Stadiums not an economic boon for taxpayers

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Stadiums not an economic boon for taxpayers

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: done, sort of :)
nice. are you talking about the stadiums in montreal? cool. i like it.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

better?
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

not sure where that stadium is.

are you referring to kauffman stadium?
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

It says Kauffman Stadium.  But it's your quote...are you confusing yourself?
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: It says Kauffman Stadium.  But it's your quote...are you confusing yourself?
no, it does not. your dumbass spelled it wrong. kaffuman. it is KAUFFMAN.

for someone who is always up on spelling, rich, you sure fucked that up.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: no, it does not. your dumbass spelled it wrong. kaffuman. it is KAUFFMAN.

for someone who is always up on spelling, rich, you sure fucked that up.
My bad, I screwed that one up.  Sorry to embarass you by bungling your quote!!
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: My bad, I screwed that one up.  Sorry to embarass you by bungling your quote!!
you did not bungle my quote.

however, wait til you see the signatures i have planned if this passes.......................
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: you did not bungle my quote.

however, wait til you see the signatures i have planned if this passes.......................
and if it loses?

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: and if it loses?

not necessary. if it fails, it will just return again, a plan regarding the truman sports complex.

that downtown stadium you are pining for will not happen in our lifetime. well, we will be OLD when it happens.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: we will be OLD when it happens.
speak for yourself...

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: speak for yourself...
its cyclops!!!!
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Sorry, wrong picture before...

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: Sorry, wrong picture before...

not that this has anything to do with this thread, but, what do you do for a living?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Looks like I missed all sorts of highbrow conversation since yesterday.  I guess I will go ahead and respond to this. 
kcdcchef wrote: WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH THE STADIUM?????????????[/b]
Everything.  He wanted out of the lease.  Why, because the renovated Coliseum sucks.  The only reason he has not "demanded a new one" is that he knows that Oakland/Alameda couldn't even really afford to pay for the reno and there isn't a snowballs chance in hell of it getting done.  Make no doubt about it, if the league and the state would have let him, Al would have been back in LA 3 years after the renovation.  You can sit here and try and argue semantics all day long but it won't change the fact that the renovated Coliseum sucks and hasn't done a damn thing to help the teams that reside there.  Ever been to the place?  Its a giant sixties style stadium, remarkably similar to the K, except it now has a big ugly football suite tower slapped into the outfield.  The thing couldn't hope to remotely compete with modern stadiums; just like our half ass renovated stadiums wouldn't stack up to the real deal.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

GRID wrote:
Jackson County has a low tax rate, especially for a large, urban core county.
Grid--
Read the paper this morning about our need to upgrade the sewer system.  If this is funding by a sales tax increase and the TSC tax passes we will have the largest sales taxes in the area.  And look at your property tax for last year.  Those are skyrocketing too.  If you really want to continue the expansion of the city and promote business you can't have runaway taxes.  These owners need to pay for their own building upkeep.

"All that work could cost anywhere from more than $2 billion to more than $3 billion, the city said.
City staff is discussing an election date, possibly in two years, so voters can approve one or more funding options. Options include:
■ A 1-cent sales tax. If it passes, and if voters also pass the sales tax for major renovations at the sports stadiums next month, Kansas City residents could face the highest sales tax in the region and possibly one of the highest in the nation.
■ Higher property taxes.
■ A variety of bonds. But voters just passed one of the largest bond proposals in the city’s history last August. That $500 million proposal, while dealing with water and sewers, allots only a small portion for the combined sewer project."
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

beautyfromashes wrote: Grid--
Read the paper this morning about our need to upgrade the sewer system.  If this is funding by a sales tax increase and the TSC tax passes we will have the largest sales taxes in the area.  And look at your property tax for last year.  Those are skyrocketing too.  If you really want to continue the expansion of the city and promote business you can't have runaway taxes.  These owners need to pay for their own building upkeep.

"All that work could cost anywhere from more than $2 billion to more than $3 billion, the city said.
City staff is discussing an election date, possibly in two years, so voters can approve one or more funding options. Options include:
■ A 1-cent sales tax. If it passes, and if voters also pass the sales tax for major renovations at the sports stadiums next month, Kansas City residents could face the highest sales tax in the region and possibly one of the highest in the nation.
■ Higher property taxes.
■ A variety of bonds. But voters just passed one of the largest bond proposals in the city’s history last August. That $500 million proposal, while dealing with water and sewers, allots only a small portion for the combined sewer project."
Actually, I think Grid lives in eastern Jackson County.  The sewer issue is only a KC problem.

And, based on likely votor populations, even if the Jackson County portion of KC votes no on the 4th, eastern Jackson County could still carry the issue.  Neat.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Looks like I missed all sorts of highbrow conversation since yesterday.  I guess I will go ahead and respond to this. 

Everything.  He wanted out of the lease.  Why, because the renovated Coliseum sucks.  
yeah, but bottom line, he asked out of the lease, 5 years ago, because he was not getting sell outs, before, or after the renovations. he never ONCE mentioned renovations. not once. you did.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote: he never ONCE mentioned renovations. not once. you did.
Semantics.  It doesn't change the fact that one season after completion, the renovations were already showing signs of being a failure on multiple levels. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Semantics.  It doesn't change the fact that one season after completion, the renovations were already showing signs of being a failure on multiple levels. 
lenexa

he did not have sell outs in the los angeles collesium. he moved to the oakland collesium because the city of oakland PROMISED him the games would be sold out. 7 years after he got there, there were no sell outs still, or, not every game. they reovated. same thing, he still only had sporadic sell outs. he sued.

he did not mention renovations.

you did.

do you see the credibility problem with your story? a billionaire owner of the oakland raiders is not asking for a new stadium, but you think he is. end of the day, this news is 5 years old, you can not find ONE real article from recently showing al davis asking for a new stadium. NOT ONE.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote:
do you see the credibility problem with your story? a billionaire owner of the oakland raiders is not asking for a new stadium, but you think he is. end of the day,
I already told you, he isn't "asking" for a new stadium because he knows there isn't any money left in Oakland to build an outhouse, let alone a new stadium.  When it became evident that the renovated stadium in Oakland wasn't going to be a good long term solution, Al's angle was to try and get out of the lease (hence the article you keep discounting); this wasn't for the purpose of getting Oakland to build a new stadium, it was so he get the hell out of town.  He didn't have much luck on getting out of the lease, and in the meantime LA cooled on the idea of handing someone a free stadium.  You think Al is happy in that undercapacity, unprofitable joke of a renovated stadium; selling 55,000 tickets to playoff games and virtually no corporate sales?  If he could find a way out of that lease and there was some other town foolish enough to give him a stadium, AL would be gone tomorrow (6 years after the renovation of his stadium).  I don't think you will find much of any raiders fans or Oakland residents who would disagree with that assessment.