Jacomo poll: 51%

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Jacomo poll: 51%

Post by GRID »

Star it reporting tomorrow that 80% of JaCo voters do not support a downtown ballpark.  It's probably closer to 90% in other counties.

This confirms that unless it's built with private money, it's not going to happen here.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

yup. so MOVE ON and get on the winning bandwagon.

i personally think a new concourse that allows us to walk under and behind the scoreboard will be COOL!!!!!! and an expanded concourse so the traditional circular ramps get replaced with alternating escalators, with a brick facade, arthur bryants, hereford house philly steak sandwiches, man, this sounds way cool.

maybe a forum get together at the renovated k in, say, april of 08??
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
TheNorthlander
New York Life
New York Life

Post by TheNorthlander »

This poll is meaningless....

When Kay Barnes ran for re-election, polls at the time showed 70% against a new downtown arena.  Every person running for city council at the time was saying that they didn't think an arena would be supported by the voters.

This poll was also done by Pat Gray, who will get paid a handsome fee to run the TSC tax campaign.  He was the same guy whose polls said Bi-State II would pass.  I don't think his polls have been very accurate when they involve controversial topics.
"Keep the Status-Quo! Yes on 1, No on 2!" - Jackson County Voters
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Loaded questions are fun.

"Do you still beat your wife?"
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

"Would you still support John McCain for President knowing he had a black baby out of wedlock?"

-used in polling for the South Carolina primary by Bush for President2000.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

hmm - the poll that jackson county has been bantering about had 400 responses and came out 81% in favor of TSC.  Today's Star poll currently sits at just under 2700 responses and is 77% in favor of downtown.  I guess the County better quit going around telling everyone that polling indicates strong opposition to downtown. 
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

well, then again, i assumed the Jacomo poll was done with professional surveying techniques that helped minimize bias, while the Star poll is just there for shits and giggles (for what's its worth in terms of real statistics).
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

that's a pretty big assumption.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: hmm - the poll that jackson county has been bantering about had 400 responses and came out 81% in favor of TSC.  Today's Star poll currently sits at just under 2700 responses and is 77% in favor of downtown.  I guess the County better quit going around telling everyone that polling indicates strong opposition to downtown. 
The Star's poll does not restrict itself to Jackson County residents only.  Also, the Star poll may include multiple responses.  And there are many other items that would be reflected in a poll that all one has to do is click to vote instead of professionally conducted poll.  Not saying that all professionally done polls are correct (just look at election polls) but even when they are wrong they are still close to actual results.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

akp, fwiw, you can't vote twice in the star poll.  when i go to check back on it, i don't have the option of voting anymore.  i suppose if you were REALLY desperate to stuff the preverbial ballot box you could go to another ip address.

just throwing that out there.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

shaffe wrote: akp, fwiw, you can't vote twice in the star poll.  when i go to check back on it, i don't have the option of voting anymore.  i suppose if you were REALLY desperate to stuff the preverbial ballot box you could go to another ip address.

just throwing that out there.
Or just delete the cookies...

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

Tosspot wrote: Or just delete the cookies...
well then, i guess i'm a technical moron.  i apologize if i sounded brash.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

shaffe wrote: well then, i guess i'm a technical moron.  i apologize if i sounded brash.
:?:

No need to get overly concerned or upset, I didn't have any ulterior meanings.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: The Star's poll does not restrict itself to Jackson County residents only.  Also, the Star poll may include multiple responses.  And there are many other items that would be reflected in a poll that all one has to do is click to vote instead of professionally conducted poll.  Not saying that all professionally done polls are correct (just look at election polls) but even when they are wrong they are still close to actual results.
I've yet to be convinced that the polling regarding a downtown stadium was professionally done.  It certainly isn't well documented.
TheNorthlander
New York Life
New York Life

Post by TheNorthlander »

One poll that seems to be overlooked was the one called "Bi-State II".  The renovation idea was not supported by the metro, even though a resonable arts component was attached to it.  (I was told countless times, "If it was just the arts alone, I would vote for it.")

Jackson County did support Bi-State II, but, duh, why wouldn't you vote for something that injects $100s of million into your county from a neighboring one.

The 51% poll had an error rate of +/- 5%....that means the result could actually be
FOR RENOVATIONS: 46%
AGAINST RENOVATIONS: 48%
UNDECIDED: 6%

The renovation idea has been tried and it failed, time to move on.
"Keep the Status-Quo! Yes on 1, No on 2!" - Jackson County Voters
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The question was for the sales tax, not the renovations.  If it applied to the renovations then the question would be "Do you support renovations to the TSC?" without any reference to a sales tax.

To make it simple, I could be for renovations but against that sales tax proposal to finance them.

What makes a good poll is how the question(s) are phased.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

i heard kietz and petro both admit today, on the air, that the polls by the kc star were probably rigged either way, with people re registering every 2 minutes, and voting either way.

then kietz today also said that if only 2,000 people can email in support, and this is 2,000 including wives, and children, this is a dead issue.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I was sitting at Town Topic last night listening to these two 80+ year old downtown dinosaurs bitch about how horrible it was that the city was spending all of "their" money on developing downtown.  They bitched about the arena.  They bitched about the P&L.  They bitched about the lofts.  They bitched about downtown baseball stadiums. They bitched about the mayor being a crook.  These guys honestly seemed to want downtown to go back to being block after block of derelict, dead zone.  It was as if they were pissed that all of these people had the gumption to come in and try and make downtown better.  I found my darker side hopeful that these fellas and their attitude wouldn't be around much longer. 

AKP - were you at Town Topic last night?  :lol:
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

in defense of dinasours like them, a lot of people remember when downtown was great, and all done without the taxpayer paying it all.

not defending them, but a lot of older people remember being downtown in the 1940's as a young adult, and remember how bustling it was, and how happening it was, and dont seem to realize that yes, it was self sufficient back then with all the commerce building their own stuff, but it was also their narrow minded mentality that refused to segregate our world, and that killed downtown. all the whities packed up and left.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote: a lot of older people remember being downtown in the 1940's as a young adult, and remember how bustling it was, and how happening it was, and dont seem to realize that yes, it was self sufficient back then with all the commerce building their own stuff
I got the impression that these two never noticed that downtown stopped bustling and thirving.  They seemed perfectly happy with downtown the way it has been the last thirty years.  Probably pissed off that there are all of these young whippersnapper loft dwellers taking up prime seats at the counter.