Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Downtown stadium Q&A with Fairfield

Post by trailerkid »

From the Star....

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 513665.htm
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Councilman pushes for downtown baseball stadium

The Kansas City Star
John Fairfield

Q: You are advocating for a new downtown baseball stadium. Why?

Kansas City Councilman John Fairfield: We are at a watershed moment. A new stadium downtown would add to the momentum that has begun bringing jobs, visitors and residents back to Kansas City's core. I believe that the public funds that have been proposed for Kauffman Stadium, if used as part of a funding package to build a new stadium downtown, would leverage significant additional private investment and create many additional jobs. If we do not build a new stadium downtown now, it may be 20 years before we can make this happen.

Q: How much will it cost and how will the city pay for it? If you don't know, how can you say this is a good idea for Kansas City?

A: I do not know the exact cost of a downtown stadium, since that would depend on variables such as the precise location, land acquisition cost, and the Royals' needs. It is generally thought that such a downtown stadium would be in the $300 to $350 million range. Since the Bistate II proposal would generate about $180 million for a baseball stadium, that would leave a gap of $120 to $170 million to get a new, state-of-the-art stadium downtown, which would not only generate more revenue for the Royals but create significant additional downtown development. I believe there are a number of ways to finance this gap, and we are exploring those alternatives. There should at least be an open public discussion regarding how we want to invest public tax dollars, and the best location to make that investment.

Q: How do you respond to critics who say that Kauffman Stadium is popular, and that building a new downtown stadium would cost far more than the $180 million that would be spent under the Bistate II plan to refurbish Kauffman?

A: Many of us have fond memories of games at the “K,â€
frankieTCU

Bi State Has Lesser Impact than Downtown Stadium

Post by frankieTCU »

Dear Downtown Ballpark Supporters:

As the campaign for Bi State II heats up, I thought you might be interested in the following website: http://www.kcdowntownstadiumnow.com/. This website includes a petition supporting a downtown stadium, which I have signed. I would ask you to consider doing the same. After giving some thought to the current Bi-State II proposal, I have decided to vote against it. I have come to this decision despite liking the idea of refurbishing Arrowhead (which really needs it) and supporting completion of the Performing Arts Center downtown.

Basically, I believe the entire package as presented is too much money with too little impact.

First, as most of you know, I think the $180 million or so towards refurbishing the K would be better spent with greater impact by using it with additional money towards building a downtown baseball park. See my attached prior correspondence on this position. I would hope that the Royals would be willing to share their study about the costs, which are rumored to be in the mid $300 million range.

Second, I am very concerned that the arts money is undesignated (other than the Performing Arts Center). Basically, we would be funding public arts grants by an unelected body. Will this be used for the ballet? A museum? Starving artists? Public statutes? Will the funded art be traditional oil paintings by grand masters or modern art? Will we spend public money on paintings that denigrate religious figures? Will we spend public money on statutes of children fishing in the park? Whose taste will determine what we spend? What is the governance of the organization? Who gets to appoint this body? Who is accountable? Who will pay the legal fees defending the arts body’s decisions? This seems like a very unsound plan to me, frought with peril, with little real impact. The alternatives could be funding for school art classes, refurbishing existing old downtown theaters, building specific needed arts facilities or other projects. However, none of these proposals are before us. Even so, half of the Bi State funds are for this project!!! See the attached copy of the Bi State II proposal. We as taxpayers have been asked to invest in a blind pool. In business investing, the SEC requires huge disclosure of the risks in blind pools. Why is this not so in public taxpayer investing?

For these two reasons, I don’t think BI State II is a good proposal. This comes from a person who supports a regional concept of the Kansas City area and buys tickets to both artistic and sports events. I just think that Bi State II needs reworked or broken into manageable pieces to get the impact that we need from our tax dollars.

Please make up your own mind, but I wanted to follow up with you. I appreciate your prior support in the downtown ballpark effort.
frankieTCU

A downtown development proposal

Post by frankieTCU »

An Economic Development Proposal
For the KC Metro Area
June 16, 2004

Downtown KC needs a major league baseball park.

Why?
Based on 2003 Royal’s attendance, a baseball park could bring over 21,900 average people a game downtown 81 times per year. New downtown ballparks tend to increase attendance over old levels even more. This influx of people in a downtown area drives the development of restaurants, night life, tourist attractions, living space and businesses. We can't capitalize on these benefits in a standalone suburban stadium such as the K.

Why not a project like a downtown arena?
While nice additions with positive influence, arenas, football stadiums and similar projects do not provide the same impact in sheer numbers that a baseball stadium provides. Additionally, the consistency of ballpark attendance makes it easier for surrounding businesses to plan. Other projects are important, second phase additions to build on the momentum that a ballpark provides.

How do we know that this will work?
Ask Denver, Cleveland, Baltimore, St. Louis, Houston and other cities who have built downtown ballparks.

Why now?
A ballpark should be considered now:
• Before we make a long term tax commitment to improve the aging K.
• While downtown real estate values make the construction of a ballpark affordable.
• While projects such as the new performing arts center, a new downtown arena and the H&R Block headquarters add convergence to the impact.

How do we overcome the political divisions of the state line, county lines and community goals?
Fund the community's share of the project out of tax dollars in a reformed bi-state tax with a commission appointed from both states. Supplement these taxes with either taxes on hotels, parking, rental cars and event tickets (including ball games) in the KC metro area on both sides of the state line to pay bonds to fund the project. In addition, consider a tax increment district around the stadium using incremental tax dollars created by businesses and development around the stadium.

Why do I want this project as a Johnson County resident or non-resident of KCMO?
• First, a strong urban core attracts young professionals, tourists, retirees and those who prefer urban diversions to the family life of suburbia. These people help drive new businesses and round out economic development by fostering an attractive place for business. This development has positive impact for Johnson and other counties in terms of jobs and dollars spent even though focused on downtown KCMO.
• Second, many urban dwellers later move to suburbia and set their roots even deeper into the community fostering development in areas like Johnson County.
• Finally, without a vibrant urban center it is more difficult to attract new businesses to the metro area, including Johnson and surrounding counties, to foster growth. We need to attract more Kansas City area headquartered businesses to fuel a growing economy.

What about the commute?
The commute downtown is really no worse than the commute to the K today. Downtown has the added advantage of having many surface street alternatives. Downtown is more central than the Truman complex and a better commute for many.

What about the parking?
Most baseball games occur during non-business hours and provide additional sources of revenue to parking operators (and tax revenue from parking). The few games during business hours often derive attendance from those people working in or near downtown who play “hookieâ€