Stadium/player question.....

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Stadium/player question.....

Post by nota »

....is the stadium in the city of KC?

If so, do the Royals and Chiefs players who live here pay the city income tax for the games and practices they play here?
jerry12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Stadium/player question.....

Post by jerry12 »

The players pay state and city taxes.  I suppose if they live outside the city or state they may prorate based on games played away.  The visiting players also pay tax to MO and KC.  So when A Rod comes to town he pays 1/162 of $25 mil  X 1% or about $1500 per game.  I have heard depending on their contracts they sometimes spread it out through spring training so pay less.  I think almost all the players live in JoCo.  In the old days they lived in Raytown and Blue Springs but that was before they made millions.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Yes the stadiums are in KCMO city limits and the players are subject to the city's earnings tax as well as the state's entertainers tax.  Most players live in Leawood, however some do live in Lakewood and other parts of Lee's Summit with a few a sprinkled around Downtown or the Plaza.  Dick Vermiel lived on the Plaza and I think Tony Pena had a farm near Liberty.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

dangerboy wrote: Yes the stadiums are in KCMO city limits and the players are subject to the city's earnings tax as well as the state's entertainers tax.  Most players live in Leawood, however some do live in Lakewood and other parts of Lee's Summit with a few a sprinkled around Downtown or the Plaza.  Dick Vermiel lived on the Plaza and I think Tony Pena had a farm near Liberty.
a lot of royals players end up in apartments on the plaza generally, unless they are long termers, joe randa lives locally still, kevin appier had a farm in paola, but, generally speaking, the chiefs players seem to end up more in the burbs, and royals players end up in apartments usually. more travel for baseball, less likely to get a home when you may only be a royal 1-3 years and travel most of that time. in the nfl, whether or not you stay is moot, you only travel 10 times a year for 2 days each trip, a home makes more sense.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Pena, didn't live on a farm, just a nice house in the northland (typ suburban lot).

A lot of players live in LS and even Blue Springs and more and and more are living up north.  The plaza is popular as well.

I'd say probably over half live on the MO side, but they all should IMO ;)
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

A lot of the guys with apartments live out of town most of the time and just have the apartment for when they are here.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

This may be totally bogus, but is there an apartment at Arrowhead for Lamar?  I heard that, but wasn't sure if it was true...
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Kard wrote: This may be totally bogus, but is there an apartment at Arrowhead for Lamar?  I heard that, but wasn't sure if it was true...
Sort of.  They have a suite that is for all intents and purposes a fully functioning apartment.  They did a tour of it on the news a long time ago.  Very nice wood paneling, etc.  I have no idea if he actually ever sleeps there. 
Last edited by LenexatoKCMO on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

I think Lamar actually stays at the Rose Estates when he is in town :)
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Lamar also has a big suite of offices in Subtropolis, just in case of Rapture.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Unless something has changed since I lived in STL, the Cards and Rams do not pay city income taxes.

That was why I was wondering.

Regarding whether they live in KS or MO, aren't the stadiums financed at least in part by the bi-state tax?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

nota wrote: Regarding whether they live in KS or MO, aren't the stadiums financed at least in part by the bi-state tax?
What bistate tax?  There has only been in the history of KC, which paid for Union Station and only lasted for around five years.  The stadiums are completely owned by Jackson County, wtih some annual support from KCMO and the state of Missouri.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

dangerboy wrote: What bistate tax?  There has only been in the history of KC, which paid for Union Station and only lasted for around five years.  The stadiums are completely owned by Jackson County, wtih some annual support from KCMO and the state of Missouri.
Thanks. That is the first straight answer I've gotten since I've lived here. Of course I've only asked my neighbors, etc.

I thought the Bistate was ongoing.
Boognish
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Boognish »

A lot of professional athletes (particularly Chiefs) live in a subdivision called "The Cliffs" right off of I-70 and MO-291. Very convenient, and very suburban posh.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Pena lived at Staley Farms when he resigned. Maybe he still does. Posh also.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

jerry12 wrote:   In the old days they lived in Raytown and Blue Springs but that was before they made millions.
In the 60's many of the Chiefs lived in South KC or in the area now in Lees' Summit.  Worked at Red Bridge and Lenny, Johnny Robinson, E. J. Holub are some that come to mind who I saw at the store.  Those who came from Texas liked the farm/ranch areas around 150 Highway and what is now 291.  Although Bill Kenney was not an original Chief he owned a big farm/ranch in this area.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.