Union Station before a game...

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Imagine this scene in front of Union Station at the Bloch Fountain before a game at the ballpark:
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

tk-
that would be great
but, unlike the arena, they'd definately need to address the parking situation down there if they pursue a stadium. I didn't make it down there Friday night for the Kerry/Edwards rally, unfortunately....How was the parking situation down there that night w/ 25,000 - 30,000 people (a typical Kaufmann crowd)? I was down there this morning for the Race For The Cure, which drew nearly 10,000 people, and there was plenty of parking, though Crown Center was reaching it's capacity I think...
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Critical_Mass wrote:tk-
that would be great
but, unlike the arena, they'd definately need to address the parking situation down there if they pursue a stadium. I didn't make it down there Friday night for the Kerry/Edwards rally, unfortunately....How was the parking situation down there that night w/ 25,000 - 30,000 people (a typical Kaufmann crowd)? I was down there this morning for the Race For The Cure, which drew nearly 10,000 people, and there was plenty of parking, though Crown Center was reaching it's capacity I think...
Walking 3 blocks would be an option for some.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

I favor a new downtown park. For 250M only, tho. I'll project-manage it, and you can bet your arse i'll be on budget.

I'll need 100M from the taxpayers. I'll finance the rest. and it has to go near Union Station. We can save that dog with the new park.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'm not familar with the locations and development of some of the new, cheaper ballparks but $250 million seems a bit small for the proposed location. You've got to buy the Red Cross building, demolish it, and improve the infrastructure and that is before you even start building the thing. Maybe if it was being built on a huge surface lot but not at the Union Station location.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

I'll have the city pull eminent domain on anything in my way, and pay a pittance for it. and i'll strip the current K bone dry (scoreboard, fences, foul poles, jumbotron) as well.

Give me 250M, i'll get you a pnc-look alike. and only 100 has to be public.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin