Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by ToDactivist »

StL_Dan wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:05 pm This is exactly where I have always envisioned a downtown stadium in KC being built. Not sure why there are high rises directly north of the stadium in your rendering cutting off the view of downtown, but, otherwise it's exactly as I've envisioned it since working near Wash Park back in the late 90's/early 2000's.
normalthings wrote:2005 Royals Washington Park Site Overview

My 2018 Updated Renderings

View from West/Southwest
View from the bottom of the memorial
Union Hill Aerial
Northeast Aerial
Link to all images
https://imgur.com/a/ZQJR3w4

Please let me know what you think of this. Suggestions are welcomed. I could make something like this for the Northloop as well.

The stadium itself is very similar to Wrigley in Chicago. A lack of horizontal space is combatted by moving support areas and such(kitchens, dinning rooms, etc) below grade. The site has a lot of below grade space that can be utilized for such purposes.

I removed the game day plaza to allow for more seating and hotels/apartments/office spaces and associated spaces. Every potential revenue producing space must be capitalized on inorder to make the financing for this project work.

Why this site?:
1. The land is already owned by KCMO and Union Station.
2. No highway removal is required to get this going, unlike the northloop site.
3.The parcels included in my plan are hard to activate, unlike the North loop which would already have been built on by now.
5. I believe a Northloop stadium would turn into a sprawling suburban site in a prime downtown location. The limitations of the Washington Park site make sure the stadium and associated structures do not sprawl.

Worries: Traffic is definitely a concern at this site. Main should be closed to cars on game day to 1. preserve streetcar performance and 2. serve as a sort of pedestrian zone. This plan relies on a streetcar expansion, bussing, and hopefully LR to make the car problem manageable.
Yes I like to see a north loop rendering! Had seen one in past but faced wrong way. must be NE of course. and should fit maybe with overhang onto Main for all weather trolley stop. remove flash cube of course. parking under newly covered i-70.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

My big worry about building the stadium downtown is how much parking they're going to want, and how much surface parking they'll want.

I would have loved a downtown stadium before, but I think that was the chance. We're doing just fine without it. If it does come downtown, I want it to be on our terms, not theirs.
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:16 pm My big worry about building the stadium downtown is how much parking they're going to want, and how much surface parking they'll want.

I would have loved a downtown stadium before, but I think that was the chance. We're doing just fine without it. If it does come downtown, I want it to be on our terms, not theirs.
Agreed on terms...get it away from Glass(?) first. Parking solved easily in the ULI I-70 transformation. Really the only solution that seems viable for transit, ingress/egress, parking, open spaces, rehab or adjacent areas = prop tax rev, sale tax rev, land sales from newly formed deck over parking. duh.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I would trade a stadium for transit system funding.

Roll a streetcar line extension into construction, bus line improvements, commuter rail financial support if it's in the right spot.
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

why either or? Denver did all and look where it went. Airport, People Mover then Light Rail, Downtown stadiums - all three. thats a commitment to an vibrant urban lifestyle.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

ToDactivist wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:01 pm why either or? Denver did all and look where it went. Airport, People Mover then Light Rail, Downtown stadiums - all three. thats a commitment to an vibrant urban lifestyle.
Sorry, I meant more in the idea of each gives and gets something.

The team gets a stadium with pairing and the city gets transit funding from the team.
Eventually need to expand the type of funding sources available.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I'm all for downtown-ish baseball, but I'd prefer not have it a block from my house.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:51 pm I'm all for downtown-ish baseball, but I'd prefer not have it a block from my house.
NIMBY!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:08 pm
smh wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:51 pm I'm all for downtown-ish baseball, but I'd prefer not have it a block from my house.
NIMBY!
Sigh. In this case I must admit it.

I feel like the negative externalities of 20,000 people a block away 82 days a year would just be a little much.

"But Wrigleyville!" Yeah, I dunno.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Also, Wrigley isn't exactly in the middle of downtown
mykn

Post by mykn »

Let's just replace the Costco/Home Depot with a stadium and be done with it.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:50 pm
flyingember wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:08 pm
NIMBY!
Sigh. In this case I must admit it.

I feel like the negative externalities of 20,000 people a block away 82 days a year would just be a little much.

"But Wrigleyville!" Yeah, I dunno.
It is admittedly a difficult subject for a neighborhood.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:56 pm Also, Wrigley isn't exactly in the middle of downtown
Also wrigleyville is fucking horrible.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Oh come on, it's fine as a neighborhood and serves a purpose for people there. I have no problem with a drunk, young, sports neighborhood. I just have no faith that KC will pull it off.

I see a stadium surrounded by parking lots and garages. Also, Kansas City isn't Chicago. Putting a stadium in the middle of downtown is a bigger deal.
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:06 pm Oh come on, it's fine as a neighborhood and serves a purpose for people there. I have no problem with a drunk, young, sports neighborhood. I just have no faith that KC will pull it off.

I see a stadium surrounded by parking lots and garages. Also, Kansas City isn't Chicago. Putting a stadium in the middle of downtown is a bigger deal.
nooth loop stop is already replete with underused parking garages - commerce - catholics - denizen - library - ymca - others plus (sub)surface parking under I-70 lid when this happens at same time. no new parking needed is concept plus that streetcar thingy....
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

ToDactivist wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:56 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:06 pm Oh come on, it's fine as a neighborhood and serves a purpose for people there. I have no problem with a drunk, young, sports neighborhood. I just have no faith that KC will pull it off.

nooth loop stop is already replete with underused parking garages - commerce - catholics - denizen - library - ymca - others plus (sub)surface parking under I-70 lid when this happens at same time. no new parking needed is concept plus that streetcar thingy....
I'd rather it go in a downtown adjacent, but less developed area. This would have massive impacts to the surroundings residential areas...not to mention turning Delaware into Wrigleyville. I'm just not sure that's what we want for the area. It also rewards decades of Kemper landbanking which I'm not crazy about either.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

I wrote this on the flashcube thread but I'm just gonna leave it here where it's also relevant.
TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:53 am Image

This is probably the most detailed depiction of this scheme I've come across. Notice that they have to intrude upon freeway space here, even after demolishing both the flashcube and 609 central. Assuming the flashcube is kept, the only way this plan could even be plausible would be if the north loop was removed and the stadium was partially sat on the land. If that occurred, though, it would negate a benefit of having the thing in that location in the first place, that being freeway access. It would still require 609's demolition. I'm sorry, but I'd hate seeing a last remnant of an otherwise obliterated neighborhood be demolished for schlock like this.

I still have yet to fathom why this particular site is so attractive to people here. The grid is already so thoroughly wrecked around there; why do we need to plop a huge superblock in there (which would also need an huge amount of adjacent parking, mind you) when we have an opportunity to right such a major wrong? Wouldn't it just be rewarding the people who have been landbanking this area for so long, who've kept it a dormant division between two of downtown's most critical neighborhoods for the last half century? It's insane.

Even if it takes the better part of a century to see this area develop into a neighborhood, I'd still say it's worth avoiding having a stadium jammed into it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Project Price is now over $800million. Opportunity zones are being looked at due to potential financial bonuses. The East Loop and West Bottoms areas are both opportunity zones. West Bottoms sounds like the better option to me. Opinions?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:22 pm Project Price is now over $800million. Opportunity zones are being looked at due to potential financial bonuses. The East Loop and West Bottoms areas are both opportunity zones. West Bottoms sounds like the better option to me. Opinions?
K E E P I T O U T O F T H E L O O P
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:22 pm Project Price is now over $800million. Opportunity zones are being looked at due to potential financial bonuses. The East Loop and West Bottoms areas are both opportunity zones. West Bottoms sounds like the better option to me. Opinions?
I thought it was West Side, not West Bottoms?

edit: found it "...one is a several block corridor on the west side of Broadway between I-670 and Southwest Boulevard. "