Downtown Council, Mayor Barnes supporting TSC renovations?

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Downtown Council, Mayor Barnes supporting TSC renovations?

Post by lock+load »

According to this editorial in the Star today, the Downtown Council "has recommended that voters support improvements to the Truman Sports Complex."

What a wonderful organization we have representing downtown.  I guess they are too busy planning the Planet Sub ribbon cutting to actually do something meaningful for downtown.  At the least, just keep your mouths shut.

At the same time, Mayor Barnes was on hand yesterday to kick off the drive to pass the renovation tax.  And what a great quote from her to motivate everyone in Jackson County, Missouri to vote yes: "What if the Jayhawks - or maybe the Tigers - could make it to the Final Four, and that Final Four was held right here in Kansas City?"

Apparently when push comes to shove, Barnes would rather cave to pressure as well, rather than continue her drive to reinvent downtown.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Downtown Council, Mayor Barnes supporting TSC renovations?

Post by KCMax »

"What if the Jayhawks - or maybe the Tigers - could make it to the Final Four, and that Final Four was held right here in Kansas City?"

Well now we know she's gone insane. I can't trust anything she says anymore!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Is there a non-basketball sport that has a known event called the "final four," that would somehow have something in the world to do with the TSC?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

bahua wrote: Is there a non-basketball sport that has a known event called the "final four," that would somehow have something in the world to do with the TSC?
I think her notion is that if we put a nasty dome on arrowhead, we would have a shot at the final four because we could offer a giant, oversized, crap-ass venue for it a la Edward Jones Dome.  Hopefully the NCAA will wise up to just how ill-suited football domes really are to watching bball and discontinue the practice long before any Arrowdome conversion would be completed. 
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Arrowdome!
that has a nice ring to it  :shock:
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

[me=bahua]practices voting "no" on a test-chad.[/me]
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

When will our new electronic voting machines be ready?

Question 1:
-Yes Votes:    1,342,845,243
-No Votes:    -4,923
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The Sprint Center would be great for the Final Four if the NCAA would ever get rid of the 50,000 seat minimum requirement or whatever it is.  Some of the best games were at Kemper, where you actually have a crowd near the court instead of stacked up out to BFE.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

dangerboy wrote: The Sprint Center would be great for the Final Four if the NCAA would ever get rid of the 50,000 seat minimum requirement or whatever it is.  Some of the best games were at Kemper, where you actually have a crowd near the court instead of stacked up out to BFE.
yeah, but just wave of the future, the ncaa wants 56-80,000 venues as opposed to smaller ones, more revenue, MUCH more revenue. and why not.

i think with kansas city's rich history of the ncaa and even the final four, we would get one at arrowhead hands down. like it or not, we are NOT getting a final four at sprint center, EVER. and i know people that have been to one of these mega final fours at a football venue, and said it was really cool.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

I wonder if GRID is still thinking that Cauthen is still working on a DT stadium since his boss is for TSC?

NCAA will never give up the big stadiums as long as the ticket demand is there.  30,000 to 35,000 tickets times two sessions times $50, or whatever the ticket price is.  Way too much money to pass up.

Oh, I know, LenexatoKCMO could by all of the tickets that couldn't be sold each year on the condition that the Final Four returns to an arena.  That way the NCAA could be made whole.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: I wonder if GRID is still thinking that Cauthen is still working on a DT stadium since his boss is for TSC?
Hate to tell you this, but barnes is for a downtown stadium too.  What do you expect her to do?

I just said the city would take over negotiations and a downtown stadium would become a top priority if it fails.  But most people think it will not be the end of the world if the vote passes either.

If it passes, the city will move on and do things like the PAC, arena etc and be glad the teams and stadiums are teaken care of.

If it fails, there are several key people in the city and in the business community that are ready to step up to the plate and bring the Royals downtown.

The city will then have another big issue on its plate to deal with, something a lot of people would just not deal with (renovate tsc and be done with it) and people don't want to step on toes, even though they probably should and some tried, to no avail.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

GRID wrote: Hate to tell you this, but barnes is for a downtown stadium too.  What do you expect her to do?
she endorsed the tsc. nice way to show her support of a dt park grid.
GRID wrote:

If it fails, there are several key people in the city and in the business community that are ready to step up to the plate and bring the Royals downtown.

if it fails, by less then 10%, it will be back on the ballot within one year.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

GRID wrote: Hate to tell you this, but barnes is for a downtown stadium too.  What do you expect her to do?
I think not.  If she really wanted a DT stadium, she'd keep her fat mouth shut on the renovations. 
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

now in all seriousness, no flame war needed here, i want honest opinions, and honest answers. not shit talking, not a bunch of horseshit like that. just your honest opinions.

i think, and believe, this thing will either pass, marginally, or fail, marginally.

does anyone really believe that if it fails, marginally, say, less then 10%, that it will not be back on a ballot again? do you guys really think a 52-48 against in a poorly run campaign, would make everyone of key note support a dt park all of the sudden?
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

kcdcchef wrote: i think, and believe, this thing will either pass, marginally, or fail, marginally.

does anyone really believe that if it fails, marginally, say, less then 10%, that it will not be back on a ballot again? do you guys really think a 52-48 against in a poorly run campaign, would make everyone of key note support a dt park all of the sudden?
I think everyone agrees that it will be very close.  Do you think they are going to come back with the exact same plan in August?  How will people have changed their minds in four months?  I think that gives the opposition more ammo against it, trying to shove something down the throats of people that already voted against it.

I think it will return in altered form...maybe the $60-80 million "band-aid" option will be considered.  I do not think a downtown stadium will become suddenly popular.  I think getting through 2015 with the current leases and planning on opening a new park downtown in 2016 would be the best plan.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I think it will fail with about 60% saying no.

If they can't get this to pass this time around with their "poorly-run campaign" that had a $1.6+ million budget, then they need to wake up.  Unfortunatly...I think the County Legislature lacks the brains and the balls to stand up to the teams and say "Look--they didn't want it, lets try for cheaper".  It will come back in the next election in a similar form.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Kard wrote: I think it will fail with about 60% saying no.

If they can't get this to pass this time around with their "poorly-run campaign" that had a $1.6+ million budget, then they need to wake up.  Unfortunatly...I think the County Legislature lacks the brains and the balls to stand up to the teams and say "Look--they didn't want it, lets try for cheaper".  It will come back in the next election in a similar form.
amazing how that number just keeps going up. i hear different figures every day on this now. intresting..................
lock&load wrote: I think everyone agrees that it will be very close. Do you think they are going to come back with the exact same plan in August? How will people have changed their minds in four months? I think that gives the opposition more ammo against it, trying to shove something down the throats of people that already voted against it.

I think it will return in altered form...maybe the $60-80 million "band-aid" option will be considered. I do not think a downtown stadium will become suddenly popular. I think getting through 2015 with the current leases and planning on opening a new park downtown in 2016 would be the best plan.
i think one more thing those of you who are wanting a downtown stadium so bad should consider is present leases are 17 years old, so, by thinking of that, you would not even have to wait til 2030 or 2040 to get a dt stadium, probably closer to 2020.

do i think the band aid will be considered if it fails? well, i would say it would have to be. but remember, look at minnesotta, florida, other cities with problems getting a stadium funded...............they keep reintroducing it on the ballot, and reintroducing. so, why do you honestly not feel that within 6-12 months, it will not come back again? it does in other cities.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

kcdcchef wrote: ...so, why do you honestly not feel that within 6-12 months, it will not come back again? it does in other cities.
Maybe I'm mis-understanding you, but we both just said it would be back on the ballot soon, if this one fails.

As for the funding, I saw a story in another thread.  I don't know if that's it or not; I'm sure there will be some private donations, etc.:  http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/newforum/h ... 52#p130152
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

lock&load wrote: According to this editorial in the Star today, the Downtown Council "has recommended that voters support improvements to the Truman Sports Complex."

What a wonderful organization we have representing downtown.  I guess they are too busy planning the Planet Sub ribbon cutting to actually do something meaningful for downtown.  At the least, just keep your mouths shut.

At the same time, Mayor Barnes was on hand yesterday to kick off the drive to pass the renovation tax.  And what a great quote from her to motivate everyone in Jackson County, Missouri to vote yes: "What if the Jayhawks - or maybe the Tigers - could make it to the Final Four, and that Final Four was held right here in Kansas City?"

Apparently when push comes to shove, Barnes would rather cave to pressure as well, rather than continue her drive to reinvent downtown.
Why would she endorse something that is wildly unpopular and a political third rail? This isn't her battle to fight. Talking trash about the renovations does nothing to move a downtown stadium closer. It'd be different if she didn't have people actively working to stop a downtown stadium. It'd also be different if the Royals hadn't completely whimped out.

It's pretty obvious the current ballot issue is very underwhelming. But until the downtown stadium issue can be endorsed by the Royals and appropriately packaged to the public, the TSC complex pipe dream/disater/Chiefs' party will march on.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

trailerkid wrote: Why would she endorse something that is wildly unpopular and a political third rail? This isn't her battle to fight. Talking trash about the renovations does nothing to move a downtown stadium closer. It'd be different if she didn't have people actively working to stop a downtown stadium. It'd also be different if the Royals hadn't completely whimped out.

It's pretty obvious the current ballot issue is very underwhelming. But until the downtown stadium issue can be endorsed by the Royals and appropriately packaged to the public, the TSC complex pipe dream/disater/Chiefs' party will march on.

Perhaps there's a deal with the city and the county....if you support my plan, I'll support your's later on.  ?  That would be neat.  Pure speculation, of course.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator