Should we wait for next JaCo executive to negotiate a better stadiums deal?

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Should we wait for next JaCo executive to negotiate a better stadiums deal?

Post by kcdcchef »

mean wrote: If this city loses a team it won't be due to ignorance, it will hopefully be due to them making educated and rational decisions, instead of irrational emotional ones.

Anyway, Kansas City is a rabid football town. Even if Hunt was a daft enough businessman to risk moving the Chiefs (which I'm quite certain he isn't) the NFL and some rich owner would see the dollar signs before long.
rabid football fans show up when the team loses. hence, a full house for the 4-12 packers, all 10 home dates last season. we had to push extra tickets the last 2 games. and, yes, i know why we had the extras.

yeah, kansas city has good football fans, i agree there, but, come on, i mean, did you see the 80's? they were not as doom and gloom as everyone says, marv levy got the team over .500 to a winning record, then mackovic came in and went 10-6 and into the 1986 playoffs, and the crowds were still between 50-65,000. could not get any local blackouts that year. up until we won the west, and made 3 playoff apperances under marty, we could not get the local blackout lifted all 10 games.

lamar hunt, and more importantly, clark hunt, who we should worry most about, are good business men, which, is why, we better get this done, it is what they want, and being good business men, will make them think of looking into other options if need be. if we think being the chiefs, or chiefs fans, makes us any more storied, or important, then the colts, raiders, or browns, who, all bailed, then, you are sadly mistaken.
aknowledgeableperson wrote: When the county is in default then the teams have options, we do not.
Options for the Chiefs and/or Royals in metro areas larger than KC: Los Angeles, Portland, Sacramento.
Options for the Chiefs and/or Royals in metro areas smaller than KC but growing faster than KC: Orlando, San Antonio, Las Vegas, Charlotte, Salt Lake City, Austin.

Negotiated many times, just not with sports teams.
charlotte is bigger, san antonio is right there with us, so the myth of not any bigger markets for either is not only false, but not of relevance with the nfl. they can and will go to smaller markets.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Steve Kraske was on KMBZ this morning with Mike Shanin and said he spoke with a Jackson County Legislator late last week who said he thinks that if Question 2 passes and Question 1 fails they will still be able to impose the use tax and use it to fund basic renovations.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: Steve Kraske was on KMBZ this morning with Mike Shanin and said he spoke with a Jackson County Legislator late last week who said he thinks that if Question 2 passes and Question 1 fails they will still be able to impose the use tax and use it to fund basic renovations.
nope. they closed that loophole, it was reported in the star and on local television in kc. they absolutely cannot use question 2  to do a bare bones repair. he obviulsy was speaking out of his arse.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: nope. they closed that loophole, it was reported in the star and on local television in kc. they absolutely cannot use question 2  to do a bare bones repair. he obviulsy was speaking out of his arse.
I know that is what we've been led to believe, as does Kraske.  He was just reporting what he was told by a Legislator.  So either we've got and ignorant Legislator or they are up to something.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: I know that is what we've been led to believe, as does Kraske.  He was just reporting what he was told by a Legislator.  So either we've got and ignorant Legislator or they are up to something.
again, he is full of shit. when, the star ran a front page piece on it saying the loophole was absolutely and positively closed, no ifs ands or butts, i fail to believe any other way.

the star may be opinionated, but, they would not run a piece like that, on the front page, if they were not sure.

no, that legislator ( i would guess ) was speaking of wishful thinking. just like that idiot lawyer who was saying ( something you loved to hear ) that the county would go for arrowhead reno, and kauffman bare bones, so, that the royals could move downtown later, and was subsequently banished from negotiations as a result.

or like cauthen spoke to grid about the subject, and fired off his mouth. or like you and i are doing.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: again, he is full of shit. when, the star ran a front page piece on it saying the loophole was absolutely and positively closed, no ifs ands or butts, i fail to believe any other way.
Steve Kraske is one person at the Star I would never accuse of being "full of shit."  Simmer down man, just relaying what I heard.  I for one do not trust the Jackson County Legislature and would not at all be surprised to find out they were up to something like this.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: Steve Kraske is one person at the Star I would never accuse of being "full of shit."  Simmer down man, just relaying what I heard.  I for one do not trust the Jackson County Legislature and would not at all be surprised to find out they were up to something like this.
i just do not know how it would be possible, since they changed the ballot language to specifically eliminate that possibility.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: i just do not know how it would be possible, since they changed the ballot language to specifically eliminate that possibility.
Never underestimate the behind the scenes moves JackCo can pull off.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: Never underestimate the behind the scenes moves JackCo can pull off.
well i guess if one fails, and they are against the wall of pissing off 2 pro sports teams over broken leases, they could get desperate, however, both teams, and the county, signed off that they could not do that, so, for them to do that, they would further piss off both teams, especially the one that wanted this dumb roof.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: When the county is in default then the teams have options, we do not. 
Options for the Chiefs and/or Royals in metro areas larger than KC:  Los Angeles, Portland, Sacramento.
Options for the Chiefs and/or Royals in metro areas smaller than KC but growing faster than KC: Orlando, San Antonio, Las Vegas, Charlotte, Salt Lake City, Austin.

Negotiated many times, just not with sports teams.
What's great is that since there is no clearly defined standard of "state of the art," the county could potentially default even if they spent lots of money. But aside from that, you're just spewing random city names. There's zero evidence that any of these metros are interested in giving a team as good a deal as JaxCo has offered on this ballot, and why would they go through all the risk and trouble of moving and paying a much higher percentage to build new, when they could just renegotiate and get more equitable (to the taxpayers) renovation deal here?

The teams only have these "options" if other metros are willing to take it in the pants for them, but other metros don't have the same irrational, weepy-eyed sentimental attachment to our teams and facilities that we do and are therefore much more likely to give them the finger.

Anyway, don't you live outside Jackson County?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

mean wrote:
The teams only have these "options" if other metros are willing to take it in the pants for them, but other metros don't have the same irrational, weepy-eyed sentimental attachment to our teams and facilities that we do and are therefore much more likely to give them the finger.
really mean? i just listed 30 markets that have taken similar, or worse deals, in the past 10 years.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

mean wrote: Anyway, don't you live outside Jackson County?
A Jackson County resident since 1957 and a KCMO resident for all of that time except for 6 months renting an apartment in Grandview.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: A Jackson County resident since 1957 and a KCMO resident for all of that time except for 6 months renting an apartment in Grandview.
So you really are older than dirt :)
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

kcdcchef wrote: really mean? i just listed 30 markets that have taken similar, or worse deals, in the past 10 years.
I missed that, but I doubt that the circumstances are identical. So, how many markets have stepped up and expressed interest in either of our teams? How many markets have the Chiefs or Royals been contacted by? If they really want us shaking in our boots, shouldn't they be shopping around?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

They are not in the market yet since their contracts do not expire until 2015.  However, they do have an out at the end of this year if the stadiums are not taken care of.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

mean wrote: I missed that, but I doubt that the circumstances are identical. So, how many markets have stepped up and expressed interest in either of our teams? How many markets have the Chiefs or Royals been contacted by? If they really want us shaking in our boots, shouldn't they be shopping around?
none. you have to get permission from your perspective sport before you can go shopping. and either team, can get that, in writing, whenever they wanted. they made it clear they would get behind this tax iniatiative first.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: They are not in the market yet since their contracts do not expire until 2015.  However, they do have an out at the end of this year if the stadiums are not taken care of.
And for that, I blame the Jackson County Legislature, not those who vote no on the upcoming ballot issues.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

none. you have to get permission from your perspective sport before you can go shopping. and either team, can get that, in writing, whenever they wanted. they made it clear they would get behind this tax iniatiative first.
"That's what you think!"

-Al Davis

I think you're right chef, concerning MLB, because the Marlins had to get MLB's permission. But I believe Al Davis successfully sued the NFL for the right to move his franchise wherever he wanted without permission, which is why franchise relocation has been so much more rampant in the NFL than in MLB.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: "That's what you think!"

-Al Davis

I think you're right chef, concerning MLB, because the Marlins had to get MLB's permission. But I believe Al Davis successfully sued the NFL for the right to move his franchise wherever he wanted without permission, which is why franchise relocation has been so much more rampant in the NFL than in MLB.
davis paved the way for art moddel, and also, the saint louis cardinals football team. but davis, unlike the colts, browns, cardinals, and now chiefs, still had a lease he was under in la. he was suing, because the lease stipulated the attendance had to be so high, and it was not.