Alternative to Bi-state sales tax to fund Stadiums.

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Alternative to Bi-state sales tax to fund Stadiums.

Post by justin8216 »

I have come up with a plan to spread out the cost of the TSC to more of the metro, although sadly not to the KS side. Right now TSC is wholly owned by the Jackson County government and the citizens of Jackson County are the ones footing the bill, including the proposed sales tax for it's improvement. My solution is to transfer ownership and responsibility for one of the  two stadiums (which is more a liability than an asset to the county)  to the city of Kansas City, MO. Then Jackson County would only have one stadium to fund improvements for, and can propose half the sales tax. Then Kansas City, MO as owner of the other stadium could propose the other half of the sales tax for the City which would include the portions of KCMO in Platte and Clay county's. The only draw back is that the portion of KCMO that is in Jackson County would have to pay both the county sales tax and the city's sales tax, while the other areas would only pay one or the other. But at least this way you get the 37,000 KCMO residents in Platte County and how ever many KCMO residents live in Clay to foot part of the bill for the stadiums. Both of those county's also have significant retail sales and  pull particularly from areas of those two counties outside KCMO, which would snag more sales tax dollars from the outside to fund the Stadiums. I'm no expert on MO government, but if anyone can see any holes in this plan let me know.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Alternative to Bi-state sales tax to fund Stadiums.

Post by justin8216 »

I have one other idea. Have the MO state legislature create a Jackson-Clay-Platte tri-county sports authority governed by an elected board, transfer ownership of the TSC from Jackson county, which can barely afford to maintain it on its own, to the new tri-county sports authority. Then propose a sales tax with full force in three counties, that contain more than half metro Kansas City area's population. And viola, you get what you've been wanting, the burden lifted from Jackson County  to pay for something that the entire metro benefits from. You won't get to collect any of KS's sales tax dollars directly, but allot of Kansan's shop on the Plaza and the northland, so you would still be collecting KS sales tax dollars to help fund the stadiums. And you would have more than half the metro's population chipping in for the TSC which is what everybody wants.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Justin, you are right on with the idea of a multi-county authority on the MO side.  It was considered, but I think they decided there wasn't enough time to get new legislation passed before the leases went into default.  Also, Clay and Platte would be very reluctant to enter into an authority with what many see as a corrupt and inept Jackson County government.

The problem with the KCMO plan is that it shifts the financial burden from 700,000 to 450,000.  We need more people sharing the cost, not fewer.  Also, KCMO's debt load is getting really hight with things like the arena and such.  The city is still facing a $2 billion bill for the ailing water and sewer system.  Besides, the Jax part of KCMO accounts for 60% of the city's residents.  The overlap is huge.

Finally, people in Clay and Platte do pay some of the bill already.  Everyone in those counties contributes to the state subsidy.  KCMO residents in those two counties also pay a second time through KCMO's city subsidy.  And of course KCMO residents in Jax pay a third time through the county's subsidy.  The new tax would add a fourth share for KCMO residents in Jackson County.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

I was not aware that the population of Jackson County had grown to 700,000.

My first plan wouldn't add any extra burden for jackson county, it would reduce it.

Because Jackson County would only own one stadium, they would only need half of the curretn sales tax proposed. That means the areas outside KCMO in Jackson County would pay half of what the sales tax increase is presently proposed. Residents of KCMO living in Clay and Platte would pay one half, and residents in KCMO in Jackson county would end up with both halfs; the same sales tax increase that they are going to get if the current sales tax proposal is passed.
So now you have the reported 700,000 people in Jackson County paying along with the (100,000?) KCMO citizens in Clay and Platte countys. Plus people who live outside KCMO city limits in Clay and Platte do allot of shopping in KCMO city limits you are also collecting sales tax from them as well increasing it by thousands more people who would be contributing, who won't be under the current sales tax proposal before voters.

???????
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I think it would be very difficult with Kansas City's debt load to take on funding a stadium. And yes, I think they would have the same problem with a downtown baseball stadium.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

dangerboy wrote:   Also, Clay and Platte would be very reluctant to enter into an authority with what many see as a corrupt and inept Jackson County government.
Well that is the point of the state legislature enacting legsilation creating it. You would by-pass the local opposition. Clay and Paltte are subject to the state, and if they create a tri-county authority thier would be nothing they could do.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

dangerboy wrote:
The problem with the KCMO plan is that it shifts the financial burden from 700,000 to 450,000.  We need more people sharing the cost, not fewer.  Also, KCMO's debt load is getting really hight with things like the arena and such. 
With an elected tri-county sports authority  it would shift the burden from 700,000 people to 960,00 people, more than half the metro area populatoin.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Sorry, Jackson is around 660,000.  But it will be at or over 700,000 by the end of the 25 year tax.  In either case, it would still dominate any multi-county authority.  With more than twice the population of Clay and Platte combined and the majority sales tax revenues, Jackson would likely have a majority of seats on the authority's board.

Moving one stadium to KCMO doesn't help Jackson County all that much.  50% of Jackson's population is in KCMO, so only half the county would see the benefit of this plan.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

justin8216 wrote: Well that is the point of the state legislature enacting legsilation creating it. You would by-pass the local opposition. Clay and Paltte are subject to the state, and if they create a tri-county authority thier would be nothing they could do.
The state legislature could authorize it but it still would be up to Clay and Platte to accept it.  And if the counties oppose it the state would have a hard time passing the legislation.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

dangerboy wrote: Sorry, Jackson is around 660,000.  But it will be at or over 700,000 by the end of the 25 year tax.  In either case, it would still dominate any multi-county authority.  With more than twice the population of Clay and Platte combined and the majority sales tax revenues, Jackson would likely have a majority of seats on the authority's board.

Moving one stadium to KCMO doesn't help Jackson County all that much.  50% of Jackson's population is in KCMO, so only half the county would see the benefit of this plan.
i would think with the rapid growth of kcmo over the next 10 thanks to the p&l condos and east village that will easily pack a couple thou downtown, and just the same general growth it has experienced the last 20 years, it should hit 700,000 by 2010. just my opinion.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D