PROs and CONs of Question 1 and Question 2

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Mr. Cranky
Pad site
Pad site

$3,700 a game?

Post by Mr. Cranky »

In trying to break down how having sports teams affect the region economically (an almost impossible task), I don't suppose you could find a worse example that the one Jeff Spivak found in today's Star: a guy who spends $3,700 every time he comes to a game.

Link (no registration required)

■ Do the stadiums and the teams playing there make you richer?

Maybe, but it might be hard to notice.

A new study done for the Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce predicts the stadium renovations, once completed, will trigger $412 million in economic activity for Jackson County every year. That is not all new activity, because the teams are already there, but it represents the loss if the teams leave, which would concern the chamber if voters don’t approve the stadium renovations.

So the economic figure adds up everything from team payrolls to team memorabilia sales, from business at sports bars to business at grocery stores related to game-watching parties.

As part of that impact, the study by consulting firm Development Strategies Inc. of St. Louis suggests total personal income of county residents would be $73 million higher because of the stadiums’ operations and fans’ spending. That figure means having the teams play in fixed-up stadiums would put, on average, $111 in the pocket of every county resident.

To better understand how this would happen, consider Chiefs season ticket-holder Phil Pulley.

He is from Arkansas, and so for every Chiefs home game, he and his family and friends fly to Kansas City in a private jet, rent a car, stay at a hotel, go out to eat, buy groceries for tailgating and, of course, go to the game. All told, Pulley estimates he spends more than $3,700 every Chiefs weekend.

That helps pay the salaries at those businesses, then those workers have money to buy things, and there is a continued trickle-down through the economy.

“If you live in Jackson County, it’s hard to see this, but on the outside looking in, it’s easy to see,â€
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Re: PROs and CONs of Question 1 and Question 2

Post by bahua »

I think the saveourstadiums/kcstar/DTC folks are really reaching. I think they're losing people, and they know it.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

8)
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

bahua wrote: I think the saveourstadiums/kcstar/DTC folks are really reaching. I think they're losing people, and they know it.

guess that is why arrowhead pavilion was packed for the campaign rally??

losing who? people like you they never had?
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

QueSi2Opie wrote: In St. Louis.
Monday morning rant:

Nobody in St Louis gives a rat's behind about anything going on here.  I lived in St Louis when they where "interfearing" with the Downtown Arena and no one there had any idea it was even being proposed--people in KC told me about it and I laughed.  I'm sick of people blaming St Louis for our own lack of confidence and ability to make something happen.  It's pathetic.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote:
guess that is why arrowhead pavilion was packed for the campaign rally??

losing who? people like you they never had?
Listening to Darla Jaye and Jerry Agar on KMBZ this morning, it sounds like most of the crowd was players, cheerleaders, govt people, politicians, architects, etc.  Not a whole lot of regular Joe voters there.  Theytalked to Alvin Brooks.  Please help us, he is a major league moron.  Sounds like a bumbling idiot.  Says the stadiums help the homeless.  Sad when even the representatives of those who can least afford to pay the tax or attend games is supporting the tax.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: Listening to Darla Jaye and Jerry Agar on KMBZ this morning, it sounds like most of the crowd was players, cheerleaders, govt people, politicians, architects, etc.  Not a whole lot of regular Joe voters there.  Theytalked to Alvin Brooks.  Please help us, he is a major league moron.  Sounds like a bumbling idiot.   Says the stadiums help the homeless.  Sad when even the representatives of those who can least afford to pay the tax or attend games is supporting the tax.
that is too bad, i guess the pictures i saw of the rally, with the tent packed, were just made up pictures or something. .......................and oh yeah, the cheerleaders, chiefs players, buck oneill, people of those sorts, were ON STAGE, not in the general audience, and it was still packed.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

It was a PR stunt.  You can tell from the flyer.  Only supporters were allowed in.  It was put on for the press to show on TV.  That's all it was.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Kard wrote: It was a PR stunt.  You can tell from the flyer.  Only supporters were allowed in.  It was put on for the press to show on TV.  That's all it was.

well shit, you expected them to let the opposition in? please. of course it was pr, but also good will, for supporters.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: that is too bad, i guess the pictures i saw of the rally, with the tent packed, were just made up pictures or something. .......................and oh yeah, the cheerleaders, chiefs players, buck oneill, people of those sorts, were ON STAGE, not in the general audience, and it was still packed.
Maybe if you'd extract your head from your ass you'd see the pictures more clearly.  Had I not been in Wichita on Saturday, I'd have been there makin a ruckus.  It really doesn't matter how many people were there.  Undecided voters aren't showing up for a pro-yes vote rally.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote:   Had I not been in Wichita on Saturday, I'd have been there makin a ruckus.
depressing that you were in wichita, but, had you been in the kc area, they would not have let your happy ass in, it was for supporters, not people there to start shit, THEY HAD KCPD, you would have been forced out.
lock&load wrote: Maybe if you'd extract your head from your ass you'd see the pictures more clearly. Had I not been in Wichita on Saturday, I'd have been there makin a ruckus. It really doesn't matter how many people were there. Undecided voters aren't showing up for a pro-yes vote rally.
take your head out of your own hillbilly ass. there were undecideds there, they got interviewed on FOX4 to say why there were there.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: depressing that you were in wichita, but, had you been in the kc area, they would not have let your happy ass in, it was for supporters, not people there to start shit, THEY HAD KCPD, you would have been forced out.
And where were you Saturday?  Living vicariously through FOX4 it sounds like.  Get a life in your own city.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: And where were you Saturday?  Living vicariously through FOX4 it sounds like.  Get a life in your own city.
man, first time living on your own away from mom and dad, really swells your ego.

actually, i caught a clip from fox 4 online about it, that is how i know. and kc is my city. we have been over this plenty of times, and i will go over it with you whenever you please.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: man, first time living on your own away from mom and dad, really swells your ego.
I know, I won't hold that against you.  You'll enter reality soon enough.  You should have moved away from ticket-taker mom a long time ago.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: I know, I won't hold that against you.  You'll enter reality soon enough.   You should have moved away from ticket-taker mom a long time ago.
i moved out of my parents house in the 80's. it was 2 years ago for you, even though they paid your college tuition, paid for your car, and bought all your furniture in your new home.

btw, mom is retired. only tears tickets 81 games a year for a hobby.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: i moved out of my parents house in the 80's. it was 2 years ago for you, even though they paid your college tuition, paid for your car, and bought all your furniture in your new home.

btw, mom is retired. only tears tickets 81 games a year for a hobby.
Good thing she is doing it for the Royals, any other team would probably wear her out, but I'm sure the trickle of Royals fans is relaxing.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: Good thing she is doing it for the Royals, any other team would probably wear her out, but I'm sure the trickle of Royals fans is relaxing.
she does the pavilion. rather busy out there any night.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: she does the pavilion. rather busy out there any night.
So she's not the one who is oblivious and let's you through with tickets to games that have already passed?
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: So she's not the one who is oblivious and let's you through with tickets to games that have already passed?
nope. that is not her. although, kauffman has finally stepped into the 21st century, they have scanners now, no more ticket tearing, bar codes get scanned at every gate now.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: nope. that is not her. although, kauffman has finally stepped into the 21st century, they have scanners now, no more ticket tearing, bar codes get scanned at every gate now.
They could finally afford to upgrade since they only need a couple of machines for the 7,000 fans :)

Maybe they can upgrade the people that sell the tickets now so it doesn't take 10 minutes to buy a ticket from a man who was born before radio was invented and clearly doesn't have a clue what he is doing with the computer there.