Propaganda in my mailbox... Big Leagues, Big Hearts!

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Propaganda in my mailbox... Big Leagues, Big Hearts!

Post by DaveKCMO »

did anyone else receive a "Big Leagues, Big Hearts" mailer tonight from the SOS committee? i'll try to describe the political cliches and offer a few priceless quotes:

side 1:
large full-color photo of player "Hicks" holding little blond girl with pigtails in empty stadium. sally struthers is surely lingering in the background. "Big Leagues" in bulky sans-serif typeface and "Big Hearts" in a loving, charity-driven script. "Vote YES! Keep the teams!" across the bottom of the photo in the bulky typeface from above. i think i threw up in my mouth when i saw this image.

side 2:
alternating full-color pictures and lists of "Organizations Touched by the Teams and Players" (note that "Chiefs Cheerleaders" are listed, but not "touched" in that way... "Project Warmth" is listed in parenthesis, in case your mind wanders to the gutter). one could easily assume that this list is not meant to be read, but admired simply for it's length ("Royalsology"? is that something that involves Prince?) and inclusiveness [Greater Kansas City Day (when the f*ck is this celebrated?) and Black History Month recognition on website (omigod! all year long? or just in february?)]. pictures include players with sick people in hospital, signing autographs for kids, joining seniors for "styrofoam cup day" at the old folks' home, and buying school supplies for kids.

i can't imagine anyone who's truly against the two questions being swayed by this. did anyone switch their stance when they opened their mailbox and found the equivalent of the big-eyed puppy dog helplessly staring at them?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Propaganda in my mailbox... Big Leagues, Big Hearts!

Post by KCMax »

They're really playing the charity angle up which is kinda weird. Not sure anyone is going to vote for that reason. The newest commercial emphasizes how much charity work the Chiefs and Royals do, and of course, they announced that the a portion of the profits from the naming rights on the roof will go to charity.

Is that really going to sway any votes????
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Big Hearts indeed.  Tax the poor to help the rich.  What could be sweeter?  Clearly they've figured out they aren't going to win on the issues.  I see nothing about the renovation plan itself anymore, just pictures of a rolling roof and Slugger in a hospital.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: Big Hearts indeed.  Tax the poor to help the rich.  What could be sweeter?  Clearly they've figured out they aren't going to win on the issues.   I see nothing about the renovation plan itself anymore, just pictures of a rolling roof and Slugger in a hospital.
maybe you and the opposition campaign could get some shots of your 2 biggest heroes, kevin kietzman playing golf at falcon ridge, and soryn petro eating a burger at the 810 zone. now those would really counter the work of slugger visiting kids at childrens mercy, 6 figure kietzman golfing near his 750,000 dollar house in joco. ummmm yeah.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

kcdcchef wrote: maybe you and the opposition campaign could get some shots of your 2 biggest heroes, kevin kietzman playing golf at falcon ridge, and soryn petro eating a burger at the 810 zone. now those would really counter the work of slugger visiting kids at childrens mercy, 6 figure kietzman golfing near his 750,000 dollar house in joco. ummmm yeah.
OK Chef, let's not get too carried away... I know Kietz, and I know where he lives, he does not live in a 750,000 house... oh, btw, he is not your typical snobby joco guy anyways, the only reason you don't like him is because he is for a better plan for the city he loves. 

btw, the only houses in the falcon ridge development that are consistently over 750,000 are in the Estates, he doesn't live there...

the point is, it doesn't matter where he lives, he's an honest stand up guy, and i commend him for it.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

skim82 wrote: OK Chef, let's not get too carried away... I know Kietz, and I know where he lives, he does not live in a 750,000 house... oh, btw, he is not your typical snobby joco guy anyways, the only reason you don't like him is because he is for a better plan for the city he loves. 

btw, the only houses in the falcon ridge development that are consistently over 750,000 are in the Estates, he doesn't live there...

the point is, it doesn't matter where he lives, he's an honest stand up guy, and i commend him for it.

he does live in falcon ridge, i know, because i have seen him over there in the falcon ridge clubhouse getting pizza for his kids, that someone i knew was making!!

i met kietz at both share the wealth events. at the first one, he had me on the air for 10 minutes, even taking calls, because he was so fascinated that a new york resident, a former kc resident, flew to kc just for this event on a moments notice. the man is a good guy, and i have seen his house, it is at least $500,000, but, who the hell cares.

anyways, i like kietz, and his show, and will continue too after this is over. but either way, to knock slugger for his charity work, or the yes side for using him, is petty.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

chef, are you voting on the stadium issue?
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

chrizow wrote: chef, are you voting on the stadium issue?
not sure. depends on how my early april trip shapes up.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

um, did anyone else actually receive this mailer? pardon if that question got lost in the lengthy post...
jerry12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by jerry12 »

Aside from my personal feelings about this issue I think the proponents have run a terrible campaign.  Pat Gray and Glorioso are highly overated. 
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I live in Waldo and have not gotten any mailers yet.  Someone told me about one they got a few weeks ago...I didn't get that one either.

Expect another one the Friday - Monday before the vote.  Northstar always sends one out at the last minute...  It will probably be the most "emotional" (sappy or FUD) one yet.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

when someone held up this mailer at tonight's panel discussion, there were a lot of visceral reactions. granted, the entire crowd was against both questions, but i suspect this particular piece of campaign literature might backfire.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

DaveKCMO wrote: when someone held up this mailer at tonight's panel discussion, there were a lot of visceral reactions. granted, the entire crowd was against both questions, but i suspect this particular piece of campaign literature might backfire.
how was that? obviusly, the vote no crowd was bigger, i had suspected they would be.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DaveKCMO wrote: when someone held up this mailer at tonight's panel discussion, there were a lot of visceral reactions. granted, the entire crowd was against both questions, but i suspect this particular piece of campaign literature might backfire.
exaclty, I have seen it "backfire" in person, somebody at work actually brought that ad in and it's been a source of jokes all week.