New Mizzou Endzone Project

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
shinatoo
Ambassador

New Mizzou Endzone Project

Post by shinatoo »

Mizzou posted pics for new endzone facility today.

http://mutigers.com/news/2016/12/16/foo ... shape.aspx

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: New Mizzou Endzone Project

Post by StL_Dan »

I'm excited to see the finished project. I think it will add a lot to the already good atmosphere at Faurot.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Do people who donate to stadiums like this get a tax write off? It seems giving to a sports team shouldn’t get a break for donors.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Personal seat license payments for season tickets are no longer tax-deductible, but I don't know if other sorts of donations to athletic departments still are.

Given that the only one I heard about was this specific change, I suspect that everything else that previously was tax-deductible still is.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

beautyfromashes wrote:Do people who donate to stadiums like this get a tax write off? It seems giving to a sports team shouldn’t get a break for donors.
I could be wrong, but I think it depends on if you get a benefit from the donation. It used to be that these donations were 80% deductible if you receive priority seating, team access, a mug, etc. Now, I think they require you to fully waive all "rewards" for the donation to get a tax benefit.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Great series in the Columbian about Mizzou's move to the SEC. The last one is about declining football attendance across the country and the move to downsize stadiums.

https://www.columbiamissourian.com/spor ... b6f2f.html
Following a trend
Missouri, and the other athletic departments that have undertaken similar projects in recent years, were by no means pioneers in their thinking. Stanford senior athletic director Ray Purpur drew the ire of school alumni in 2006 when the university’s Board of Trustees approved a $95 million plan to shrink its stadium capacity from 85,000 seats to 50,000, even though the Cardinal’s football team drew fewer than 35,000 fans for most games. Much of that criticism centered around the “lavish spending” associated with intercollegiate athletics, according to the New York Times. Stanford took a gamble on a program that finished 1-11 the previous season and hadn’t recorded a winning season in five years.