No, I Can't Afford It

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
TheNorthlander
New York Life
New York Life

No, I Can't Afford It

Post by TheNorthlander »

Got this in my inbox today.

NO! I CAN'T AFFORD IT! is a legal political action committee. We have registered with the Missouri Ethics Commission, have a bank account, and post office box address. Unabashedly, this mail is to ask for your financial support in our opposition to the 3/8-cent sales tax proposal for Truman Sports Complex to appear on the April 4, 2006 ballot.

Since I stood before the Jackson County Legislature on January 20, 2006 and read my statement into the public record, I have received many phone calls, e-mails and have had people stop me on the street
to voice their support and encouragement. I had no idea my message would resonate with so many.

You may have seen reference to me and the committee in the Kansas City Star. We have appeared on KCPT "Week in Review" on January 27th, Mike Shanin's Sunday call-in show on KMBZ 980 AM radio on February 5th, and a panel discussion on WDAF TV4 the evening of February 9th.

The proponents of this issue have started placing yard signs. We have that plus other methods in the works to deliver our message. As with most opposition campaigns, we are long on idealism and short on cash and volunteer help.

If you wish to be involved in either or both of those capacities, please let me know. Any financial contribution you send will be appreciated and used judiciously to gain maximum value. Current guidelines state we must report any donation over $100.

If you have any questions or comments for me, please call or write. This will be a hard campaign and there are only seven weeks to go before the voting date.

Sincerely,

Craig Davis, Chairman
NO! I CAN'T AFFORD IT!        Send a donation     
PO Box 45377
Kansas City MO 64171
"Keep the Status-Quo! Yes on 1, No on 2!" - Jackson County Voters
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: No, I Can't Afford It

Post by lock+load »

Excellent!  Do you have an email address to contact Mr. Davis?
TheNorthlander
New York Life
New York Life

Post by TheNorthlander »

lock&load wrote: Excellent!  Do you have an email address to contact Mr. Davis? 
Nope, sorry.  I didn't get it direct, it came via a third-party.  I will see what I can find out.
"Keep the Status-Quo! Yes on 1, No on 2!" - Jackson County Voters
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I like the sentiment, but I don't think the slogan works. It sounds like (perhaps intentionally) like a group that is anti-tax for everything. I fully support some taxes, even taxes to subsidize sports teams, I just don't like this deal.

I still like the idea of "Save Our Owners." Tongue-in-cheek humor can be quite effective.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

KCMax wrote: I like the sentiment, but I don't think the slogan works. It sounds like (perhaps intentionally) like a group that is anti-tax for everything. I fully support some taxes, even taxes to subsidize sports teams, I just don't like this deal.

I still like the idea of "Save Our Owners." Tongue-in-cheek humor can be quite effective.
I agree, the slogan isn't the best...but it is nice to see an organized effort forming.  Considering a large portion of Jackson County really cannot afford an additional tax, it is a reasonable statement.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I agree that the slogan is ineffective.  First off, the people who will lead this campaign certainly can afford it - they just don't want to pay it.  Nothing wrong with that, but its not exactly a winning strategy.  Any anti-tax campaign in KC has to appeal beyond the normal anti-everything group.  KC doesn't have a problem with publicly supporting worthy causes so the campaign has to show that this plan is not the best solution to the problem.  "No I can't afford it" sounds like a disgruntled group of elderly businessmen. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

These guys are complete morons, I'll vote no, but I would not side with these people for anything.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

GRID wrote: These guys are complete morons, I'll vote no, but I would not side with these people for anything.
i can show you grid, 10 different answers from you. i will vote no. i will vote yes.

kerry.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Well, it's been no now for some time, since I last spoke with Cauthen.  So there!  :D
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

GRID wrote: Well, it's been no now for some time, since I last spoke with Cauthen.  So there!   :D
wayne "i just moved here from denver and now i am all about kc" cauthen??

i heard him and clay chastain are brothers...............................
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

kcdcchef wrote: wayne "i just moved here from denver and now i am all about kc" cauthen??

i heard him and clay chastain are brothers...............................
That's actually funny coming from someone who is not currently living in Kansas City. 
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

It's not that I can't afford it - or that I don't think money should be spent on a stadium. I just have a problem with renovating an old stadium. Not sure how I'm going to vote just yet, but I think the "I can't afford it" campaign was a short-sighted idea to respond to the equally lame and misleading "save or teams" campaign.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Several folks are saying the I Can't Afford It message is a little off.

What ideas do people have for a phrase or sign that could be used instead?

Maybe something like...

"Greed"
"We love our stadiums the way they are--Keep them that way"
"Try Harder, Legislature!" (or something to that effect)
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I still like Save Our Owners.

I would also like something to highlight that we ALREADY HAVE A LEASE! All we have to do is comply with the lease, not hand them millions upon millions to do whatever renovations they want.

Maybe Fix the Current Lease. I know, it doesn't have the same resonance as I Can't Afford It.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

WoodDraw wrote: That's actually funny coming from someone who is not currently living in Kansas City. 
wow, this is the first time someone ever took that shot at me. man, it hurts too.