Question 1

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City

Shall the County of Jackson impose a countywide sales tax at the rate of three-eighths of one percent (3/8%) for a period of twenty-five years from the date on which such tax is first imposed for the purpose of improving, renovating and modernizing the Ha

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 96

KCDevin

Re: Question 1

Post by KCDevin »

I'm not sure about that KCP, people will be greatly hurt if the Chiefs leave, and so will our economy. Plus, who would want to move to a city where we refused to pass taxes that would renovate the stadiums, add a rolling roof, get a super bowl, get an all star game, and even a final four? Many citizens in other cities would kill for that chance.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: KC laughs at the Chiefs.....and does a Cleveland and gets a new team in 4 years.
and KC spends years and ultimately well over a billion (before interest) in bringing another team to town over the next ten years?  especially after the sewer taxes go into effect and city continues to fragment and carry on a urban civil war?

no, KC drops down to a AAA town for baseball, watches NFL on TV and finally lands either the NHL or NBA from another town that played Russian roulette with their sports team.

The KC area is in a war with itself, I don't see some sort of real effort to bring new teams to town when we still have so many other issues we can't seem to figure out.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

But who's going to build an LA stadium? Their mayor has already stated he's against publicly financing one. Unless some investors get together, I don't see it happening.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCPowercat wrote: KC laughs at the Chiefs.....and does a Cleveland and gets a new team in 4 years.
If it comes down to the Chiefs leaving, we could have another football team within a few years of them leaving.  I think KC would be a hot "football market" for any other team looking to relocate.  What is scary, though, is that maybe no team would move to Kansas City if lost the Chiefs.  I am not sure if I am willing to take that chance.
KC is the way to be!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

GRID wrote: and finally lands either the NHL or NBA from another town that played Russian roulette with their sports team.
In your dreams.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

GRID wrote: no, KC drops down to a AAA town for baseball, watches NFL on TV and finally lands either the NHL or NBA from another town that played Russian roulette with their sports team.
Works for me.  We'll get another NFL team if the Chiefs leave.  I'm content with AAA baseball downtown.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

akp, you were like the only one against the arena, we all know that. It is just common sense that we will get NBA or NHL... Which, may I mention, could likely happen if this passes? We would get publicity as a real sports town with these events, plus the Big 12...  May I mention St. Louis has 3 major league teams? (Not counting MLS) Why can't KC? Just because we have 700k less people doesn't mean we can't have 3...
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

lock&load wrote: I'm content with AAA baseball downtown.
come to think of it... :-k

L&L, loose the sig, that's annoying.  too big.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

lock&load wrote: I'm content with AAA baseball downtown.
Did somebody say, "Omaha"?   No football/hockey/basketball team, and an AAA baseball team - that's the kind of Kansas City I want!    :x
KC is the way to be!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCDevin wrote: akp, you were like the only one against the arena, we all know that. It is just common sense that we will get NBA or NHL... Which, may I mention, could likely happen if this passes? We would get publicity as a real sports town with these events, plus the Big 12...  May I mention St. Louis has 3 major league teams? (Not counting MLS) Why can't KC? Just because we have 700k less people doesn't mean we can't have 3...
We loose MLB or NFL, we will have plenty of room for NHL or NBA Devin. ;)
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCMax wrote: But who's going to build an LA stadium? Their mayor has already stated he's against publicly financing one. Unless some investors get together, I don't see it happening.
WAY TOO MUCH MONEY involved with the LA market, one will get privately financed, just like in NYC.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

that could be....that will be up to us voters.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

True GRID, but lets hope we don't lose them... Lets also hope the Chiefs don't do anything other than staying at the TSC.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

GRID wrote: We loose MLB or NFL, we will have plenty of room for NHL or NBA Devin. ;)
I think MLB and NFL fit KC better than NBA and NHL.  If we're only going to have 2 teams, that is.
KC is the way to be!
SouthKC1985
Pad site
Pad site

Post by SouthKC1985 »

.... Chiefs move to another city, change their name as if they were an expanision team to God knows what, they win the Super Bowl in their 6th year of relocation and KC is stuck with a team (named the Chiefs) who wins 4 games every year (5 or 6 if they're lucky) and can't build on anything
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Here is an interesting article.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5452776

Highlights:
Tagliabue would like to see the NFL closer to a deal in LA before he retires.
Cost extimate of new stadium $800M.
The three California teams are not in good stadiums and are seeking new homes.
A large chunk of municipal funding is expected.

Let's see.  Tagliabue retires this summer.  "No" crowd wins next week, lease probably would go into default, Chiefs announce going to LA as a retirement present to Tagliabue.
AKP - as your article mentions - there are three teams in CA that are in a hell of a lot worse stadium situations then a non-renovated arrowhead.  Al Davis only has a couple years on his lease in a looser market.  San Franscisco has been screwing around trying to figure out what in the hell to do with Candlestick for fifteen years with no solution on the horizon; and San Diego has no replacement for qualcomm.  They are all more dire situations with cities that are a lot further along in saying no to their owners than we are. 

Even with the fact that all three of those teams are better candidates for relocation - it still doesn't change the fact that LA wont fork over a dime to build a stadium. 

Keep trying to paint a phantom threat - its just not happening. 
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

SouthKC1985 wrote: .... Chiefs move to another city, change their name as if they were an expanision team to God knows what, they win the Super Bowl in their 6th year of relocation and KC is stuck with a team (named the Chiefs) who wins 4 games every year (5 or 6 if they're lucky) and can't build on anything
Not being sarcastic here, but you know this is what would happen if the Chiefs go to LA!!!   Reasons:

1. It's KC's luck to have this happen!!!
2. It's LA's luck to have this happen!!!
KC is the way to be!
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

According to Micheal Mahoney on KMBC, the total cost of Question 1 alone over 25 years will be $1.2 billion.  That includes interest and the $425 million principal.
Image[br] Asked to reduce signature size ignored.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Good lock&load finally got warned! Kepp your signature lock&load, maybe you can get muted.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

KansasCityCraka wrote: Good lock&load finally got warned! Kepp your signature lock&load, maybe you can get muted.
Proud to have become one of the elite :)