Hypothetical: 2006 stadium upgrade vote fails

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Hypothetical: 2006 stadium upgrade vote fails

Post by WoodDraw »

What are everyone's feelings on what the Royals and Chiefs will do if the upgrades get voted down in '06? 

I can't see the Royals doing too much since Glass doesn't really have much power locally and I don't think he has any desire to own a team outside of KC.  It could convince him to look at the downtown proposal but that doesn't seem all that likely with his recent comments on it.  I wouldn't be shocked if he decided to sell the team within the next few years, especially if they continue to lose.  My guess is that he'll hold on through the end of this collective bargaining agreement but if he doesn't get what he wants in the next round of negotiations with the players' union then I could see him getting out.

The Chiefs are more of a wild card in this one.  Despite their success and huge fan base here, Hunt doesn't seem to have a whole lot of attachment and I don't think anyone would be shocked to see him leave if another city offers a sweatheart deal.  That said, I don't know of many other cities that have both the fan base and the willingness to build a new stadium.  Kansas could be an option but there are a whole set of issues that would have to be overcome for that too work.  Still, the whole Chiefs group has continued to get more and more vocal on the consequences of nothing doing something.  I would be surprised if they just sat around and accepted it.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Hypothetical: 2006 stadium upgrade vote fails

Post by tat2kc »

The Chiefs, I think, have a bigger stake in KC. They've been here forever, and Hunt has been a football supporter since way back, when they had very few season ticket holders.  I'd expect to see the Royals up for sale and leave the area before the chiefs would.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

I'd expect lots of rumors.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

"Cats and Dogs, living together!"
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

If it fails, I expect the teams to split from each other, for the Royals to get $100 million in renovations from the Sports Authority and accept it, while the Chiefs negotiate with Kansas, and LA in an attempt to gain leverage. I can't say what they would do - the Browns moved after all.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
jerry12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by jerry12 »

I think both teams will piss and moan for the next 25 years and in 2030 will still be at the TSC.  And no championships in that time.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

jerry12 wrote: I think both teams will piss and moan for the next 25 years and in 2030 will still be at the TSC.  And no championships in that time.
Well, they will default on their leases way sooner than that, and they probably won't even stay in KC without some type of resolution.  I believe wholeheartedly that the measure will fail in April, and then the Chiefs will use other markets as leverage, and negotiate with KS.  Within three to four years, the Chiefs will play in a brand new shiny retractable roof stadium near the speedway, and the Royals will have a new owner and/or Glass will wise up and realize he's gotta finally pump some money into the Royals and agree to a downtown baseball stadium.. In three years, KC's downtown will be arguably the best around the Great Plains, and will be a huge success..... The Royals would be stupid not to want to be there.....  That way, 'KC' fans get to keep both teams, and both sides of the state line can contribute to the area's burdensome stadium initiatives. 
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Hells bells, even I'd take a KCK football stadium if it meant we'd get the Royals downtown. Maybe that's a little too simplistic of me to think that though.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Tosspot wrote: Hells bells, even I'd take a KCK football stadium if it meant we'd get the Royals downtown. Maybe that's a little too simplistic of me to think that though.
I would too in a heartbeat.

but "hells bells"?  What happened to that bizarre vocabulary?
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

hells bells??

if it fails, which i do not think it will, i would say the next step for both owners is to start thinking more about putting in some more of their own money to do it.

as much as everyone in the forum bashes glass, i honestly think he would do it before hunt would.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D