion Hosted By KMBZ, Thursday March 30

Post by kcdcchef »

i like this, put the hired gun of the yes side out there with the loudest voices on the no side, that is how you win votes yes or no, open discussion forums.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: April 4th Ballot Questions: Panel Discussion Hosted By KMBZ, Thursday March

Post by kard »

While I guess Agar is broadcasting his show from there, and will be at the event, he is not hosting it.  I didn't catch who is, but it's one of their News people, not a talk show host.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I think this is a bad idea for the Yes side. Their arguments haven't had anything to do with reason, just emotion and FUD. You can't have a townhall discussion with scare tactics and deception.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

bahua wrote: I think this is a bad idea for the Yes side. Their arguments haven't had anything to do with reason, just emotion and FUD. You can't have a townhall discussion with scare tactics and deception.
why not? the republicans do it every four years!!!

if the yes side has no reason behind it bahua, one would deduct that their glowing list of endorsements would not include as many important people in the metro.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

kcdcchef wrote: if the yes side has no reason behind it bahua, one would deduct that their glowing list of endorsements would not include as many important people in the metro.
Bribery is a powerful tool, especially when combined with appeals to emotion, fear, uncertainty, and doubt.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

kcdcchef wrote: why not? the republicans do it every four years!!!

if the yes side has no reason behind it bahua, one would deduct that their glowing list of endorsements would not include as many important people in the metro.
Chef, their list of endorsements reads like a lottery-winner's list.  They're all people who would benefit with pay-outs from the tax (which, of course, is why they endorse it).  If I got something out of this deal, I'd slap my name up there, too.

(Not to say I don't get something--I would be able to hopefully attend games in the future--but I'm talking about immediate financial gain).
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Kard wrote: Chef, their list of endorsements reads like a lottery-winner's list.  They're all people who would benefit with pay-outs from the tax (which, of course, is why they endorse it).  If I got something out of this deal, I'd slap my name up there, too.

(Not to say I don't get something--I would be able to hopefully attend games in the future--but I'm talking about immediate financial gain).
yeah, the mayor is getting a pay out
yeah, city council is getting a pay out
yeah, the county is getting a pay out

if this was all about pay outs, then, why would the city and the mayor, who, would benefit more from them moving downtown, not fight it?

if this was all about pay outs, then, why would the dtc not fight it and not endorse?

if this was all about pay outs, then, why is a huge baseball ambassador who is already well off like buck o'neill behind it?

save it. there are no pay outs minus those who are getting paid by glorioso, but, even those, like the star for example, are allowed to report on whichever angle they would like, and, if you have not noticed, they do.

i guess independence, grandview, and blue springs city councils all got payouts to endorse?

i guess every hotel in the city that is behind this, including downtown, plaza, and crown center ones, got paid??

i suppose all of the restaurants that are behind this, got paid?? even the ones on the plaza and the forums beloved flea market?
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

kcdcchef wrote: yeah, the mayor is getting a pay out

if this was all about pay outs, then, why would the city and the mayor, who, would benefit more from them moving downtown, not fight it?

if this was all about pay outs, then, why would the dtc not fight it and not endorse?

if this was all about pay outs, then, why is a huge baseball ambassador who is already well off like buck o'neill behind it?

save it. there are no pay outs minus those who are getting paid by glorioso, but, even those, like the star for example, are allowed to report on whichever angle they would like, and, if you have not noticed, they do.

i guess independence, grandview, and blue springs city councils all got payouts to endorse?

i guess every hotel in the city that is behind this, including downtown, plaza, and crown center ones, got paid??

i suppose all of the restaurants that are behind this, got paid?? even the ones on the plaza and the forums beloved flea market?
You can make a lot of promises with a billion dollars.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

bahua wrote: You can make a lot of promises with a billion dollars.
guess you can make a lot with 170m and 450m too.

and people that are not involved in it can make meaningless accusations.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

You think I meant bribes?  I did not.  But that's a good point.  I wonder what's happening there.

All the labor groups are for it because they'll get huge contracts.  All the Chambers of Commerce are for it because they represent business interests who would get to sell stuff (in theory) to them.  That's what I meant.  These groups (unions, trades) make up over half the list.

This isn't a charity drive or a WPA project.
kcdcchef wrote: yeah, the mayor is getting a pay out

i guess independence, grandview, and blue springs city councils all got payouts to endorse?  None of these bodies are on the SOS endorsements list.  I think you mean Chamber of Commerce, which is quite different.  They represent business interests, not citizens (a business is not a citizen, it is a company.  although they are often owned and run by citizens who may or may not live there.).

Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Kard wrote: You think I meant bribes?  I did not.  But that's a good point.  I wonder what's happening there.

All the labor groups are for it because they'll get huge contracts.  All the Chambers of Commerce are for it because they represent business interests who would get to sell stuff (in theory) to them.  That's what I meant.  These groups (unions, trades) make up over half the list.

This isn't a charity drive or a WPA project.

kard

they will get the contracts either way. it passes now, or in a year, or 2 years. at the raceway, or downtown, or the tsc. either way, they are getting contracts. that, is the unions.

now, how about the kansas city restaurant and hotel association? i do not see them on endorsements, however, almost every hotel and restaurant in the city is sporting one of those signs, pretty amazing, that they are all in support would you not agree? hyatt, westin, what are they getting out of it passing? they are supporting.

weak arguments, guys. weak. amazing how the bitterness is really eating at you guys, especially over a campaign we have no idea if it will even pass or not, most signs point to no.

either way, the teams stay at the tsc. i am happhy.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote: they will get the contracts either way. it passes now, or in a year, or 2 years. at the raceway, or downtown, or the tsc. either way, they are getting contracts. that, is the unions.
And likewise they would support any damn ballot measure too.  In the case of the Unions and the heavy constructors, they would endorse a ballot to build a billion dollar cement widget if it had a chance. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: And likewise they would support any damn ballot measure too.  In the case of the Unions and the heavy constructors, they would endorse a ballot to build a billion dollar cement widget if it had a chance. 
i am still eagerly awaiting someone to educate me as to why all these chambers of commerce from neighboring cities are supporting, and why the restaurants and hotels are supporting, i mean, what kickbacks are they getting??
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

kcdcchef wrote: i am still eagerly awaiting someone to educate me as to why all these chambers of commerce from neighboring cities are supporting, and why the restaurants and hotels are supporting, i mean, what kickbacks are they getting??
I never said they were getting kick backs.

I'm saying I discount any value their endorsement may have based on the financial gain they would get because of the construction, sales, etc.  They're in it for the money.  This isn't a charity drive.

Now, if some groups who are a little more neutral, with no financial gain, says this is a good thing, then I might value their opinion a little more.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Kard wrote: I never said they were getting kick backs.

I'm saying I discount any value their endorsement may have based on the financial gain they would get because of the construction, sales, etc.  They're in it for the money.  This isn't a charity drive.

Now, if some groups who are a little more neutral, with no financial gain, says this is a good thing, then I might value their opinion a little more.
still, that endorsement list is FAR greater then just unions. yes, there are an assload of unions on there, but, lets be real, that list is huge.

and go beyond that list, there are restaurants, hotels, and businesses along with private home owners all over the region with vote yes signs. none of them are getting bribed.

and the mayor and city council AND dtc, why would they endorse it? what financial gain is in it for them?  none.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

kcdcchef wrote: still, that endorsement list is FAR greater then just unions. yes, there are an assload of unions on there, but, lets be real, that list is huge.

and go beyond that list, there are restaurants, hotels, and businesses along with private home owners all over the region with vote yes signs. none of them are getting bribed.

and the mayor and city council AND dtc, why would they endorse it? what financial gain is in it for them?  none.
I agree with you on the restaurants and hotels--it makes sense for them to support it.  I assume--maybe you can answer this--that this sales tax would be added on to their bill?  I know there's a seperate hotel tax, but isn't it put on top of the base sales tax?  At any rate, yeah, keeping the teams is a total benefit for the hotels here, and we need hotels if we're to ever have larger events, so I'm all for that.  BUT, I still don't think we're to the point of the Metro loosing the teams...I'm just not buying that one.

I honestly don't understand Barns' support for this.  I can't figure it out.  It doesn't match the support for DT she's had in the past.  I really think it's just politics.  If DT is her baby then she should, I would think, be at least saying "Hey, can we even talk about a DT park?"  Same with the Downtown Council...I think there are some political favors going on there.  Not direct money (this is traceable), but you have to admit that it really doesn't make any sense--with what we know publically--as to why the Downtown Council would support this based on their stance in the past.  I don't travel in those circles--I'm just a poor kid--so I don't have any proof at all, but it just seems strange.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Kard wrote:

I honestly don't understand Barns' support for this.  I can't figure it out.  It doesn't match the support for DT she's had in the past.  I really think it's just politics.  If DT is her baby then she should, I would think, be at least saying "Hey, can we even talk about a DT park?"  

mkb is a realist. she is not some dreamer on a forum or an 810 radio show. she knows what the rest of the sports community grasps......those are 2 marvelous facilities, and there is no need to trash them based solely on location. they are not in a bad location persay, they are just not downtown where they should have gotten built. if either of those stadiums were built downtown, where, they should have been built, we would never be having these discussions. mayor barnes along with the city council, and the dtc, get behind this because it is unrealistic to support tearing down 1 or 2 stadiums that are still regarded as very nice stadiums.

Kard wrote: I agree with you on the restaurants and hotels--it makes sense for them to support it.  I assume--maybe you can answer this--that this sales tax would be added on to their bill?  I know there's a seperate hotel tax, but isn't it put on top of the base sales tax?  At any rate, yeah, keeping the teams is a total benefit for the hotels here, and we need hotels if we're to ever have larger events, so I'm all for that.  BUT, I still don't think we're to the point of the Metro loosing the teams...I'm just not buying that one.

exactly. glad you can admit the truth, a lot of your colleagues can not do that. the royals, and chiefs, are good for their business, hotels and restaurants in the city. the proof, that sports teams are good for the local economy, is right there. you have the hyatt, westin, marriott, hilton, all major brands, some in kc are corporate, some are franchise, supporting this along with all the other hotels in town and the restaurants. because it is good for their business, which, in turn, proves that sports teams are good for the economy. you lose 1 or both teams, how are all these hotels and restaurants going to make up for the lost revenue? people stay as far south as the plaza and as far north as the airport to see our teams. it is good for their business.

yes, it inflates the sales tax that their patrons pay on top of the hotel tax, but, kc is not the highest in the country. not even close.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

kcdcchef wrote:
mkb is a realist. she is not some dreamer on a forum or an 810 radio show. she knows what the rest of the sports community grasps......those are 2 marvelous facilities, and there is no need to trash them based solely on location. they are not in a bad location persay, they are just not downtown where they should have gotten built. if either of those stadiums were built downtown, where, they should have been built, we would never be having these discussions. mayor barnes along with the city council, and the dtc, get behind this because it is unrealistic to support tearing down 1 or 2 stadiums that are still regarded as very nice stadiums.

exactly. glad you can admit the truth, a lot of your colleagues can not do that. the royals, and chiefs, are good for their business, hotels and restaurants in the city. the proof, that sports teams are good for the local economy, is right there. you have the hyatt, westin, marriott, hilton, all major brands, some in kc are corporate, some are franchise, supporting this along with all the other hotels in town and the restaurants. because it is good for their business, which, in turn, proves that sports teams are good for the economy. you lose 1 or both teams, how are all these hotels and restaurants going to make up for the lost revenue? people stay as far south as the plaza and as far north as the airport to see our teams. it is good for their business.

yes, it inflates the sales tax that their patrons pay on top of the hotel tax, but, kc is not the highest in the country. not even close.
Shut up already, your posts in this thread are so full of shit it must be coming out of your ears. I've never heard so much inane blabbering about nothing. Look D**S*** this is POLITICS. Barnes MUST bow down to the Democratic leadership and the other old skool County players THAT ARE GETTING PAID or she will have no job in her future. That's the only thing this is about. As far as the DTC these dopes have no spine, no plan and no money.

You have ZERO validity, you have looked reality in the face by hearing every argument about how baseball downtown would spur billions in development and make light rail a reality yet you continue to talk the same dumb S*** over and over. I'm sick of it, you're wrong. You're just like the DipS*** in Blue Springs that hate downtown and think Kaufman is great. It's a freaking joke. Nope, no more stupid chefisms or airtime for your dumb attempts to validate Kaufman's renovation without getting my size 12's up your arse. Go post your 3rd grade cliches on [url=http://www.kcroyalssuckeveryyearwelovewalkingina3milelongsurfacelot&eatingtacobellafteragame.com]www.kcroyalssuckeveryyearwelovewalkingina3milelongsurfacelot&eatingtacobellafteragame.com[/url] where they will listen.

Nobody in their right mind would want to spend half of what a new stadium would cost downtown JUST to have what we had in 1970. WTF are you thinking?