Is voting YES for renovations really a good thing or a bad thing?

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Is voting YES for renovations really a good thing or a bad thing?

Post by BVC »

State line hysteria and the teams will move hysteria aside, how can renovating be a good thing for the KC area?  I say vote no so that there is a realistic shot at the next proposal being done the right way with a downtown baseball stadium as part of the plans.  Build Arrowhead anywhere or renovate it as it stands, I don't care.  But when I come back to KC quite often to visit friends and family, I gotta say, the only thing that would take me to a Royals game would be if they were downtown...
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Is voting YES for renovations really a good thing or a bad thing?

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Forget about all of the misc. details, just make it simple.  Concerning this forum the two choices are rehabbing TSC or build new.  Rehabbing TSC will involve less money and therefore less cost to the general taxpayer.  Building a new baseball stadium and build new/rehab a football stadium will involve a higher cost to the taxpayer.

There are many other side issues but the above is the main issue put into simple terms.

And voting no does not automatically make a downtown stadium possible, it just doesn't kill it.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

That's not exactly true though. We have more options than just adopting this plan or building downtown. We could scale back the renovations some. We could ask the teams to pay more. We could simply fulfill the obligation on the current lease and lock them in until 2016. We could let the teams go to Kansas. There are other options.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Forget about all of the misc. details, just make it simple.  Concerning this forum the two choices are rehabbing TSC or build new.  Rehabbing TSC will involve less money and therefore less cost to the general taxpayer.  Building a new baseball stadium and build new/rehab a football stadium will involve a higher cost to the taxpayer.

There are many other side issues but the above is the main issue put into simple terms.

And voting no does not automatically make a downtown stadium possible, it just doesn't kill it.
???

All I ask for is to either scale back the renovations to a more modest point AND that the owners split the cost with the tax payers.  It pisses me off that they ask for all this STUFF, and had increased it since the BiState II, even when the tax payer base went down.  They're totally asking for whatever they can get.  That's BS.

Sure, I'd like to see a DT ball park, but I don't think it makes sense financially with a perfectly good ballpark like the K that just needs a little love to make it through the next 10 years or so.  Maybe we can take another look when the current lease is up.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I think if you are a supporter of DT baseball, baseball at the the TSC, baseball in Kansas, concerned about appropriating your tax money wisely, or a supporter of free market economy you should vote NO. The only reason to vote yes is to give these owners an almost free ride to greater profits.

I personally love going to games at the K. I support keeping the teams at TSC. But there is no way in hell I would vote yes for this boondoggle.