Wizards Stadium update

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
UMKCgal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Wizards Stadium update

Post by UMKCgal »

I put my vote in for Wyco...somewhere along i-70 way east of the speedway (so it could be inside 435) would be nice. isn't there a ton of undeveloped land there or something like that?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

UMKCgal wrote: I put my vote in for Wyco...somewhere along i-70 way east of the speedway (so it could be inside 435) would be nice. isn't there a ton of undeveloped land there or something like that?
That would be perfect, there are so many places along I-70.
SamPierron
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SamPierron »

The trouble with this is that WyCo is, essentially, all tapped out with their other projects.  The project, will require some public-private partnership, and there's just no way that WyCo can come in for another one with the NASCAR HoF sitting out there.  It's too bad,  and they have done a lot of good stuff, but there's only so much they can do/
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

SamPierron wrote: The trouble with this is that WyCo is, essentially, all tapped out with their other projects.  The project, will require some public-private partnership, and there's just no way that WyCo can come in for another one with the NASCAR HoF sitting out there.  It's too bad,  and they have done a lot of good stuff, but there's only so much they can do/
Unless it's funded regionally...
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

I think that I-70 would'nt be a bad fit, but are the demographics up to snuff???

Is there any new information about the study being done in JoCo???

I've said it before, but I think I-435 and 87th street in Lenexa is the best fit.  Or maybe off 69 hwy or the growing K-10 corridor. 

Is Platte County not even interested???  I've heard Riverside as a possible location, but is that just speculation or a reality????
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

skim82 wrote: I think that I-70 would'nt be a bad fit, but are the demographics up to snuff???

Is there any new information about the study being done in JoCo???

I've said it before, but I think I-435 and 87th street in Lenexa is the best fit.  Or maybe off 69 hwy or the growing K-10 corridor. 

Is Platte County not even interested???  I've heard Riverside as a possible location, but is that just speculation or a reality????

Put it anywere but Johnson County.  OK, if that's what it takes to keep the team, but there is NO other reason for people in Lee's Summit, Liberty, Blue Springs etc do drive to southern or western Johnson County.  NONE.

I really wish KCK could do this.  either along I-70 or by the speedway where it is becoming a destination for people all over the metro.

I don't think Riverside really wants to build a soccer stadium and 20 soccer fields on that land.  I think they thought about it, but why would they waste all the money they spent on the levee and the new interchange for soccer fields which probably could have been built in a floot plain anyway.

They are going to want development actual buildings in there and they will with that location, they will.

I'm sure we will end up with a soccer stadium out along K-7 somewhere though.

Whatever works.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

GRID wrote: Put it anywere but Johnson County.  OK, if that's what it takes to keep the team, but there is NO other reason for people in Lee's Summit, Liberty, Blue Springs etc do drive to southern or western Johnson County.  NONE.

I agree with u Grid.  It would be a long drive for people in East Jack. 

All I've ever heard is that Johnson County's youth soccer involvement/participation is one of the highest in the nation.  Couple that with the extremely high demographics, and you really could'nt blame an outsider for wanting the new stadium in JoCo. Also, could it be possible that JoCo residents don't attend Wizards games b/c it's darn near Independence and BS??? 

Knowing JoCo, I couldn't agree with u more about the stadium ending up near K-7 and K-10. 
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

skim82 wrote: Also, could it be possible that JoCo residents don't attend Wizards games b/c it's darn near Independence and BS???
I'd doubt it- plenty of JoCo's have been making it to to Royals and Chiefs games over the past thrity years. 
SamPierron
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SamPierron »

dangerboy wrote: Unless it's funded regionally...
Uh-huh. That was tried once.  It was called "the run-up to aborted BS II".  The Royals shot it down like a clay pigeon the size of a Frisbee .
SamPierron
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SamPierron »

GRID wrote: Put it anywere but Johnson County.  OK, if that's what it takes to keep the team, but there is NO other reason for people in Lee's Summit, Liberty, Blue Springs etc do drive to southern or western Johnson County.  NONE.

I really wish KCK could do this.  either along I-70 or by the speedway where it is becoming a destination for people all over the metro.

I don't think Riverside really wants to build a soccer stadium and 20 soccer fields on that land.  I think they thought about it, but why would they waste all the money they spent on the levee and the new interchange for soccer fields which probably could have been built in a floot plain anyway.

They are going to want development actual buildings in there and they will with that location, they will.

Whatever works.
Riverside has plenty of options on that site.  They're playing it smart and waiting for something to come to them.  They don't want to shell out public money to have it developed. 

Frankly, the single most irritating thing about this board is that people go so far out of their way to trash JoCo.  Hey, I don't live there either, and if I ever had to move back to KC, it wouldn't be anywhere near any stretch of 435 in JoCo.  That said...you know, it's not crazy to think that putting a soccer stadium and complex in that part of the world is a good idea.  You're talking about a 30 minute drive from Blue Springs to any of the likely stadium sites. Yes...it's a ways from Liberty, especially if you would have to make that drive during rush hour.  Okay.  You know, that's about it.

Hell, am I the only person on here that looks at a map and notices that Lee's Summit is farther from downtown than Lenexa is, and Blue Springs is about the same? Or that the airport and Liberty are the same distance to downtown as anywhere in the densely populated parts of Johnson County?  Or...wait for it...that the population density around the Speedway is next to zero?  How about noticing that Village West is less than 10 minutes from anywhere this stadium is likely to be?

Oh, no one  from anywhere else would ever have a reason to go to Johnson County.  NONE.  Give me a break.  Seriously, is it so painful to think that different parts of the Metro might have different things to offer? And that some of those things might take place in a county that has more than a quarter of the Metro population, a disproportionate amount of the individual wealth, and its own corporate tax base, including a Fortune 500 headquarters?

By your logic, NO person from Johnson County would ever have a reason to go to Liberty, Lee's Summit, Blue Springs.  NEVER.  I happen to think that different parts of suburbia have their own styles.  Johnson County has a much larger immigrant population, as a percentage, than any other suburban area.  Thus, you get a broader variety of ethnic restaurants.  In the Northland, you have one standard Punjabi place.  They do it well.  There are a lot more Indians in JoCo, so you also have full vegetarian places, places like Ruchi that use different regional cuisines, etc.  EastJack has the lakes. Downtown NKC is cool during the day.  Zona Rosa is, in some ways, the most pleasant shopping experience in town.  Parkville is probably the place I'd choose to live if I worked Downtown, because I love downtown Parkville, and the surrounding country is pretty. Different suburban strokes for different folks.

I'm not Mr. Suburban Sprawl, either.  I live in Lawrence because I like living in a small city with lots of liberals, with KC close enough when I want to branch out a bit.  I grew up at a time when Olathe was losing its identity, and, other than to use the occassional business that suits my needs, or for a family event, it isn't like I spend much time there.  But, man, I'm not so insecure in my lack of love for Johnson County that I pretend like nothing of any merit could happen there, or that it might actually have things to offer.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

I don't have any interest in soccer no matter where it is.  However, I think there is more to it than just location.  The state of Kansas has treated KCK like a bitch while catering to JoCo's every whim for years.  Things are finally starting to happen a little bit for KCK.  It's time  for them to do the right thing and balance things out a bit if the stadium goes to a Kansas  community.  How the hell do they expect KCK to ever get back on its feet if they keep sticking things in JoCo?  Colgate-Palmolive just announced that it will be closing its doors so KCK seems to be in a rut.  One step forward and one step back.  For once it would be nice to see people not thinking of their own best interests and thinking of what is best for their state as a whole.  Spread the wealth out a bit.  I guess that would be asking a bit much in a traditionally Republican dominated state though.  I agree with GRID though.  It will probably end up going somewhere totally inconvenient or in a place where it benefits a community that really doesn't need the help.  Just one more reason for me not to even start getting interested in soccer.  You'll never see me at a Wizards game in a million years.  Boycott the bastards I say.  :D
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

of course each piece of the metro offers it's own flavor to the city....successful burbs and core is what makes a successful city.

Personally here's what I "use" JoCo for:

- visit some friends who live there
- Expo (but it's closing)
- Joy Luck...some of the best Chinese buffet I've found
- don chilitos
- Panzons

that's about it....there is some shopping but now with the rise of the eastern burbs and northland, I have my choice of 3 areas to hit depending on what I want.

I'm glad JoCo and all the other burbs are successful.  This is America, people for the most part live in the burbs....with those burbs growing, the metro is healthy and growing
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Sam, I understand what you are saying, but I'm telling you, there are few reasons to go there and the only people who do are the ones who work out there.  People in Blue Springs, Lee's Summit, Liberty etc do not go out there much any more.  The reason you see so many MO plates in JoCo is for two reasons mostly.  Most of the city is still in MO and there are several hundred thousand people that live near JoCo just east of state line that use JoCo as a place to shop and work because it is closer for them than driving all the way to East Jax or the Northland.

Go to Independence Center or Summit Woods on a nice Saturday afternoon and I'll bet you would be hard pressed to find a dozen JO cars in that lot.  The ones you do find are probably living out there now.

Most people I know in JoCo don't know where Indepedence Center is and certainly have no idea how nice it is.  Suburbs are suburbs and people tend to stick to thier respective suburbs.

I have heard many JoCo people say that the stadiums are too far east etc.  Do you really think JoCo would like it if the Wizards were located on Adam's Dairy Parkway?  That is about the same thing as K-7.

That's all I'm saying.  I want the keep the Wizards in town, and if that means putting them on K-7 then fine.  I would just rather them go to a place that is either more centrally located or in a area that is more of a destination for the metro area.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Just my two cents on the topic. 
GRID wrote: I have heard many JoCo people say that the stadiums are too far east etc. Do you really think JoCo would like it if the Wizards were located on Adam's Dairy Parkway? That is about the same thing as K-7.
K7 is less than 5 miles from I-435 and I-35. Isn't ADP way east of I-435???  I don't know, just asking.
I do agree with u Grid.  Let's keep them here no MATTER what. 

SamPierron, I do notice that there is always a bunch of JoCo bashers all over this site.  In fact, you can't ever post something on the KC Suburbs section w/o someone from the Northland / Downtown / East jack crapping all over it. 

I understand that there are some arrogant JoCo people, however, I think that people on this site generalize anyone from joco as being a rich little kid with no morals and manners. 

I'll admit, before the beginning of this year, I didn't know what Independence Center was.  And, I just made it out to ZonaRosa like a few weeks ago for the first time. 

My point is, who cares where ur from.  JoCo is a very attractive place for a new soccer stadium.  period.  end of statement.  So is LS or Riverside.  All I care about is that they stay in our city. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

SamPierron wrote: Uh-huh. That was tried once.  It was called "the run-up to aborted BS II".  The Royals shot it down like a clay pigeon the size of a Frisbee .
So try again.  Most cities have to vote 2-3 times to get things like this approved, especially if it's a multi-county or even bi-state plan.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

skim82 wrote: Just my two cents on the topic. 

K7 is less than 5 miles from I-435 and I-35. Isn't ADP way east of I-435???  I don't know, just asking.
I do agree with u Grid.  Let's keep them here no MATTER what. 

SamPierron, I do notice that there is always a bunch of JoCo bashers all over this site.  In fact, you can't ever post something on the KC Suburbs section w/o someone from the Northland / Downtown / East jack crapping all over it. 

I understand that there are some arrogant JoCo people, however, I think that people on this site generalize anyone from joco as being a rich little kid with no morals and manners. 

I'll admit, before the beginning of this year, I didn't know what Independence Center was.  And, I just made it out to ZonaRosa like a few weeks ago for the first time. 

My point is, who cares where ur from.  JoCo is a very attractive place for a new soccer stadium.  period.  end of statement.  So is LS or Riverside.  All I care about is that they stay in our city.   
I know skim, I just gave up on JoCo years ago.  I got tired of the arrogance and ignorance toward KC and the MO side in general.  Sure, everybody is not like that and the JoCo people on the forum (most of them) are awesome.  But I’m not going to respect JoCo in general until they earn my respect back (which I used to have).  Nothing against anybody from there (well, a few politicians and press people out there are total dipshits), just the general attitude they have in whole. Till then…peace.

Get the stadium built, or the Wizards leave.  That will give JoCo just an itty bitty taste of what KCMO goes through on just about every issue that comes up including fighting off its own KS suburbs.

As far as Adam’s Dairy Pkwy?  K-7 and M-7 are about the same distance from Downtown.  Asking somebody from LS or BS to drive to K-7 is the same as asking somebody from Shawnee or Lenexa to drive to M-7.  It pretty much doesn’t happen and for the most part, it won’t happen with the casual Wizards fans either.  It will basically be a Kansas team like the T-bones.  Most people I know out east have no idea who the T-bones are, this is why they are proposed a similar minor league ballpark in LS.

I wish JoCo the best with the Wizards, I’m sure the rumors will fly afterwards that JoCo has the team now, well you know, because KCMO fucked up again and lost the team while JoCo will somehow fund and build a perfect place for the team and its fans that is accessible and safe.
SamPierron
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SamPierron »

GRID wrote:
As far as Adam’s Dairy Pkwy?  K-7 and M-7 are about the same distance from Downtown.  Asking somebody from LS or BS to drive to K-7 is the same as asking somebody from Shawnee or Lenexa to drive to M-7.  It pretty much doesn’t happen and for the most part, it won’t happen with the casual Wizards fans either.  It will basically be a Kansas team like the T-bones.  Most people I know out east have no idea who the T-bones are, this is why they are proposed a similar minor league ballpark in LS.

I wish JoCo the best with the Wizards, I’m sure the rumors will fly afterwards that JoCo has the team now, well you know, because KCMO fucked up again and lost the team while JoCo will somehow fund and build a perfect place for the team and its fans that is accessible and safe.
it's true that K-7 and Adams Dairy Pkwy are about the same distance from Downtown (K7 and K10 is actually a mile or two farther)...but what that ignores is that you wouldn't go through Downtown to get from Lee's Summit or Blue Springs to K7 and K10...you'd take 470 and/or 435.  And it's on the slightly long side of a 30 minute drive, not the 45 minutes it would take to make that drive through downtown.  People forget how far south of Downtown most of Blue Springs really is, (5 miles and upward) largely because I don't believe that anyone ever actually looks at a map.

I don't think anyone believes that it was KCMO's "responsibility" to build the Wizards a stadium.  It was always going to be a suburban location of one sort or another. 
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

JoCo is expecting a report on the feasibility of building a soccer complex in August.  I really hope that it goes somewhere just in KC.  I could really care less if it's in MO or KS. 

I'll admit it, I'm a soccer fan.  I may be a very small percentage of people in the metro who loves soccer, but during the world cup, I stay up late and wake up early to catch the games. 

I think a soccer stadium would be very successful in Johnson County as long as its supplemented by an 10 to 12 field complex with a entertainment/retail destination close by.  Obviously there is plenty of wealth in the county, and plenty of soccer moms driving hummers.  (slightly stereotyping of course). 

JUST GET THE DARN THING BUILT. 
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

Metro Sports just had a report about Olathe building a soccer-specific stadium/youth complex. 

They had Kevin Gray with the KC Sports Commission and some renderings on how it might look.

Looks like from Gray's comments, if it happens, it'll def be in Olathe. 

Could others offer some more insight.... i just caught the end of the MetroSports report. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Just hit Channel 9.  They showed some drawings too.  Looked pretty cool.  They said a more formal proposal would be out in September (I read that as being in time for a Nov ballot item).