Royals to make major announcement regarding renovations later today (Mar. 22nd).

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Royals to make major announcement regarding renovations later today (Mar. 22

Post by kcdcchef »

bahua wrote:

We can't, however, support a Major League baseball team, as we have it. The ballpark is in the middle of nowhere, and attracts some of the smallest crowds in professional baseball. What are we clinging on to?
pittsburgh, and cleveland, have downtown stadiums, and draw crowds similar to us. and cleveland is a winning team. so, this argument about its location is ridiculous. the crowds come when the team wins in kansas city, they do not support a loser. even as recently as 5 years ago at arrowhead, there were averages of 73,000. or, look to the 80's, the chiefs COULD NOT average 50,000. there were over 30-40,000 seats open at every game, this town does not support a loser, ONLY a winner. it is not like that in some other cities, whether, their stadiums are downtown or in the boondocks.
bahua wrote:
It's excessive and deceptive. Who ever heard of renovations that cost 675 million dollars? 
do, deceptive is saying they are the only renovations to cost this much. there are not any examples of dual stadiums that needed to be replaced or renovated at the same time. well, pittbsurgh built 2 new ones for 1b on the site of the old one, but, the tsc was the first sports complex in america, and was one of the only ones until the last 10 years. either way, oakland spent 200 million dollars, anaheim spent 140m, yankee stadium got a 200m facelift 30 years ago, fenway has spent over 100m in the past 10 years, so, if you piece what these cities spent on their baseball stadiums, and then add in what they spent on new football stadiums in some cases, there are other cities that have approached this figure. but, there are some cities that spent WAY more to build 2 new ones ( pittsburgh, philly ) so, this argument is ludicrous.
bahua wrote:
The Chiefs aren't going anywhere. They enjoy one of the highest attendance totals in the NFL. They love Kansas City, and Kansas City loves and supports them. Games happen eight times a year, and always on weekends.
same thing the fans in baltimore, los angeles, and cleveland said about their nfl teams. keep telling yourselves that, okay?
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Royals to make major announcement regarding renovations later today (Mar. 22

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: same thing the fans in baltimore, los angeles, and cleveland said about their nfl teams. keep telling yourselves that, okay?
Lamar hunt on KCPT last night said the Chiefs have no plans of going anywhere.  So either he is lying or they are staying.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

kcdcchef wrote: pittsburgh, and cleveland, have downtown stadiums, and draw crowds similar to us. and cleveland is a winning team. so, this argument about its location is ridiculous.
I absolutely agree. The K, as it is, doesn't work. It only seems to attract fans when the Royals are winning. If there was a ballpark in a less god-forsaken location, I think more people would go to games, regardless of any Glass-induced shittiness of the team.

Glass doesn't want a downtown ballpark, because this deal lines his pockets with hundreds of millions of dollars, with no strings attached. Of course he wants to keep the K where it is. He's looking out for number one. But, the fact remains that he's wrong.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

bahua wrote: I absolutely agree. The K, as it is, doesn't work. It only seems to attract fans when the Royals are winning. If there was a ballpark in a less god-forsaken location, I think more people would go to games, regardless of any Glass-induced shittiness of the team.
so, why do cleveland, detroit, and pittsburgh, with their downtown stadiums, suck ass in attendance? downtown locations have not helped those teams, how will it help the royals?
lock&load wrote: Lamar hunt on KCPT last night said the Chiefs have no plans of going anywhere.  So either he is lying or they are staying.

funny, i remmeber in 1983 hearing the colts absolutely would not move, yet in the middle of a winter night, they moved without telling anyone they were moving. media, caught glimpses of semi trucks driving up the freeway with the colts equipment. is he lying? no. he is not lying. is he waiting to see the results of the stadium vote? yes.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Royals to make major announcement regarding renovations later today (Mar. 22nd).

Post by KCMax »

Cleveland and Detroit drew 2 million fans each last year (Pittsburgh drew 1.8 million).

I wish KC's attendance sucked ass that much.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I misunderstood your comment. I apologize.

But, I do think that a ballpark in KC's downtown area would make a difference. You already know that's my opinion, and that isn't the topic of this thread, so I'll leave it at that.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Royals to make major announcement regarding renovations later today (Mar. 22nd).

Post by KCMax »

ANOTHER MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT TODAY!

Royals just announced that if voter vote YES on April 4, Kansas City is guaranteed to host the 2009 Grammar Rodeo!

lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

KCMax wrote: ANOTHER MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT TODAY!

Royals just announced that if voter vote YES on April 4, Kansas City is guaranteed to host the 2009 Grammar Rodeo!
I doubt chef will be invited  :lol: :lol: :lol:
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

The K, or any other location, in our size of market, needs fewer seats, not more. Make seats harder to come by and you will have more presales, which means guaranteed money in your pocket early in the season no matter how the team plays.

Why do the Chiefs still max out on season tickets even though they haven made the playoffs since the 20th century? Because people know if they don't by early they can't buy at all. If the Royals played in a 32-35k stadium I bet they would have 50% higher ticket sales and the money would be in by early March.

The drawback is that if they do ever field a championship team they would be missing out on some revenue, but then you could always charge more, like the Chiefs.

The Royals in their best year averaged 28k a game. Its better to sell out a 30k stadium for the year than roll the dice on having a good year and averaging 32k.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Weren't the chiefs in the playoffs in 2003?
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

bahua wrote: Weren't the chiefs in the playoffs in 2003?
They were invited, but the team didn't really show up.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: Cleveland and Detroit drew 2 million fans each last year (Pittsburgh drew 1.8 million).

I wish KC's attendance sucked ass that much.
cleveland did not hit 2m. close, but they did not hit 2m.

detroit drew 2m, but in 2003, and 2004, were at 1.9 and 1.3. 2003, in their BRAND NEW STADIUM drew 1.3, behind the royals.

but, this is the point. a downtown stadium helping attendance is BULLSHIT. it does not help detroit, cleveland, pittsburgh, why would it help us??????????

cleveland averaged 23,000 until the last 10 games when they were in the wild card hunt, when, they got some sellouts to help them, either way, they did not get 2m.

shinatoo wrote: The K, or any other location, in our size of market, needs fewer seats, not more. Make seats harder to come by and you will have more presales, which means guaranteed money in your pocket early in the season no matter how the team plays.

Why do the Chiefs still max out on season tickets even though they haven made the playoffs since the 20th century? Because people know if they don't by early they can't buy at all. If the Royals played in a 32-35k stadium I bet they would have 50% higher ticket sales and the money would be in by early March.

The drawback is that if they do ever field a championship team they would be missing out on some revenue, but then you could always charge more, like the Chiefs.

The Royals in their best year averaged 28k a game. Its better to sell out a 30k stadium for the year than roll the dice on having a good year and averaging 32k.
that is dumb. the royals still sell out opening day, and 3 more near sell outs for saint louis, and weekend new york games are well over 35,000. make it smaller. dear god.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Well, if you're really going to nitpick:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams ... tend.shtml

Attendance will go up initially, but wane again downtown if the team still sucks. I just think it would be better to steer economic dollars towards downtown than keep them dispersed throughout the suburbs.

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: Well, if you're really going to nitpick:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams ... tend.shtml

Attendance will go up initially, but wane again downtown if the team still sucks. I just think it would be better to steer economic dollars towards downtown than keep them dispersed throughout the suburbs.
yeah, and i got a link from espn that says not 2m.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendanc ... asonType=2

either way, if you use either of those charts, it shows the truth........the attendance wanes downtown too, unless the fans are just that great ( cubs, red sox )

but, as usual, we are comparing our stadium, to other cities that really needed new stadiums. you really can honestly compare kauffman to 3 rivers, vet, memorial, places like that?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

kcdcchef wrote: that is dumb. the royals still sell out opening day, and 3 more near sell outs for saint louis, and weekend new york games are well over 35,000. make it smaller. dear god.
My point is it's better to sell out 1 to 7 dates a year in a 42k building or 40-50 dates a year in a 32k building. I'll take 30-40 dates a year.

The other point is that, with the one guaranteed sellout we have a year and the 1-6 possible others, why the hell would we want to ADD seating?
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

shinatoo wrote: My point is it's better to sell out 1 to 7 dates a year in a 42k building or 40-50 dates a year in a 32k building. I'll take 30-40 dates a year.

The other point is that, with the one guaranteed sellout we have a year and the 1-6 possible others, why the hell would we want to ADD seating?
making it smaller will increase sell outs? sure, if you decrease it to 20,000.

1-7 dates a year is worth it. because if greatness ever happens to this franchise again, those seats are needed.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

shinatoo wrote: The other point is that, with the one guaranteed sellout we have a year and the 1-6 possible others, why the hell would we want to ADD seating?
Those extra 2,000 outfield tickets sold on opening day will help us add another 20K to sweeten our next bid to sign an elderly, washed up, free agent.  Come on Shina, can't you understand the economics?  :lol:
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

kcdcchef wrote: making it smaller will increase sell outs? sure, if you decrease it to 20,000.

1-7 dates a year is worth it. because if greatness ever happens to this franchise again, those seats are needed.
So, Chef, do you think adding seats is a good idea?
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

shinatoo wrote: So, Chef, do you think adding seats is a good idea?
It worked for Kemper!!!
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

shinatoo wrote: So, Chef, do you think adding seats is a good idea?
Seats outside the actual stadium, at that!