Check These Out...Old Potential Stadium Ideas

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Check These Out...Old Potential Stadium Ideas

Post by DiggityDawg »

I've never seen these before...this is a link to a Royals blog I frequent with some neat pics :

http://royals.mostvaluablenetwork.com/
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Check These Out...Old Potential Stadium Ideas

Post by KCMax »

Interesting stuff. Sure glad we didn't build a dome!

How long did Municipal stand before we tore it down? Did it come down immediately after the TSC was completed?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Very interesting!  Was this the reason the land where the PAC is to be built was originally cleared or was it before or after this time?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It is also interesting that both dome sites have an adjacent smaller arena.  Wonder what happened to Broadway in the downtown scheme?  The downtown view also shows an exhibition hall where Bartle now stands.
    The PAC site was cleared later, after Whitney Kerr bought up the land for his world trade center/corporate woods type office park.  This is when he tore down the art deco gem General Tire bldg on Baltimore.  Municipal was torn down within a few years after Truman opened if I can recall.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Looks like broadway would become a HUGE traffic circle around the arena.

Notice, also in the last picture of TSC that there is a rail stop in the lower left corner. I would vote for that.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Seems like that would've been a nightmare getting in an out of.  (Seriously)  70K people in that area....i think that's too compact for a football stadium, personally.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Look at the difference in parking!

Well, if they would have built it there, we would probably have what everybody wants by now.  A downtown ballpark and a football stadium at the TSC or at the speedway.

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Looks like the downtown parking scheme was a hig wrap around parking structure built into the hillside.  Just the thing we all hate.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

KCMax wrote: Interesting stuff. Sure glad we didn't build a dome!

How long did Municipal stand before we tore it down? Did it come down immediately after the TSC was completed?
Herre's a montage of stuff I lifted from the KC Public Library site, authored by various individuals including Mrs. Sam Ray and K.C. Times columnist Bill Tammeus.

Long before the huge Harry S. Truman Sports Complex was built at I-70 and Blue Ridge Cut-off, and before the days of strikes by baseball players, Kansas City fans made their way, by street car or automobile, to this stadium at 22nd and Brooklyn. The stadium made its debut July 3, 1923, as Muehlebach Field. In 1937 it was renamed Ruppert Stadium, then in 1946, Blues Stadium and finally Municipal Stadium in 1954.

The first night baseball game at Municipal Stadium, then Muehlebach Field, under a permanent lighting system was played July 6, 1932. Portable equipment for night baseball was used at the field in 1930 by the Monarchs.
The stadium was torn down in September of 1971.

Sportster
...batter up!!!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Sportster wrote: Herre's a montage of stuff I lifted from the KC Public Library site, authored by various individuals including Mrs. Sam Ray and K.C. Times columnist Bill Tammeus.

Long before the huge Harry S. Truman Sports Complex was built at I-70 and Blue Ridge Cut-off, and before the days of strikes by baseball players, Kansas City fans made their way, by street car or automobile, to this stadium at 22nd and Brooklyn. The stadium made its debut July 3, 1923, as Muehlebach Field. In 1937 it was renamed Ruppert Stadium, then in 1946, Blues Stadium and finally Municipal Stadium in 1954.

The first night baseball game at Municipal Stadium, then Muehlebach Field, under a permanent lighting system was played July 6, 1932. Portable equipment for night baseball was used at the field in 1930 by the Monarchs.
The stadium was torn down in September of 1971.

Sportster
...batter up!!!
The lights from the stadium were then installed at the Raytown High School Football stadium, and still burn there today.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

shinatoo wrote: The lights from the stadium were then installed at the Raytown High School Football stadium, and still burn there today.
:cheers:
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

shinatoo wrote: The lights from the stadium were then installed at the Raytown High School Football stadium, and still burn there today.
Get out!! :shock: 8)

I honestly didn't know that. That's a cool little bit of trivia to know! It just occurred to me though, Admin was talkin about replacing those a couple of years back - so they could be history by now. BUt its still a cool little factoid!

Sportster
...who da knew!  8)
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

They are still there.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

shinatoo wrote: They are still there.
GO RAY-SOUTH!  CARDS!!!  99!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

chrizow wrote: GO RAY-SOUTH!  CARDS!!!  99!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trojans! 77!!! (That'd be Park Hill)

Sportster
...geez, i feel old