www.SaveOurOwners.com

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: www.SaveOurOwners.com

Post by GRID »

children...

anyway, there is a story about this website in the Examiner as well.

This is what I don't get about Glorioso and all the other people running this stadium deal.

Why does a downtown stadium have to be some sort of personal, financial gain issue in order for people to support it according to these people?  That just pisses me off, if anybody is getting money under the table, it's Jackson County leaders.

I obviously disagree with the saveourowners site, I think it helps nobody but I also disagree with just about everything Jackson County has done so far to resolve this issue and do what is in the best interest of the teams and more importantly the region and the taxpayers.

Stadium supporters not laughing at Web site

By James Dornbrook
The Examiner

The Save Our Stadiums committee, which supports tax proposals for renovating the Truman Sports Complex, is seriously irked about a satirical Web site poking fun at their efforts.

The Web site, www.saveourowners.com, contains daily stories written in jest and designed to encourage citizens to vote against sales taxes for renovations at the Truman Sports Complex.

Stories often portray Chiefs Owner Lamar Hunt and Royals Owner David Glass as poor, destitute and in need of charity. Headlines include: "Glass Irritated Over Metro Fare Increase," and "Study: Downtown Ballparks Cause Cancer." The stories are written in a satirical style similar to those found in the online publication, "The Onion."

Authors of the stories for Save Our Owners write under assumed names, such as Wallace T. Hardcopy, Fenton Crackshell and William Bucksworth. Their real identities are not revealed anywhere on the Web site, raising the ire of stadium campaign supporters.

"We don't think this is a joke," said Steve Glorioso, Save Our Stadiums campaign spokesperson. "Where we have concern is they've gone beyond just opposing this issue with satire, and have now done interviews on radio and in newspapers opposing the tax. Their Web site and media interviews are a clear form of campaigning as defined in Missouri statute. Also, on the bottom of their web site they have a link where people can print out yard signs."

Glorioso said the law is clear that if a group is campaigning, citizens have a right to know who they are.

"We are now pretty certain they are a group of downtown real estate people who want this proposal defeated so they can put in place a downtown stadium. If that is the case, then the public ought to know this is their motive," Glorioso said. "People should know the real reason they exist. That they want to sell real estate downtown to build a stadium."

The Examiner contacted a man known only as "William Bucksworth," a writer for www.saveourowners.com, who stated he believes the activities of his group do not violate any laws. He declined any further comment, stating his organization granted an exclusive interview to The Pitch Weekly, which didn't reveal their identities.

Glorioso said his organization filed a formal complaint with the Missouri Ethics Commission, to get Save Our Owners to disclose their identities.

"Everyone is following the rules but these guys," Glorioso said. "If they are local, then why not come out into the open? If they are downtown stadium boosters, are they embarrassed to go public?"

Reach James Dornbrook at james.dornbrook@examiner.net or (816) 350-6322.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

bwahahah

i think this satirical website is the least that can be done to balance out all of the noise i hear daily about

SAVE OUR TEAMS!

it's [glow=red,2,300]bloody[/glow] everywhere...
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

This speculation by Glorioso about the motives of www.saveourowners.com is ridiculous. Its quite clear that the group behind it is terrorists who hate America!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
TheNorthlander
New York Life
New York Life

Post by TheNorthlander »

After reading what was in the Examiner, I have to say that I am more convinced that the DTC endorsement was wrong, wrong, wrong.  I can't beleive the DTC folks are happy being the punching bag for Glorioso. 

That's the real joke.
"Keep the Status-Quo! Yes on 1, No on 2!" - Jackson County Voters
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Glorioso is a fat ass stuck in the past.  Get over it man, you've got $2 million dollars, start going door to door buying votes!!
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I just hope these guys don't cave to the baseless posturing being done by the saveourstadiums people.

All I see, in this situation, is a group of people that are just expressing their opinions, at the request of the local media. I doubt they are begging anyone to put them on the radio.

As for the website, all I see is an assortment of satire that lampoons a well-funded campaign. MO campaign laws require a campaign group to declare themselves publicly only if their total expenditures exceed $500. They have said that they paid $9 for the website. I can't imagine that a limo would push them over that limit, but as I see it, that doesn't even apply, because they're not campaigning.

So, what are they doing that's illegal? It seems to me that all they're doing is getting a spotlight without payola.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

By getting his paranoid rant out in all the local mainstream media, Glorioso has now given saveourowners.com massive publicity to thousands of people who otherwise might have never heard of it.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

scooterj wrote: By getting his paranoid rant out in all the local mainstream media, Glorioso has now given saveourowners.com massive publicity to thousands of people who otherwise might have never heard of it.
For being a supposed media and public manipulation genius, he seems to have misfired on this one.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

BTW I only personally know of one person who intends to vote YES on these measures.   Or, should I say, "intended".   He was a little ticked when I pointed out that because he fled Jackson County last year he doesn't get to vote in this election.  :lol:
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Has anyone actually sent mittens to Arrowhead?  I'm going to find some and send them over this weekend.  Pity the mailroom clerk who has to deal with them!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Wow. Chef, I have always thought you were a cool guy...we disagree about some stuff and agree about other stuff, but I've always thought you were reasonable, and when you left I missed you and wanted you to come back. But I just can't respect someone who wishes ill on other people for engaging in free speech. I mean, you're basically saying these people don't deserve to have rights, because you don't like what they're saying. And that, man...that is just the lowest of the low. It is contrary to everything we're supposed to believe in and hold dear. I totally respect being frustrated by them, given that you fundamentally disagree with their argument; but wishing them big fines and lawsuits? I really can't believe you're that upset about a web site. Get a grip, buddy. Take some deep breaths. Jeez.

Anyway, yeah, I perceive that Glorioso is messing up big time. These guys are under no legal obligation to come forward, at least unless the laws change, which they certainly won't before the vote (yes, I'm a dork, I went and read the legislation). So bringing the web site address before the public is a shamefully stupid thing for a supposed political genius to be doing. Which, I mean, I think that's freaking great, but I have to wonder, what the hell is he thinking?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

One thing that's funny is that my desk is about 20 feet from Jack Steadman's desk.   Because of the zig-zag corners of the building I work in, my glass-walled office is  catty-corner to his and we can see right into each other's spaces.   So whenever I am posting anything negative about the tax, I keep catching myself glancing over my shoulder.  :)
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

mean wrote: Wow. Chef, I have always thought you were a cool guy...we disagree about some stuff and agree about other stuff, but I've always thought you were reasonable, and when you left I missed you and wanted you to come back. But I just can't respect someone who wishes ill on other people for engaging in free speech. I mean, you're basically saying these people don't deserve to have rights, because you don't like what they're saying. And that, man...that is just the lowest of the low. It is contrary to everything we're supposed to believe in and hold dear. I totally respect being frustrated by them, given that you fundamentally disagree with their argument; but wishing them big fines and lawsuits? I really can't believe you're that upset about a web site. Get a grip, buddy. Take some deep breaths. Jeez.

Anyway, yeah, I perceive that Glorioso is messing up big time. These guys are under no legal obligation to come forward, at least unless the laws change, which they certainly won't before the vote (yes, I'm a dork, I went and read the legislation). So bringing the web site address before the public is a shamefully stupid thing for a supposed political genius to be doing. Which, I mean, I think that's freaking great, but I have to wonder, what the hell is he thinking?
sorry bro, i just call it like i see it, and that is what i am doing here. the saveourstadiums people are running a campaign, getting paid to do so, but that takes hard work, no matter who is paying the bill. and to design a website based on satire just to irritate hard working people that are earning their money, is i guess, legally protected, we will find out here soon.

but, to talk shit, and just sit back and criticize everything, all the while supporting ideas that the goverment, team owners, sensible media, and business community as a whole, do not support, all the while, you do nothing but critcize, and fail to mobilize a real campaign, that is lazy, apathetic, and bs. the downtown stadium supporters could get a clue, they could get donations from the big money intrests in kc that support their cause, 810, 980, other dt groups, spend that money on a counter campaign, it is not that hard. legally, to run any campaign, for a politician, or for any cause, for or against, is real easy, you register your names with your domain, address, contact info, collect capital, log where the money comes from and where it goes, and when the campaign is over, show a zero balance, or turn over the assets and liabilities to the receiever. real easy.

but what these clowns are doing, is even easier. because it takes no effort to sit at a pc, point, and click. we all know, we all do it with our jobs nowadays. hell, it is how i find time to do this forum.

glorioso, is doing the same as he did with the arena campaign. he is attacking the counter campaign, then it was enterprise, now, it is two people with a computer, spare time, and disregard for campaign laws ( or so it would seem )

glorioso is running a great campaign, just as he did with the arena, and you guys are so petty in saying you no longer respect the man, that is how you speak of everyone who does not support downtown baseball, mayor, dtc, glorioso, star, wdaf, the list is endless. even your beloved westport flea market, that supports this, some of you who wrote passionately about keeping it, say you will no longer dine there as a result of their support for this.

if you ever respected glorioio, the mayor, dtc, or whomever in the first place, getting behind something they really believe in would not cost you resepect of them. if it does, then, either you never did respect them, or you do not understand respect.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

KCMax wrote: This speculation by Glorioso about the motives of www.saveourowners.com is ridiculous. Its quite clear that the group behind it is terrorists who hate America!
GOP campaign tactics.  Excellent idea for the stadium owners if they wanna get this thing to pass.  Divert attention from the important facts and issues with drama and rhetoric and it'll pass in a land slide. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Thrillcekr wrote: GOP campaign tactics.  Excellent idea for the stadium owners if they wanna get this thing to pass.  Divert attention from the important facts and issues with drama and rhetoric and it'll pass in a land slide. 
you know what is funny is you say gop tactics............

the conservative voters are the last ones i thought i would ever side with in life, but it appears that is who will help pass this one the most.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Then they aren't really very true to conservative ideals, are they?

Anyway, those dudes clearly aren't running a campaign. They're making fun of a campaign. Huge difference, I think. You can dislike and disagree with them all you want, everyone has their reasons for feeling how they feel. The only thing I have a problem with is wishing harm upon them for exercising their rights. That just really, really bothers me. I certainly am voting NO but I would never wish harm upon the YES people, cause in the end we're all just Kansas Citians. Nobody should ever be punished for doing what they think is right, and I'm sorry you feel like they should, when what they think is right is different from you.

Also, you seem to want to characterize these guys as somehow taking the easy way out, but I think you're being naive. I see these guys as being on the cutting edge of a political Free Speech revolution, which even now is being debated in Congress, and, I hope, in which we will learn that blogs are mostly exempt from idiotic campaign law seemingly designed to stifle unfunded grassroots opposition. Why on earth would a couple regular Joes want to expose themselves to the wrath of a super-funded political machine? Are you insane? They would be crushed. It seems to me that only by remaining anonymous can they keep private investigators from digging through their trash and calling their employers and all sorts of awful, but perfectly legal, harrassment and scare tactics.

So, Save Our Owners, if you're reading this, STAY ANONYMOUS!!! You're opposing The Man, and there's a billion dollars on the line. They will do anything they can to get you to shut up. Don't shut up!
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

mean wrote:
Anyway, those dudes clearly aren't running a campaign. They're making fun of a campaign. Huge difference, I think. You can dislike and disagree with them all you want, everyone has their reasons for feeling how they feel. The only thing I have a problem with is wishing harm upon them for exercising their rights. That just really, really bothers me. I certainly am voting NO but I would never wish harm upon the YES people, cause in the end we're all just Kansas Citians. Nobody should ever be punished for doing what they think is right, and I'm sorry you feel like they should, when what they think is right is different from you.
not wishing harm. wishing them to pay the piper and face consequences, if it is determined, they are performing illegal actions, which, they may or may not be. if not, i will just sit here and be sickened by what they are doing, being apathetic trash talkers against a well funded campaign, as opposed to being adults, and going and getting campaign funding of their own to run a campaign.

ahh, how much easier it is to just be apathetic and talk trash on everything.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I see what you're saying, but I don't see how you can call them apathetic. If they were apathetic, why make a web site? Why do anything?

And why would an average Joe with no backing, no funding, no nothing except a valid opinion, go through all that mess of trying to get campaign funding and so forth, when the only result would be that they're targeted by not only some very rich people, but also the very legislators they have to live under!? That's nuts, might as well cut your own throat. You seem to be saying that all well-funded political campaigns are correct, and all dissent should be harrassed and threatened into silence. I think that's BS, man.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

mean wrote: I see what you're saying, but I don't see how you can call them apathetic. If they were apathetic, why make a web site? Why do anything?
i think disent on any campaign is fine, but, this is pathetic, you and i both know if you have computer know how, it takes sheer hours to set up the web page they did. to do what saveourstadiums is doing, takes organization, funding, business know how, planning, and time.

this counter offensive, takes none of that, it is not a counter campaign, it is an attempt to smear 2 men who are asking for what other cities have given their owners, and oh yeah, have both done a great deal for kansas city. everyone wants to tar and feather a man, who, saved the royals, and a man who brought us football, as opposed to just giving them the same thing every other city has.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

You're wrong. They're not smearing anybody. Smearing somebody is telling plausible lies about them to turn public opinion against them. Smearing is not, however, telling completely and obviously fake stories. There is a huge chasm between satire and smearing.

And what you're characterizing as a flaw, I think is the beauty of the internet. You don't have to be--and shouldn't have to be--a big organized campaign to get your voice heard. Why is someone's opinion more valid just because they have the money? It isn't, and you know it. This is not a bad thing! It is perhaps the greatest thing ever!