Cheaper parking for MO residents

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Cheaper parking for MO residents

Post by KCPowercat »

Overall bad idea just trying to get people to vote for the proposal.  Breeds state fighting and how the heck are they going to enforce it, check IDs?  That should make parking lines fun.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Cheaper parking for MO residents

Post by lock+load »

I agree it's a bad idea.  I think it would be based on license plates
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I agree its a bad idea. I'm cool with giving Jackson Countians some kind of benefit, but I don't know if this is the right way to be going about it.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote: I agree its a bad idea. I'm cool with giving Jackson Countians some kind of benefit, but I don't know if this is the right way to be going about it.
I'm no Kansas basher as I have spent quite a bit of time living on that side of the state line but I think this is actually a good idea.  I think Jackson Countians should see benefits relative to the rest of the metro by virtue of paying for the place.  Parking would be an easy way to work it out on the basis of license plates.    Whenever I travel in Europe, I end up paying quite a bit more than European tourists for many venues because I come from outside the EU.  I remember Denver doing the same thing at the zoo, residents got breaks and I believe they even had a few free days per year while those from Littleton, Arvada etc....had to pay regular price. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Eh, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. No way the Royals and Chiefs go for it though.

Maybe they'll let me park for cheap if I save all my bar tabs and show them how much sales tax I'm paying in Jackson County!

Edit: Represntative Pratt is discussing the bill on 810 right now.
Last edited by KCMax on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Anything that reminds people of the inequities in our system is a good thing if you ask me.  If you don't like it, ride your bike or take the bus.
TheNorthlander
New York Life
New York Life

Post by TheNorthlander »

Parking is a huge component of both the Chiefs and Royals revenue.  (One of the reason why Glass isn't demanding a downtown stadium.  He would lose all of the parking revenue.)

It will be interesting to see their response.
"Keep the Status-Quo! Yes on 1, No on 2!" - Jackson County Voters
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I bet lots of MO residents would turn traitor and go pick up their KS friends in their MO cars.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The other interesting idea was allowing playoff tickets to go on sale to Jackson County residents first, regardless of their season ticket status. Other Missourians would be second on the list, and then everyon else. Which pretty much means if you live in Johnson County, you're getting your tickets from a scalper.

MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

lock&load wrote: I think it would be based on license plates
How do you determine county on a MO licences plates?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Don't MO plates have stickers signifying county residence??? You get them when you pay property tax. You DO pay your property tax don't you?

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Missouri plates have no county info, not even on the stickers.  The idea to use plates would apply to all Missouri residents.  County residency would have to be proven with a tax receipt or proof of address.

This would probably kill the stadium deal because it would severely cut into the teams' parking revenue.  However, it's very for taxpayers.  Residents of the Jackson County part of KCMO would be paying four different taxes for the stadiums - the new sales tax and the current county, city, and state taxes.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Feel frree to correct me, but as I understand it:

I think Pratt's bit about the MP parking perk stems only from the 50 mil in tax credits the state provides.  That's the part for Missouri residents as a whole--parking.

The Jack sales tax is rewarded with early ticket purchases.  Same with Mo residents, but you have to let Jack residents go two days earlier to provide an additional perk for the Jack-only sales tax.

As for the stickers with county thing...if it's on there, it's in 8pt font that I've never noticed.  Regardless, it doesn't really come in to play with the parking--the perk would be Mo-wide.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

dangerboy wrote: Missouri plates have no county info, not even on the stickers.   The idea to use plates would apply to all Missouri residents.  County residency would have to be proven with a tax receipt or proof of address.

This would probably kill the stadium deal because it would severely cut into the teams' parking revenue.  However, it's very for taxpayers.  Residents of the Jackson County part of KCMO would be paying four different taxes for the stadiums - the new sales tax and the current county, city, and state taxes.
Then give Jackson County residents a reduced fee and increase the fee for outside counties to cover the shortfall.  True, license plates alone could not be the evidence for residence but something could be worked out....driver's license/tax reciept (no picture)?  The savings would not be enough for most people to look for elaborate ways to cheat the system. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

TheNorthlander wrote: Parking is a huge component of both the Chiefs and Royals revenue.  (One of the reason why Glass isn't demanding a downtown stadium.  He would lose all of the parking revenue.)

It will be interesting to see their response.
I've wondered about this issue regarding the DT stadium.  Another issue is concessions.  If you go downtown, there are ample places to drink and eat before and after games which means less eating and drinking during the game. 
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I think it's crazy to offer a benefit to residents in the form of even more subsidized parking. Get rid of it! I want something that actually helps the city and its residents.

This is a payout to people who live an irresponsible lifestyle.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Again, why do the politicians avoid the major issue (the owners greedy money-grab) ??  Why aren't they concerned about Glass-Hole paying 10% when the Cardinals owners are putting in 45%?

They would rather talk about minute details such as parking give backs.  PARKING GIVE-BACKS!!?!?  Think the owners care one bit?  They are laughing hysterically.  "Oh, awwwwwright.  We'll concede on this major issue" (snort-snort, chuckle-chuckle)
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

JUST BUILD IT DOWNTOWN AND THEN EVERYONE CAN JUST TAKE THE BUS TO THE STADIUM.... OR FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAYBE LIGHT RAIL. :lol: