Alternate locations

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
scooterj
Ambassador

Alternate locations

Post by scooterj »

Problem is there's noplace in the north loop to put it that wouldn't destroy viable businesses, and we should try to avoid doing that.

The empty sea of surface lots in the center of the north loop is big enough by area... but the shape is wrong. I don't see any way to fit a reasonably sized stadium in there without taking out the Phoenix or one of the other bordering buildings.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Alternate locations

Post by ComandanteCero »

ok, just repeating what i said in the parking downtown thread. I think the stadium would be a GREAT addition to the West Bottoms as part of an attempt to revitalize the neighborhood (and hopefully lead to development of the riverfront). There's plenty of empty space, there's the rail road component (as tk mentioned in another thread). Come on, this is a two in one!!!
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Alternate locations

Post by trailerkid »

ComandanteCero wrote:ok, just repeating what i said in the parking downtown thread. I think the stadium would be a GREAT addition to the West Bottoms as part of an attempt to revitalize the neighborhood (and hopefully lead to development of the riverfront). There's plenty of empty space, there's the rail road component (as tk mentioned in another thread). Come on, this is a two in one!!!
[-X Wrong place...wrong time. We need to obliterate dozens more surface lots in downtown proper before we start pouring hundreds of millions into the West Bottoms. Let the artists gentrify the West Bottoms.
scooterj
Ambassador

Alternate locations

Post by scooterj »

I have to agree. Kemper didn't have any effect on the West Bottoms, there's no reason to beelieve a stadium would either. You have to have something to start with, like in the Croassroads, in order for the stadium to benefit the neighborhood and vice-versa. I imagine the West Bottoms coming alive is still at least 10-15 years off.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Alternate locations

Post by ComandanteCero »

I agree there are a lot of factors that have to be in place before a stadium or arena have a true beneficial impact on a neighborhood, especially depending on how the stadium/arena is designed with respect to the neighborhood (and what the neighborhood already has in place). Going along with what you guys are saying i don't think it would be good to put it down there right now, i was thinking 30 years down the line (in the pit of my stomach i'm thinking bi-state will pass) when the West Bottoms was somewhere near what the Crossroads is today (hopefully it will be beyond that). Realistically who knows where KC will be 30 years down the line. Anywho, just an idea.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Alternate locations

Post by ComandanteCero »

ok, here's a cooky idea. if there were a dt stadium, make a partial lid over I-35 (that's the highway between the cbd and rivermarket right?) and somehow place the stadium over the highway with pedestrian areas around it. Would provide great connection and solve part of the highway barrier. I could see it being innovative and practical :D
BVConJahawkSlant

Alternate locations

Post by BVConJahawkSlant »

I have several areas I'd like to see the stadium go: East Loop, East Downtown(possibly around Oak or Charlotte), Wash Sq Park, Columbus Park, or the Berkley Riverfront. Any of those locations would be great.

Masterplan if I were in charge:

1. Kaufman leveled with a new stadium retaining the former namesake being placed anywhere in the Downtown district w/o plopping it in the Crossroads.

2. 20,000 - 30,000 seat soccer stadium off of Rainbow Blvd and I-35. Logistics make sense and the demographics of the Wizards' core fans would be in close proximity.

3. Upon levelling the K, build a new 80,000 seat retractable roof stadium to replace Arrowhead. Level Arrowhead and create a small entertainment/lodging area to later be put together once we land a Final Four and/or Super Bowl.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Alternate locations

Post by bahua »

At Main and Linwood, where Home Depot and Costco used to be.