Question 2

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City

Shall Jackson County impose a local use tax for the purpose of constructing, maintaining and operating a rolling roof over Arrowhead and Kauffman Stadiums at the Harry S. Truman Sports Complex

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes: 40

KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Question 2

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

Full ballot language:

Shall Jackson County impose a local use tax for the purpose of constructing, maintaining and operating a rolling roof over Arrowhead and Kauffman Stadiums at the Harry S. Truman Sports Complex, with any revenue from the tax which is not needed for those purposes to be used for retirement of the obligations issued to finance improvements to the Harry S. Truman Sports Complex, at the same rate as the total local sales tax rate, currently three-quarters of one percent, provided that if the local sales tax rate is reduced or raised by voter approval, the local use tax rate shall also be reduced or raised by the same action, such tax to be imposed only if a 3/8ths of one percent sales tax for improving, renovating and modernizing the Harry S. Truman Sports Complex, as described in Question One on this ballot, is approved by the voters? A use tax return shall not be required to be filed by persons whose purchases from out-of-state vendors do not in total exceed two thousand dollars in any calendar year.
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Question 2

Post by justin8216 »

Voters eyeball a big fixer-upper
Jackson Countians get to see the warts within Arrowhead
By JAMES A. FUSSELL
The Kansas City Star
What if they gave a tour and nobody came?

It wasn’t quite that bad Saturday at Arrowhead Stadium, where officials gave dozens of Jackson County voters behind-the-scenes tours of deteriorating infrastructure in advance of next month’s vote on stadium renovations and a rolling roof

But it was hardly a crowd.

“Where are all the people?â€
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

From what I've heard, the rolling roof idea is much more popular than what's in question 1. People would pass it on its own. But, instead, they made the passage of the evil question a prerequisite. It's always something.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

So I am looking at the rendering of the roof in the Star today when for the first time I noticed the inspiration for the rolling roof - Its a giant replica of the Sooner Schooner.  Check it out, this thing seriously looks like a massive covered wagon.  Is the idea to get more OU/KU football games? 

Imagine your next cross country flight.  You tell your seatmate that you are from Kansas City; his response - "oh yeah, the city with the giant covered wagon, right?". 

Hee Haw!
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Mini-poll:  Who thinks KC could compete for a Final Four if the roof is approved?

My thoughts:  St Louis hosted the event last year.  I remember the city was watching things very closely.  Apparently the concern was "Can the Downtown handle the crowd," since that's where the games were (at the Ed Dome).  If this is a concern of the NCAA--enough facilities next to the venue--then does KC qualify if the venue is the TSC?  We all know what's around it.  Everyone would have to drive to the TSC, then go party somewhere else, then drive back for another game.  I'm not saying it wouldn't work...but that's what the NCAA's concern (or at least St Louis' concern) was last year.  I was around much for KC's "glory years" hosting Final Fours, but I think things may have changed since then.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Kard wrote: Mini-poll:  Who thinks KC could compete for a Final Four if the roof is approved?
Or, you could start an actual poll.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

bahua wrote: Or, you could start an actual poll.
Otay.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: So I am looking at the rendering of the roof in the Star today when for the first time I noticed the inspiration for the rolling roof - Its a giant replica of the Sooner Schooner.  Check it out, this thing seriously looks like a massive covered wagon.  Is the idea to get more OU/KU football games? 

Imagine your next cross country flight.  You tell your seatmate that you are from Kansas City; his response - "oh yeah, the city with the giant covered wagon, right?". 
i prefer comparing the roof to a "ridged potato chip"... i think the star used that the other day.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: i prefer comparing the roof to a "ridged potato chip"... i think the star used that the other day.
I don't know, its screaming prairie schooner to me.  They should add some giant wagon wheels alongside for extra architectural detail. 
Last edited by LenexatoKCMO on Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I don't know, its screaming prarie schooner to me.  They should add some giant wagon wheels alongside for extra archiectural detail. 
great idea, considering we just recently stopped being culturally insensitive to native americans (see: chiefs chop, or whatever the hell that gesture was called).
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: great idea, considering we just recently stopped being culturally insensitive to native americans (see: chiefs chop, or whatever the hell that gesture was called).
We could invite some local tribes to come in full war costume on game days and stand on the hillside overlooking the wagon.  That would surely add to the ambience.