Downtown Council, Mayor Barnes supporting TSC renovations?

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Downtown Council, Mayor Barnes supporting TSC renovations?

Post by Burton »

Respond to your false KC vs. Atlanta assertion.
kcdcchef wrote: either way, i asked you to put up something saying the team, and the city, had said it. you have still failed to do that.
Wrong again...
kcdcchef wrote: show me one goddamn article in PRINT IN ANY PAPER ANYWHERE that shows where mlb is forcing the rays or the jays or any team out of their stadium.
Nowhere did I say the Blue Jays wanted a new stadium, if you want me to quote myself AGAIN, then here please pay attention this time...
"Toronto, Tampa Bay, New York (Mets not approved yet), Los Angeles, Miami (or wherever they move), all are MLB markets which could have new stadiums within the next 10 years."
I point to falling attendance numbers, falling stadium revenues, and the fact that its the last in the long line of the cookie cutter disasters, as my OPINION that Toronto will be looking to move or build new within 10 years.

Chef, all you have to do is get your shit together, come with substantiated arguements void of false facts and stats, read my entire posts, and I will quit calling you out.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Burton wrote: 2000
Republican Convention: Wachovia Center in Philly. Basketball Seating Capacity = 21,600  160 suites
Democratic Convention: Staples Center in LA. Basketball Seating Capacity = 20,000  126 suites

Republican Convention: MSG in New York City. Basketball Seating Capacity = 19,763  89 suites
Democratic Convention: TD Banknorth Garden in Boston. Basketball Seating Capacity = 18,624  104 suites

Sprint Center Basketball Seating Capacity = 18,449  72 suites

Sprint is about the same as Boston, and I don't think its so much smaller than Philly, LA, and NYC, that it'd make that huge of a difference. I think if you combine all the space at Sprint Center, Municipal, and Bartle, along with KCLive, all the hotels, restaurants, and businesses all within walking distance, downtown is a much more attractive convention spot.
Have you ever seen a convention setup?  Much of the floor space and some of the seating is taken up by the stage.  So seating capacity becomes quite a bit smaller than the basketball seating capacity.  What one has to look at is not just the size of the arena but the area around it.  There are numerous trailers for TV and press.  Adjacent to the arena, not blocks away.  Press areas.  Staffing areas.  Meeting rooms.  All with direct access to an arena, not blocks away.  And there are not enough hotel rooms dt to make a difference - in fact it is probably a drawback.  Have not seen the latest RFP's for the conventions so I do not know what the current requirements are.  The last ones I saw were for 1988 and 1992.

Yes, there are very few acceptable hotel rooms nearby TSC but putting a whole package together, along with political considerations, will help persuade to selection committee.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Burton wrote:

Chef, all you have to do is get your shit together, come with substantiated arguements void of false facts and stats, read my entire posts, and I will quit calling you out.
again, this thread is about the truman sports complex. you have yet to prove kc is less auto dependant then a city bigger by 2 times, and oh yeah, they have a succesful light rail, and, again, a resident that lives there, said you are wrong. but, typical youth, you know more about the city of atlanta than someone who lives there. gotta love being in your early twenties AND KNOWING EVERYTHING.
Burton wrote:
Nowhere did I say the Blue Jays wanted a new stadium, if you want me to quote myself AGAIN, then here please pay attention this time...
"Toronto, Tampa Bay, New York (Mets not approved yet), Los Angeles, Miami (or wherever they move), all are MLB markets which could have new stadiums within the next 10 years."
I point to falling attendance numbers, falling stadium revenues, and the fact that its the last in the long line of the cookie cutter disasters, as my OPINION that Toronto will be looking to move or build new within 10 years.
yup. just like your opinion on tropicana. and your opinion on the 4th oldest stadium in mlb, dodger stadium.

how about the fact that you said yankee stadium had nothing signed on it? were you too busy adding up how many days old the rogers centre was to figure out you were wrong on that??
aknowledgeableperson wrote: Have you ever seen a convention setup?  .
whether he has or not, he someday will design all the arenas that hold these conventions.

back to the tsc, PLEASE.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The point I was trying to make earlier was that with an enclosed stadium and the surrounding area it might make a good convention location for either the Rep or the Dem.  Also that the Sprint Center might not be big enough.  The counter was that the Sprint Center would be big enough.

So the posting was about TSC.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: The point I was trying to make earlier was that with an enclosed stadium and the surrounding area it might make a good convention location for either the Rep or the Dem.  Also that the Sprint Center might not be big enough.  The counter was that the Sprint Center would be big enough.

i liked your thread about saveourdowntown.com, sorry it got closed down, and the bullshit of william, fenton, and wallace stays open. too bad. nice post though. but, the ardent dt supporters who keep that crap going, wanted that thread to die fast, and, with noone making real comments, it was doomed. oh well.

i was hoping to register to vote on this matter, but my next kc trip is only a day and a half, and AFTER registering closed. oh well.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: The point I was trying to make earlier was that with an enclosed stadium and the surrounding area it might make a good convention location for either the Rep or the Dem.  Also that the Sprint Center might not be big enough.  The counter was that the Sprint Center would be big enough.

I see what your saying about this...

Basically,(in terms for burton..since he likes spin off comparisons) much like a basketball final 4 is at an enclosed football stadium, having the TSC renovated would provide the facilties far superior for any political party convention, (even if the sprint center is big enough) and would allow KC to have one (because we could have more people in a stadium than an arena), so a roof is good, blah blah blah, just vote yes.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Have you ever seen a convention setup?  Much of the floor space and some of the seating is taken up by the stage.  So seating capacity becomes quite a bit smaller than the basketball seating capacity.  What one has to look at is not just the size of the arena but the area around it.  There are numerous trailers for TV and press.  Adjacent to the arena, not blocks away.  Press areas.  Staffing areas.  Meeting rooms.  All with direct access to an arena, not blocks away.  And there are not enough hotel rooms dt to make a difference - in fact it is probably a drawback.  Have not seen the latest RFP's for the conventions so I do not know what the current requirements are.  The last ones I saw were for 1988 and 1992.

Yes, there are very few acceptable hotel rooms nearby TSC but putting a whole package together, along with political considerations, will help persuade to selection committee.
Sorry, I thought you were speaking of room inside the venue. In that case Sprint Center will probably have more room around it than MSG and Boston, but less than Staples and Philly.
kcdcchef wrote: you have yet to prove kc is less auto dependant then a city bigger by 2 times, and oh yeah, they have a succesful light rail, and, again, a resident that lives there, said you are wrong. but, typical youth, you know more about the city of atlanta than someone who lives there.
Lived in Atlanta for 10 years, thanks. And I will post a link for the THIRD time now that shows Atlanta is more auto-dependent. Please read it this time.
http://www.transact.org/report.asp?id=42   Atlanta #2, KC #9.

Also, if that's not enough for you, look at page 47 of this report...
http://www.citistates.com/kcreport.pdf
Pay special attention to the part about Atlanta residents having the LONGEST average commute in the WORLD. If KC was more auto dependent than Atlanta, why would this report be warning Kansas City to pay attention to what is happening in Atlanta?
kcdcchef wrote: yup. just like your opinion on tropicana. and your opinion on the 4th oldest stadium in mlb, dodger stadium.

how about the fact that you said yankee stadium had nothing signed on it? were you too busy adding up how many days old the rogers centre was to figure out you were wrong on that??
I'll stick with my opinion and Bud Selig's opinion on Tropicana.
As for Dodger Stadium, I'll be man enough to admit I made a mistake on that one. I was going off older information before I knew about the McCourt family buying the team and sinking a shitload of money into renovations. Kudos to you on that one!
Yankee Stadium, sorry you misread one of my posts once again, so here it is for you...
kcdcchef wrote: gotta love being in your early twenties AND KNOWING EVERYTHING.

whether he has or not, he someday will design all the arenas that hold these conventions.
Again, more unnecessary bitterness, jealousy, and anger. Keep on trying to shit on my degree program and career path. People will really respect you for trying to take away somebody's passion for what they want to do in life!
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

[
im2kull wrote: I see what your saying about this...

Basically,(in terms for burton..since he likes spin off comparisons) much like a basketball final 4 is at an enclosed football stadium, having the TSC renovated would provide the facilties far superior for any political party convention, (even if the sprint center is big enough) and would allow KC to have one (because we could have more people in a stadium than an arena), so a roof is good, blah blah blah, just vote yes.
nice post im2kull. 
Burton wrote: .
Lived in Atlanta for 10 years, thanks. 
what, as a kid at home?

Burton wrote:    
Again, more unnecessary bitterness, jealousy, and anger. Keep on trying to shit on my degree program and career path. People will really respect you for trying to take away somebody's passion for what they want to do in life!
what jealousy? of a kid in college, that has not graduated, calling out my career choice, who, thinks he will graduate with the best job in his field versus earning his stripes like the rest of us? dude, do not make me laugh.

Burton wrote:
"Toronto,  , New York (Mets not approved yet),
so, you are not standing by your comments on yankee stadium and rogers centre? intresting. i like that, you are diverting to the mets now. in your defense, you half ass attempted to do both yankees and mets earlier, and now are on to just mets. and have dropped the blue jays alltogether. good for you.

WE ARE SPEAKING ABOUT THE TRUMAN SPORTS COMPLEX, SINCE  YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THAT A CITY LIKE ATLANTA IS MORE EXPENSIVE TO LIVE IN, FACTORED IN WITH PAYING TO PARK AT TRAIN STATIONS, HOME, AND WORK, ALONG WITH TRAIN FARES, EVEN THOUGH YOU SAID IT YOURSELF, LONG COMMUTE ( LARGE CITY = LARGE SUBURBS =LONG COMMUTE )

I AM DONE TALKING WITH YOU ABOUT THIS. TRUMAN SPORTS COMPLEX PLEASE. THANK YOU.
Last edited by kcdcchef on Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

I'll move on Chef, because this is getting nowhere. But in regards to your previous comments about me "calling out" and "bashing" your career choice, I'll reference my previous posts about it.
Burton wrote: Never bashed your cooking education, in fact I said it was quite impressive, just saying that I'll take what I've learned from people with doctorals in Urban Planning and Architecture, along with people that work in this field against whatever education, or lack thereof you've had on the subject.

which again is why I'll take what I've learned in 4.5 years of Urban Planning & Architecture classes against your whacky stats and information. Other than that, if you want to continue being bitter, jealous, and downright rude about my education and career path, instead of encouraging a young person interested in these things, then that's your choice, and will only make others take you less seriously.
Burton wrote: I'm not worried at all about the marketplace for new stadiums and ballparks when I get into the field. And correct me here if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure that one of your professors was employed at the library grill in boston, in my case an architect from 360 and another that is a partner at the Foss Seligson Lafferty firm, or that you had chefs from your dreamjob restaurants critiquing your projects and work, or that your culinary program was located in the city and worked hand in hand with your industry's leading companies, offering you great "ins" for interning and post graduate job opportunities. So if you were being fecesious about where I'll be in 10 years, then I'm sorry you doubt my commitment and feel that way.
Burton wrote: [/b]
That is pathetic. If you were about to spend a shitload of money on a house, and the realtor gave you a list of whats inside the house, but refused to take you to the house for a tour, or show you pictures of it, would you just "be happy" about just seeing a list. Lame. You can keep arguing all you want with me but I'll take my 4.5 years of urban planning & architecture classes, and my meetings with planners & architects from some of the above mentioned firms, against your (cooking degree?).
Burton wrote: Your education is impressive, but we're not talking about cooking or the culinary arts here. It'd be like one of my Urban Planning professors with a doctoral trying to argue with you about the right spices and herbs on a chicken dish.
If you can find something in there where I specifically "bash you" or "call you out" please let me know, because it wasn't intended that way. Several times I applauded your education, it's a great achievement, and I can't wait until I'm graduated and in the professional field (even though you don't think I'm going to make it). I think you misunderstood my first question about it the "cooking degree?" statement as a callout, which I apologize that you took it that way, I was simply asking what your educational degree was, and how it was relevant to the topic of discussion in this thread, and saying that my education and career path are relevant to the topic of discussion.

One more thing, you keep saying how it's impossible for me to get into one of the big firms right out of college, right? Well I'm done in 2 years, so if you take the 10 years in my original statement, subtract my 2 remaining years of school, that gives me 8 years to work my way up to that point. But that probably means nothing to you, because my passion and commitment to doing it, along with some of the opportunities I'll have from the internships, and relationships to the local firms don't matter anyways, because you're always going to cut me and those things down.

Hopefully you can get over your anger and bitterness towards me, and quit trying to knock me and what I hope to do in the professional field down, and we can start having a more reasonable dialogue. And if you want, I'll buy you a Boulevard Wheat next time you're in town to show there's no hard feelings here.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Burton wrote:

Hopefully you can get over your anger and bitterness towards me, and quit trying to knock me and what I hope to do in the professional field down, and we can start having a more reasonable dialogue. And if you want, I'll buy you a Boulevard Wheat next time you're in town to show there's no hard feelings here.
dude, there are none. i am not into that crap. a lot of us have discussed this shit into the ground in many other threads, and how we all get pissed off, irked, and other crap like that, and just remind ourselves, THIS IS JUST A FORUM, so, noone should get their feelings hurt. if i catch you on opening day ( if i get to go, fingers crossed ) you are just as welcome as anyone else to come by the tailgating and say hey, or we can hook up for first fridays, whatever.
Burton wrote:
One more thing, you keep saying how it's impossible for me to get into one of the big firms right out of college, right? Well I'm done in 2 years, so if you take the 10 years in my original statement, subtract my 2 remaining years of school, that gives me 8 years to work my way up to that point. But that probably means nothing to you, because my passion and commitment to doing it, along with some of the opportunities I'll have from the internships, and relationships to the local firms don't matter anyways, because you're always going to cut me and those things down.
i wish you the best of luck in your career, and hope you go far, and achieve your dreams. that is me being honest, and truthful. i felt you took a shot or two at me, and returned fire. and oh yeah, was trying to share some real life experience with you with regards to a career, of any kind........................it is a bitch getting started in life.

either way, peace.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Burton wrote: I'll move on Chef, because this is getting nowhere.
You need to learn that every conversation with Chef goes in that direction.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: You need to learn that every conversation with Chef goes in that direction.
hey max. you busy reading the star finding articles to post in the forum??
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Chef once won an argument with a two year old.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I haven't gotten to the Star yet this morning.

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

lock&load wrote: Chef once won an argument with a two year old.
lockandload probably looks cool to two year olds.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Your mom goes to college.

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KCMax wrote: I haven't gotten to the Star yet this morning.
there are all kinds of stories you can post, do not worry. i look forward to reading them a second time, like normal.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I feel like this is supposed to be some sort of insult, but I don't know why it is. Is there something wrong with posting KC Star articles? I've seen others post Star articles here, I thought it was okay to post them if they were relevant.

BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

KCMax wrote: Your mom goes to college.
Dude, that made me laugh my ass off and I don't know how man people will actually pick up on that but nice usage of some Kip quotes...
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

KCMax wrote: I feel like this is supposed to be some sort of insult, but I don't know why it is. Is there something wrong with posting KC Star articles? I've seen others post Star articles here, I thought it was okay to post them if they were relevant.
There isn't anything wrong with it.  Most of us appreciate it.