Olathe/OP grab the Wizards and build them a Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Olathe/OP grab the Wizards and build them a Stadium

Post by KansasCityCraka »

I think Olathe or OP needs to grab the wizards and make a deal with them to make a suburban stadium to keep them close to KC at least, instead of them being has beens like the KC Scouts and KC Knights.

Olathe and OP need to drop the stupid Stadium war and have a war about who is getting the WIZ.....
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Olathe/OP grab the Wizards and build them a Stadium

Post by kard »

So I couldn't find a new Wizards stadium thread to save my life.  But anyway.

Posted on Sat, Apr. 15, 2006
Sites in Johnson County
MLS narrows stadium choice to three cities
By PETE GRATHOFF
The Kansas City Star

Major League Soccer has pared to three the number of Johnson County cities that could be home to a soccer complex with a Wizards stadium as its centerpiece.

The finalists are Olathe, Gardner and De Soto, said Bobby Davidson, a consultant for Major League Soccer. Six Johnson County cities initially responded to the league’s call for information on building the complex.

What set these three apart?

“The individual city’s vision and dedication to make this the finest soccer complex and stadium possible,â€
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

If the stadium goes to Desoto or Gardner they might as well change the name to the Desoto Wizards .....
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

The Kansas Wizards.

For all of those wishing the Wizard of Oz association would just go away...well, sorry.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

KansasCityCraka wrote: If the stadium goes to Desoto or Gardner they might as well change the name to the Desoto Wizards .....
they will do like kansas has been doing for 150 years, exsist in kansas, yet use the kansas city name.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

I have no problem with them being the Kansas City Wizards and playing in Kansas.

There are several pro teams that do this including the Tampa Bay Devil Rays who play in St. Pete... Dallas Cowboys, LA Angels, etc.

Chef's attitude is exactly the kind of thing we need to stay away from.. this is the KC area, whether you  live in MO or KS, and youth soccer clubs from all over our city, including regional teams will pump money into our metro, including MO. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I have no problem with them in KS, but Desoto?  Gardner?

I take the kids to wizards games, if they move that far out, I won't go again and you can bet others won't either.

Would you expect people in Shawnne, OP, Olathe, even Leawood to drive to Oak Grove or Lone Jack?
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

GRID wrote: Would you expect people in Shawnne, OP, Olathe, even Leawood to drive to Oak Grove or Lone Jack?
No, especially since so many of them feel superior about it.

I could definitely see the Wizards relocating to JoCo, and rebranding themselves the "Kansas Wizards."
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

I don't see a problem with them moving to Kansas, but i agree it's way too far out (it would take me half an hour to get there, and i'm ALREADY IN JOCO!!).  I'd hope this is a temporary site (i.e 10-20 years), before they can build enough of a revenue source that they don't have to depend on all the associated youth soccer fields to finance the stadium (atleast that's my understanding for why they are going that far out).  Maybe in 2020 they'll make a move to NKC, or the West Bottoms.  now that would be pretty awesome  8)
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I think NIMBYism took care of this. Gardner would be a horrible choice, as booming as that area, you are alienating everyone outside of JoCo which is stupid. I guess Olathe is the least worst of the three.
[they will do like kansas has been doing for 150 years, exsist in kansas, yet use the kansas city name.
I thought you were mad that Kansas Speedway DIDN'T take the name "Kansas City". Well which is it? Should things in Kansas use the name or not?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

If it did go to olathe, wouldn't it likely go out on the edges (near gardner and desoto)?

Olathe is the best of the three, but more than half of their fans are from MO and I'm telling you, this is not going to work that far out.  Just like when they tried to play at the BV stadium.  The wizards are such a nich sport that they need to be able to draw from the entire area and people are not going to drive to Desoto or Gardner.  Olathe, maybe, again depends.  If it's a k7 and 151st etc, same deal.

This is a case where the solid development in JoCo vs the more sporatic and leap frog development that happens in the Northland etc it going to bite JoCo in the ass.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

It should go in KCK, along I-70, there is plenty of room south of 70 between 635 and 435 for something like this.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I would think OP would be a bit peeved at not being one of the three.  Weren't they thinking of plopping this where they're putting Quintiles?
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

doubt it, not enough land there for the stadium and assorted youth soccer fields.  OP was originally in the running (there were 6 sites at first, all of them way out in the sticks, i think the closest site was at 135th and state line, in Leawood (?)) but i guess they dropped out.  They had a site, out south, i forget where exactly.  But i guess they pulled out.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I am a big believer that a city should have its teams and attractions.

For example, what good is it for Six Flags-St. Louis (and the airport, for that matter) to NOT be in St. Louis?

Why are they called the NEW YORK Jets & Giants...when they both play in NEW JERSEY?  Sounds stupid.

So, I think the Wizards should stay within the KCMO city limits.  However, I am not opposed to them moving to Kansas, as long as it's NORTHERN JoCo or KCK, because that seems more "centrally located."  They should stay out of Gardner, De Soto, and even Olathe.

Now, what about all of this "THINK ONE KC" stuff?  I'm all for that, but no one seems to be thinking that way!  So, it's not working.  WHERE IN KANSAS IS THE MISSOURI STATE FLAG FLOWN?  Yet, in Missouri, the Kansas State flag flies at KCI, Worlds of Fun, KCMO's Main Street, the Plaza, Union Station, Crown Center, etc.  Therefore, if the Wizards became the KANSAS Wizards, I would no longer be a fan!  Stupid things like that would make me want to THINK ONE KC.......KCMO ONLY!!!!
KC is the way to be!
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

ComandanteCero wrote: doubt it, not enough land there for the stadium and assorted youth soccer fields.  OP was originally in the running (there were 6 sites at first, all of them way out in the sticks, i think the closest site was at 135th and state line, in Leawood (?)) but i guess they dropped out.  They had a site, out south, i forget where exactly.  But i guess they pulled out.
I wonder if they even have access to demolition equipment in JoCo. Centrally locating something like a sports stadium is key. Therefore, for it to leave the TSC, and be viable, some buildings need to get demolished.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

AllThingsKC wrote: I am a big believer that a city should have its teams and attractions.

For example, what good is it for Six Flags-St. Louis (and the airport, for that matter) to NOT be in St. Louis?

Why are they called the NEW YORK Jets & Giants...when they both play in NEW JERSEY?  Sounds stupid.

So, I think the Wizards should stay within the KCMO city limits.  However, I am not opposed to them moving to Kansas, as long as it's NORTHERN JoCo or KCK, because that seems more "centrally located."  They should stay out of Gardner, De Soto, and even Olathe.

Now, what about all of this "THINK ONE KC" stuff?  I'm all for that, but no one seems to be thinking that way!  So, it's not working.   WHERE IN KANSAS IS THE MISSOURI STATE FLAG FLOWN?  Yet, in Missouri, the Kansas State flag flies at KCI, Worlds of Fun, KCMO's Main Street, the Plaza, Union Station, Crown Center, etc.  Therefore, if the Wizards became the KANSAS Wizards, I would no longer be a fan!  Stupid things like that would make me want to THINK ONE KC.......KCMO ONLY!!!!
Great post. 
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Build the Wizards a downtown stadium.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

DOWNTOWN SOCCER! 

lets put it at 8th and wyandotte... your thoughts...
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Downtown Soccer is better than nothing!!!  It's also probably the best location, being in the center of the city.  And like the arena, it would not require much parking.   If nothing else, it is one more reason for people to come downtown.
KC is the way to be!