Kauffman Stadium's latest plan, an amphitheater/pavilion...

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I know there is a 9 page thread about this, well there are 9 pages of crap really, so I started a new thread.

Try to keep it civilized.

Here is a site plan of the "pavilion"  I still don't understand what it's for and I still don't know what to think about it or know if I support it or not.  Hopefully the Star will have more detailed info in tomorrow.

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Kauffman Stadium's latest plan, an amphitheater/pavilion...

Post by GRID »

Another site plan.  This one show the "tent" structure.  The one thing that pops into my head right off is this will really destroy the view of Kauffman from the interstate.

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

On a positive note. I think the fountain seating will be awesome and if this passes, that is where I will be for the home run derby. :)
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

i do not understand why kietz and everyone is in an uproar over this. it is just giving the royals what the chiefs have, a pavilion out side of the stadium. what is the big deal? the chiefs are upgrading their pavilion in the renovations too, so, what is the issue??
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Great idea in a poor location.

The reason people object to this is we're being asked to renovate the stadiums to keep our sports teams and this has nothing to do with sports.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

-"Offer an area for business events before and after games"
I don't know how 9,500 stadium style seats like an amphitheatre is going to be condusive to business functions, which usually take place in smaller tents on flat surfaces with tables set up for eating. Is this thing going to be a giant convention theatre or something? This really makes no sense.

"Allow over flow seating for events such as the All-Star game"
Umm, isnt the walk of fame, and the 200 foot tall crown scoreboards going to be in the way? How the hell would you see the game from this thing?

This whole deal has been the most secretive, unorganized clusterfuck ever. I'm looking forward to taking Amtrak a few hours east this summer to see a real ballpark.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

have fun burton. i myself am looking forward to flying 2 hours to seeing many games in kauffman this summer.

of course, i also have great american ballpark, oriole park, rogers centre, rfk, jacobs, coamerica, pnc, and yankee on my radar.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

kcdcchef wrote: of course, i also have great american ballpark, oriole park, rogers centre, rfk, jacobs, coamerica, pnc, and yankee on my radar.
:shock: I'm jealous. What about Citizen's Bank? I'm also VERY jealous that you have my favorite park there in Pittsburgh.
I'm glad that you're going to Toronto, maybe you'll change your mind about that being a good baseball park.  :wink:

Back to the amphitheatre, I'd really like to see some elevations or perspectives of this thing to see the scale of the tent thing, and just how cheesy its going to look behind the scoreboards.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Burton wrote: :shock: I'm jealous. What about Citizen's Bank? I'm also VERY jealous that you have my favorite park there in Pittsburgh.
I'm glad that you're going to Toronto, maybe you'll change your mind about that being a good baseball park.  :wink:

Back to the amphitheatre, I'd really like to see some elevations or perspectives of this thing to see the scale of the tent thing, and just how cheesy its going to look behind the scoreboards.
i actually like rogers centre more since they put in the new scoreboards and jumbo trons. and the new turf is nice too.

not sure if i will get citzens in, i meant to last year and did not, i snuck it in in 04, it is nice.

pnc, your fave? it is nice, but, when you compare pnc to 3 rivers, well, there is NO comparison.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

So, according to this Star article, the following are the minimum renovations required to be completed by the teams.

...spell out the minimum projects that must be done at the stadiums.

Those minimum projects include adding 100 concession registers, 230 toilets for women and 200 for men, a new sound system and new press facilities at Arrowhead. At Kauffman, the mandatory projects include 1,500 new outfield seats, doubling the concession registers and toilets and renovating the press box.

So, we could conceivably end up spending a total of $425 million dollars on just the most basic of renovations.  It looks like the promise to cover cost overruns is a hollow one at best.  If the taxpayer money dries up, they'll just eliminate planned improvements.  This crap is why this plan sucks.
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

This seems like and odd trade-off.

You are giving up some of the views you have now of I-70 and the Adam's Mark for views of *more* empty seats.

Dunno, seems questionable.
TheNorthlander
New York Life
New York Life

Post by TheNorthlander »

Regarding the mininum improvements - I personally don't see why it is so important to add more men's bathrooms.  I have NEVER had to wait to do my business, and I had season tickets when the attendance wasn't pathetic.  I didn't have to wait even on opening days.

Maybe I don't drink enough beer to see the need.
"Keep the Status-Quo! Yes on 1, No on 2!" - Jackson County Voters
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

TheNorthlander wrote: Regarding the mininum improvements - I personally don't see why it is so important to add more men's bathrooms.  I have NEVER had to wait to do my business, and I had season tickets when the attendance wasn't pathetic.  I didn't have to wait even on opening days.

Maybe I don't drink enough beer to see the need.
It'd be nice to get something better than the giant trough though :)
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

The amphitheater made me consider my position yesterday afternoon. If it was used like Sandstoned it would put 20 to 30 more events into that area and probably push the scales for development around there with 120-140 lit nights a year. It would also be a good revenue generator for the Royals who really need everything they can get to compete.

BUT! It's half the size of Sandstoned so it really would be more a competition to Starlit which I don't want to happen. And two, it should be built as part of a multiuse amphitheater between the two stadiums. And all of the revenue should go back to county.

If you want my yes vote, ask for less money or come up more ideas like this one.

Cost on this puppy was estimated at 30 million, 25k seating for soccer. If you want to see a ridicules stadium fight google Roanoke Victory Stadium.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Barnes was quoted in the paper saying the ampitheater/pavilion would ONLY be used on game days.  So if that is true (and you never know with this stuff), it would provide no additional nights of activity in the area.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

David Glass said the same yesterday. I think thats retarded if true. Not getting the true bang for the taxpayer buck.

bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I think it's a great idea, but they can't pay for it with renovation money. That isn't renovation. It's expansion.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

A radio caller said it best yesterday - this is like the Royals throwing in the towel - "hey KC, since we can't field a baseball product you will enjoy, come out to see a concert instead . . . "
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

A caller yesterday had the best analogy I can think of - the Royals offering the All-Star Game to renovate their stadium is like the couple who is on the verge of divorce having a baby to save their marriage.

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

bahua wrote: I think it's a great idea, but they can't pay for it with renovation money. That isn't renovation. It's expansion.
then a lot of other stadiums in pro sports that are adding all kinds of shit to their stadiums should not have gotten them either. that train in houston?? the hotel in torontos stadium? the built up warehouses in baltimore that were designed to look like old warehouses???